Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
ZJ 231 Swap - Page 4

Thread: ZJ 231 Swap

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. #76 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I am starting this swap tonight when I get home from work. My 4:1 kit should be in today. Did anybody ever do a write-up on a 4:1 install and if not...do we need/want one?
    Chuck MacLellan

www.mudrivermotorsports.com

Hey Competitors....Check out SIRA4X4.net

2. #77 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    the more info the better, I'd like to see a 4:1 install writeup
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

3. #78 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Ok.....got the 249 out tonight and threw the 231 in to get a driveshaft measurement.
    The 1 bolt that Dave mentions in his write-up.....approximately the 10 o'clock position when looking at the t-case from the front was the only bolt that gave me issues.....the other 5 came out w/ a 14mm ratchet wrench. The last one I had to remove the crossmember and lower the tranny/t-case. I then was able to get both arms up and around the t-case to get at that last bolt. I used a small 3/8 drive flex head ratchet.....it's actually a 1/4" drive ratchet w/ a 3/8" head in it......can't put too much snot into it.....but after 263K....none of the t-case bolts were very tight.
    If anybody wants.....I can take a pic of the ratchet I am talking about.

Now my 249has the long input shaft andthe 231 has a short shaft ....what really is the issue here??? Is it just a sealing problem??? I know it engages....I was messing w/ it when I had the 231 in for the DS measurement.

Hey Big Dave...do you still have any input shafts laying around??? 1993 v8 is what I have.......the 231 came out of an early 90s 6cyl YJ. From what I heard....if I ordered the 4:1 kit correctly....it should be a non-issue.

Has anyone seen the extended seals that Tera makes?? I have one and it looks like it should work if the shaft length difference was shorter....like going from an intermediate shaft to a short shaft.....or a long shaft to an intermediate shaft.....what it does is extend the seal out towards the t-case approx a 1/2"

Now as far as the 4:1 write-up is concerned.....I'll be happy to do it....but this is my first time doing this conversion.
    Let me know.
    Chuck MacLellan

www.mudrivermotorsports.com

Hey Competitors....Check out SIRA4X4.net

4. #79 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Was there ever a writeup on the 4:1?
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

5. #80 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    My understanding was that the 4:1 was UBER-easy to install, they just send you a new front case half and some other stuff and you just re-assemble the case with the new parts.

6. #81 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Yeah, I looked at a writeup on 4x4 wire and it's basically just swapping over some parts to the new front half. I'm curious about the strength of the kit and the long term reliability.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

7. #82 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I have a buddy with one in his TJ and he has had no problems for the past few years he has had it installed
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    We're all insane here...

8. #83 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Johnstown Pa, home of all the major floods
    anyone know where to get this 4:1 kit for the the 231, if so hook us up with a link. i will be doing the 231 swap within the next few weeks since my 249 is ready to explode, it grinds real bad in 4Lo.
    98 5.9L, 2" BB, 30" BFG AT/KO, k & N FNPK2, brush guard with KC slimline lights, taillight guards, magnaflow exhaust, 8.8 racing plug wires, MSD coil pack.

2012 JKU Rubicon

91 S10 with 400 hp, 35" baja claws, dana 300 w/ 4:1, dana 60's almost ready to go in.

2011 Ram Hemi tow rig

9. #84 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Here ya go. Next time maybe you should read the whole thread, it was in there.

http://www.teraflex.biz/pages/product_results.php
    96 ZJ, 5.2L, 231

10. #85 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    so do you have to do anything with the front driveshaft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Play View Post
    I'll probably go to Hell for that but fawk it, I'll upgrade my 1st class ticket and go for another pack of peanuts... cremation cost are on the rise anyway.

11. #86 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Rawr Lifetime Supporter jfowlzj95's Avatar
    Nothing needed to be done with the front, the rear was the only change for me.
    Last edited by jfowlzj95; 10-01-2007 at 03:39 PM.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    07 Cummins Fire Truck, it tow.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

12. #87 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I think the concern is for us ZJ guys not to try to use one of the later TC's that have no speedometer hole at all. You can easily switch a sensor, but if the case has no hole, you have no speedo.
    Well, if you use an SYE you'll gain a hole for the speedo, I used a 2000 Dakota 231 T-case, and put in an advanced adapters SYE.

13. #88 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    What would I have to do to put a 231 from an '89 blazer in my '94? The guy that has it for sale said that it is a 27 spline. Would the input shaft from my 249 have the same diameter and gear cut? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I can get it for cheap and if it works then I might get it rather than a Jeep 231.

Also, arent the internals of the Chevys stronger than the Jeeps?

14. #89 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by 94laredo View Post
    What would I have to do to put a 231 from an '89 blazer in my '94? The guy that has it for sale said that it is a 27 spline. Would the input shaft from my 249 have the same diameter and gear cut? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I can get it for cheap and if it works then I might get it rather than a Jeep 231.

