Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig.

Thread: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Figured i would share my junk. This is the condensed version. For the full version go here.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...g-low-cog.html

I got a red zj with a salvage title, 2in bb, and blown radiator as a hunting rig. She worked great(after i fixed the radiator) and we got invited on a few wheeling trips and we're hooked.

After 2 good years i overheated her and that was the end of her. So i stripped her of useful stuff and picked up the current rig

Poor little straight, uncut, stock jeep. A 93 jz with 4.0 and aw4.

Did a f/r swap and started cutting, made a bumper and some rear boatsides and had tons of fun.

93zj build. 4.0 aw4, 231, 60s, and 37s. Some cutting and some welding.

2. #2 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Fuck ya. I love this build. Lots of good ideas there.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

3. #3 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    After one two many wheeling trips on a budget lift i ripped off a lower control arm mount. Bent the other 3 front control and broke the rear upper control arms. Bigger build plans were already in the works so in the garage she went. Build plans are

-d60s (got them)
    -37s (got em)
    -frame stiffeners (done)
    -boatsides (done -ish)
    -3 link front (awaiting funds)
    -hydro assist (ordered)
    -rear leafs (got em)
    -231 swap (got it and clocked it)
    -lights, cb, winch, and the other needed wheeling stuff.

I'm staying low. 4ish inches up and lots of cutting for tire fitment. I also am keeping heat, ac, and need to be able to drive from the desert the mountains without worry for hunting trips. But i also want to be capable enough for 4.0 trails.

I know a lot of people hate on the leaf setup, but it will work better for what im wanting. i need a stable setup for towing my little camper that won't sag with a full load of camping gear. I'm not running the Baja in this thing and leaves can flex well enough to still be more than capable on the trails.

Here is where she sits now

4. #4 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post
    Fuck ya. I love this build. Lots of good ideas there.
    Thanks man! Now if i only had tools and play money my build would be half as nice as yours...

I figured i should add to the forum instead of complaining that it's dying.

5. #5 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Got the rear mostly done, it's in final mock up anyways. I'm really happy with the way it's turning out.

My tape measure puts me at a 3 inch lift. I measured 2 stock jeeps and had one at 8 1/4 and one at 7 3/4 from frame to the center of rear axle. I have about a 1 inch rear stretch and enough room for a true 38. At full bump. With the 37s that i have i have 8 inches of room for uptravel, if i bump stop at 5 inches up that should still allow for articulation travel without rubbing. And after a little gas tank skid trimming it looks like i won't have to move my gas tank.

I still need to adjust pinion angle, weld everything in, add gussets, make or buy shackles(just used the stock ones for mock up. I also need to source some longer shocks. These 9.5 inch 5100s are gonna limit this setup.

I know the perches are ugly, i needed longer ones redrilled for spring placement and no one had them in town. So i made some the they are ugly but functional and strong.

I know some people on this forum are going to hate on the leaf swap, but I've wheeled with xjs on the same setup that were mountain goats so i don't see why mine would be any different.

6. #6 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Looks good, what springs are you using in the rear?

7. #7 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Looks good, what springs are you using in the rear?
    Durango springs. They are a 5 leaf pack that is supposed to perform well with weight on them according to the xj guys.But i choose 56 inch springs because there are many other options if i needed higher, lower, stiffer, or softer springs. I could not fit 63s without killing departure angle.
    Last edited by bentwrench; 02-21-2015 at 11:59 AM.

8. #8 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Small update. Got my ram, fitting and box rebuild kit to do my hydro assist setup. 1.5x8 inch ram. For the d60s longer steering throw. I was trying to get the box tapped tonight but my little puller was not up to the task. Ill pick up a Pittman arm puller and get it done this weekend.

I also ordered everything for my front end. Hopefully it will be here next week.

9. #9 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    keep on trucking!!!! lol

sometimes i feel we are racing. such a similar build.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

10. #10 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Nice build. I plan on doing that same hydro set up in the next couple months. Are you going to run another reservoir with it?
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s
    Subscribe to our Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ClemsonOffroadClub

11. #11 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    keep on trucking!!!! lol

sometimes i feel we are racing. such a similar build.
    Wait, you mean were not racing?

We both started with the same plans, the most capable dual purpose rig we could build while keeping it low. Budget and tools dictated most of the differences.

12. #12 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Quote Originally Posted by UTChavok View Post
    Nice build. I plan on doing that same hydro set up in the next couple months. Are you going to run another reservoir with it?
    Im adding a cooler so hopefully the added capacity will mean i won't need to.

Though i just checked and my cooler is only going to add a half a qt so i may need one. Or a bigger cooler.

13. #13 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Quote Originally Posted by bentwrench View Post
    Im adding a cooler so hopefully the added capacity will mean i won't need to.

