Thread: Rubicon Trip Oct 7th - Oct 11th!

1. #1 Rubicon Trip Oct 7th - Oct 11th! 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    planning a trip this year to finally get to the Rubicon with my brother.
    probably tow out to Tahoma, park there with the tow rig then drive the jeeps around to Georgetown, camp the first night get some wheelin in the next day, camp at the lake then finish the trail then one more night camp or lodge in Tahoma or Tahoe then hang out for a day or drive back.

I will probably take the O/R trailer to haul supplies etc,.
    if you are interested in joining up let me know!
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 04-13-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

2. #2 Re: Rubicon Trip Sept 29th - Oct 5th! 
    I would be down for a trip around this time... A bit cold at night but a good time of year for a run through the rubicon. A word of advice though, Georgetown is quite a bit of a drive from Tahoma (about 2+ hours)... best bet would be to stay at the best western in Pollock Pines... it's about 10-15 mins from Icehouse road and from the base of Icehouse Road to loon lake is about 45 mins. Conversely Georgetown to the Rubicon trailhead is about a 1.5+ hour drive... just trying to save you some driving time.

Fred R.
    97 ZJ, 5" Long Arm Lift, Currie Anti-Rock, Beadlocked 35's, 231/D300 Doubler, Locked Front & Rear (Narrowed HP D44 w/ chromo shafts and Yukon Superjoints & F8.8), ARB Bull Bar & 9K winch, 1-Ton Hydro-assist steering, "Custom" body work and some other goodies...

3. #3 Rubicon Trip Oct 7th - Oct 11th! 
    Change of dates cause my brother missread his vacation time.
    And the plan has changed a bit to an out and back trek through the trail from tahoma side to the Georgetown side trailhead then back done in the 5+- days we'll be there! Open to suggestion and not set in stone!

Fred: thanks for your input and your more than welcome to join up for as much or little as you'd like!
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 04-13-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

4. #4 Re: Rubicon Trip Oct 7th - Oct 11th! 
    Well if I have some extra time off around that time I would be down to run the trail on Thursday/Friday on your way out to Tahoe... Keep me updated.

Fred R.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Crawler ZJ View Post
    Change of dates cause my brother missread his vacation time.
    And the plan has changed a bit to an out and back trek through the trail from tahoma side to the Georgetown side trailhead then back done in the 5+- days we'll be there! Open to suggestion and not set in stone!

Fred: thanks for your input and your more than welcome to join up for as much or little as you'd like!
    97 ZJ, 5" Long Arm Lift, Currie Anti-Rock, Beadlocked 35's, 231/D300 Doubler, Locked Front & Rear (Narrowed HP D44 w/ chromo shafts and Yukon Superjoints & F8.8), ARB Bull Bar & 9K winch, 1-Ton Hydro-assist steering, "Custom" body work and some other goodies...

5. #5 Re: Rubicon Trip Oct 7th - Oct 11th! 
    Still planning on going so if anybody would like to come along just let me know!

6. #6 Re: Rubicon Trip Oct 7th - Oct 11th! 
    Almost a month away!

7. #7 Re: Rubicon Trip Oct 7th - Oct 11th! 
    Question for those that have been there :
    Is out and back allowed or a good idea? Is it better traveled west-east one way or is east to west then back through!
    we have around 4-5 days trail time with 5-6 nights

8. #8 Re: Rubicon Trip Oct 7th - Oct 11th! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Crawler ZJ View Post
    Question for those that have been there :
    Is out and back allowed or a good idea? Is it better traveled west-east one way or is east to west then back through!
    we have around 4-5 days trail time with 5-6 nights
    Out and back can be done, just make sure you have enough fuel as my rig (4.0L) burns through about 3/4 of a tank running the entire trail. I've always done the trail west to east so can't comment on East to West travel of the entire trail... When we go we usually go in around 9-10ish in the morning, go to about Buck Island and will be back and loaded up on the trailer at Loon by 6ish depending on traffic and this can be done in a day going at a moderate pace. Going to miss out on your trip as I'll be traveling for business but have fun out there!

Fred R.

Thread Information