Also, arent the internals of the Chevys stronger than the Jeeps?
    you know junk yards are filled with Jeep cherokees that have 231's and they are cheap and pretty much any 94 on with a 231 case has the right output spline.

15. #90 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by jfowlzj95 View Post
    Nothing needed to be done with the front, the rear was the only change for me.
    I'm doing a swap as well, but I'll be doing it the same time as my 8.8. The longer pinion may negate the extra length required by the 231. I'll have to wait and measure once everythings under there.

Anyone with a 8.8 and a 231 mind measuring their rear driveshaft?
    My Junk
    ! ______
    / ] ] ]\___\,__
    L--|-|-|---[]|||[]
    ()_)....()_)---)_)

93' 5.2L, 35" Cooper Discovers, Custom Bumpers, CB, SOA rear, 8.8, 4.5" front springs, Warn M8000, 231, some other junk.

16. #91 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    I didn't think there was a need to post a new thread when this one has so much info. I think I answered my own question, but I need confirmation.
    I just swapped a 242 in and got rid of the 249. The install went went well, and the input shafts matched right up. I also have a SYE and new drive shaft. I have the AW4 and that trans is huge. It was in the way of almost every bolt I had to remove!

The 242 has a new 3-pin VSS:
    Name:  242vssgear.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  13.1 KB

My 249 has a 2-wire vss that looks like this:
    Name:  my249vssgear.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  5.7 KB
    I was going to swap the sensors out, but the old one is cracked (shown in red) and I can't reuse it.
    Anyone have the 2-wire and convert to the 3 wire style? is there a way to get the 3 pin sensor to work with a 2-pin harness?
    If not, I'll have to salvage the old part that mounts to the tc and get a new 2-wire VSS.

Other than this small snag, I'm glad to have the 2 high option. Now I can start going to emissions every 2 years instead of every year! (They can't run the full-time 4 wheel drives on their dyno, so they make me come every year. Lame.)
    I'm running without my speedo right now and using my GPS for a monitor my speed .
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    I no longer have a GF, and I suddenly find myself with extra money, and extra time to go wheeling. IT KICKS ASS!
    Damn it. I bought a JK, so no more money for wheeling!

Dan
    Phx-93 ZJ

Specializing exclusively in *HIGH-END QUALITY* Parts and Accessories for Grand Cherokees, Cherokees, and Wranglers since 1999

17. #92 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I've got a 242, do I WANT to swap in a 231?
    I've got one from a 98 4.0 XJ laying about.
    new zj?

18. #93 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Member Grand Slam West Planner dads5.9's Avatar
    Why??? The big gain was for all of us that had the 249 and a bad VC. The 242 is a good tcase. Keep the 231 as a spare or sell it for something that you need.
    '98 5.9L, Clayton LA on 35s

19. #94 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    ahh ok.
    new zj?

20. #95 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Ok so I'm going to pick up my 231 this saturday. Its out of a 97 TJ nd has a SYE. And the question im about to ask is kind of dumb. I have a friend who bought a new shifter linkage setup, they handle shifter thingy and all. Is this really needed? Also I'm wondering what kind of drive shafts people are using who have the SYE. I heard of one from J E Reel on another post, but I kind of dont want to spend too much money because im planning on putting my 8.8 in within the next 6 months. So im wondering what my options are, preferbly the cheapest. Will a drive shaft out of an XJ work? I have a friend who is selling 2 tom woods drive shafts, but i wont know the length i need before the swap is complete. Or am i down to getting my stock one shortened? Or just buying a whole new one. Thanks in advance for any help.

21. #96 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I just extended a stock front dshaft. It doesn't really matter if it is a front from an XJ ZJ WJ since it will need to be extended anyway.
    It's been a while but if I remember correctly mine is almost 40" from UJ center to UJ center

edit: and the shifter thingy is not needed... I'm using the stock stuff
    We're all insane here...

22. #97 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    So i will HAVE to extend the front shaft and buy a new rear shaft due to the SYE?

23. #98 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Rawr Lifetime Supporter jfowlzj95's Avatar
    I didn't have to do anything to the front shaft when I did the swap, only had to shorten the rear by 1" but you won't have to worry about that since you have an SYE. With the SYE you'll definatly have to lengthen the rear shaft, plus you'll wanna get a double cardan joint at the t-case end of the rear shaft since you got rid of the slip yoke.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    07 Cummins Fire Truck, it tow.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

24. #99 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Shouldn't need to do anything to your front shaft.

25. #100 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster View Post
    So i will HAVE to extend the front shaft and buy a new rear shaft due to the SYE?
    haha no silly! I was saying to run a front driveshaft (since it is dual cardan) in the rear for a cheaper SYE compatable rear driveshaft.
    We're all insane here...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Thread Information