Though i just checked and my cooler is only going to add a half a qt so i may need one. Or a bigger cooler.
    Yeah I have a small cooler now, but would probably need a larger one or an external reservoir I believe. I saw some on Summit for a decent price. I won't be buying a $200 PSC res I know that much.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s
    Subscribe to our Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ClemsonOffroadClub

14. #14 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Had a little time and got another piece to the puzzle in.

Gonna clean it up tomorrow and get it back together, I've had to many beers to trust myself to finish this tonight....

Debating on an sye or a doubler, for the sake of getting this thing going an sye is probably the best option.

15. #15 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Got my hiems in from Ruffstuff and went to pick up some 1.5 .25 wall DOM. Managed to have enough time to cut and mock up my tie rod and drag link. Still need to make my pittman arm and knuckle double sheer.

I still need to figure out exact axle placement for my 2inch stretch, i couldn't take good measurements with my bent up stock arms. Ill probably just put the tires on and see where i can make everything fit.

16. #16 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    So i threw my t-case in last night to start fabbing my cross member, i was pretty irritated because the mini ball joints/tie rods that i was going to build my shift linkage with hadn't come in when they were supposed to. But as i was removing the old linkage i looked up and noticed that i could reuse what was there with almost no modding! Using the 231 yj shift arm and cutting a few inches off the stock push/pull rod on the zj linkage i just rotated the rod back and clipped it the bushing. And done! I may angle the 231 arm back a hair further for better geometry but it shifts through 2-4hi-n-4lo just the way it sits and its adjustable!

2hi

4lo

17. #17 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Finally have a day off today and made a trip down to Ballistic Fabrication today. That place is so bad for my wallet but so worth it. The guys there wheel and build and offered great advice and knew there stuff. They just got done with having a sale but hooked me up anyways. Got everything for my 3 link, rear shackles, and bushings for my motor and tranny mounts. My wife was making fun of me for being like a kid in a candy store...

Now that i have everything i need to go fab up a crossmember, brackets, and mounts!

18. #18 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Nice very nice. I like the simplicity, and pure awesomeness of building rather than buying a off the shelf run of the mill.

19. #19 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Quote Originally Posted by fischerry View Post
    Nice very nice. I like the simplicity, and pure awesomeness of building rather than buying a off the shelf run of the mill.
    Thanks man, though there isn't much simple about building it yourself.

While checking clearances for my steering and where to locate my track bar i decided i really needed to do motor mounts first.

Before

After

I think i am still going to expand on the design to tie the mount into a few more factory holes. I have seen several other build that the frame tore around the motor mount.

20. #20 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Well March was not a good month for garage time, but i was coping away where i could.

My buddy came over and wired in my switch panel, CB radio, and my interior winch controller.(the winch is turned on an off by the panel and the controller is the toggle switch to the left of the radio)

I made a tranny mount and started on a cross member. My hopes of a true flat belly skid are gone as this is as high as i could push it up without major floor surgery. And im sick of welding to the floor pan. This should be the lowest spot of the belly, the arms my be another 1/2 inch below the x member.

Im going to copy this setup, this is not my build just a borrowed pic. Driver side top link, it will save my from cutting into the passenger floor and actually helps the pinion angle throughout travel.

21. #21 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    I've been doing a ton of stuff but only seem to have a few worthy updates. Welded in the inner rails to the stiffeners, had to relief cut, bend and weld then in but I'm happy with them now. Installed both motor mounts which moved the engine forward which meant i had to move my x member forward by 3/4 of an inch. Installed a 98 2500 wagon master and a 98 zj booster. Just need to route lines and install my proportion valve. I hacked up the front 60 and made brackets and a mini truss to mount my upper link to. Still need to burn it in but i need to do some test pieces with cat iron. Ordered 309l wire to weld the truss to the pumpkin.

And pics

Mini truss, made of 1/4 plate has filler pieces going to each side of the pumpkin and i may add a few plug welds. My buddies are saying this is overkill, but as it is just one upper i would rather over build the mount.

22. #22 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 

sometimes i feel we are racing.
    Im working on the front end. Your move...

23. #23 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Got a torch and practiced welds. Post heating is what made the big difference in my test peices for cast. Stripped the axle and drilled out the knuckles for 3/4 bolts. Drill press clamps didnt work so i got creative...

24. #24 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Got some progress done on the front. All mocked up and checking clearance. Right side is full up left is at full droop for 12 inch travel shocks.

Makin links

Testing

The drag link hits the oil pan and full right full flex up. The plan for now is to bump stop it till i can reconfigure the setup. I had to trim the "frame" for the lower links to have uptravel. There is more cutting in my garage than an emo slumber party..

Still need to plate the front rails and mount my hydro assist ram.

25. #25 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Looks good man. It gets exciting when you can start cycling the suspension.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information