Thread: Has anyone tried to install D44 parts in D44A?

1. #1 Has anyone tried to install D44 parts in D44A? 
    I've had my WJ for a couple years now. Nothing too crazy, but I've always wondered about the difference between the D44 and D44A. I posted this in another forum, so please don't flame me. I haven't found a concrete answer to this anywhere.

I know we've all dreamed of having an iron Dana 44 in our WJ's instead of the aluminum Dana 44A, so we can have more locker options, easier parts finding, etc. But has anyone actually tried to install iron dana 44 parts into a dana 44A, assuming they're both 30 spline shafts? I'm curious as to what parts exactly don't work in the 44A from the 44. If I knew how to rebuild a diff, I would try it myself. Anyone know for sure? Hypothetical, maybe say D44 ring, pinion, carrier, etc. from a 2003 TJ Rubi into a 2003 WJ D44A.
    04 WJ Laredo, 4.7, KOR 2.75", MX-6 shocks, BFG KM2 245/75R16, QTII, 4.10's, D30 True-trac, D44A Vari-Lok, Addco swaybars, Spidertrax spacers, AFE CAI, Warn XD9000i.

2. #2 Re: Has anyone tried to install D44 parts in D44A? 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    I've never heard of anyone trying it, but I think it'd be a great thing for the ZJ/WJ world if it was easy to do since that would open up a lot of options. Hopefully someone who has setup both types of axles will be able to chime in if there are obvious differences preventing it from being possible.

You might want to talk to Carl Jantz at Jantz Engineering. He has a lot of experience with getting dana parts from different axles working together. He's done the Jana 76 (D70 gears into a D60), Jana 54 (Dana 50 gears into a D44), Jana k4 (JK D44 gears into a regular D44). I haven't heard of him trying anything with the 44A. That said, I have no personal experience with his kits, but I'm just mentioning his name since he'd probably "the" guy to talk to if it hasn't been attempted. His screen name is unRL at pirate.
    http://jantzengineering.com/kitsap-c...a-hygrades.htm
    Last edited by SirFuego; 11-04-2011 at 11:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

3. #3 Re: Has anyone tried to install D44 parts in D44A? 
    I don't even think any of the parts are the same dimensions other than overall width are they? If it were possible someone would have figured it out by now. And why even go through the trouble and still be left with the aluminum housing when it would be far easier to just swap in an 8.8?
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

4. #4 Re: Has anyone tried to install D44 parts in D44A? 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    A guy on JF had his existing D44a tubes pressed into an Iron D44 center section. As far as the internals of the diff go, they're different. I believe someone on MC took a D44 spool and machined it to work in a D44a a while ago though.
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

5. #5 Re: Has anyone tried to install D44 parts in D44A? 
    Quote Originally Posted by black_zj View Post
    I don't even think any of the parts are the same dimensions other than overall width are they? If it were possible someone would have figured it out by now. And why even go through the trouble and still be left with the aluminum housing when it would be far easier to just swap in an 8.8?
    I know there are better/other options out there. It's just a question that I've been wondering about.

Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
    A guy on JF had his existing D44a tubes pressed into an Iron D44 center section. As far as the internals of the diff go, they're different. I believe someone on MC took a D44 spool and machined it to work in a D44a a while ago though.
    Thanks Arlo. I've seen that thread, and he's totally happy with the swap he did. So basically the D44 and D44A are completely different diffs (dimensionally) - it's not just the aluminum housing. That's always the topic when comparing the two, not more specifics like "none of the parts are interchangeable". It sounds like none of them are, but I was more curious about the fitment into pumpkin. What I really wanted to know was it possible to put all D44 guts (shafts, r&p, locker, etc) into the D44A tubes and pumpking (i.e. no welding, some grinding). Sounds like even the bearings, shafts, etc. all have different specs. I might call jantz to see what they're take is on it. I'm sure this would have been figured out in the '90's, if it was possible.
    04 WJ Laredo, 4.7, KOR 2.75", MX-6 shocks, BFG KM2 245/75R16, QTII, 4.10's, D30 True-trac, D44A Vari-Lok, Addco swaybars, Spidertrax spacers, AFE CAI, Warn XD9000i.

6. #6 Re: Has anyone tried to install D44 parts in D44A? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
    I know there are better/other options out there. It's just a question that I've been wondering about.

Thanks Arlo. I've seen that thread, and he's totally happy with the swap he did. So basically the D44 and D44A are completely different diffs (dimensionally) - it's not just the aluminum housing. That's always the topic when comparing the two, not more specifics like "none of the parts are interchangeable". It sounds like none of them are, but I was more curious about the fitment into pumpkin. What I really wanted to know was it possible to put all D44 guts (shafts, r&p, locker, etc) into the D44A tubes and pumpking (i.e. no welding, some grinding). Sounds like even the bearings, shafts, etc. all have different specs. I might call jantz to see what they're take is on it. I'm sure this would have been figured out in the '90's, if it was possible.
    Why would you want or need to, the internal parts are not the weak point on the 44a.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

7. #7 Re: Has anyone tried to install D44 parts in D44A? 
    This is my first post on here and i have to ask are you all dumb asss , the d44a is a heavy duty 44 dana 60 size pinion and thicker ring gear that said that said the housing is the weak link. If anything was swapped it would be 44a ring and pinion in a reg 44

8. #8 Re: Has anyone tried to install D44 parts in D44A? 
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwulf View Post
    This is my first post on here and i have to ask are you all dumb asss , the d44a is a heavy duty 44 dana 60 size pinion and thicker ring gear that said that said the housing is the weak link. If anything was swapped it would be 44a ring and pinion in a reg 44
    No need to be rude, armchair tough guy. -= This is a newb forum, and I willingly admitted that I knew they were different, just wondering what about them was different. Go back and eat your hot pockets and update your MySpace page. I'm sure there are plenty of old threads that you can respond to.

9. #9 Re: Has anyone tried to install D44 parts in D44A? 
    No problem planetcat was not directed to you but maybe the others that posted and did not inform you about the d44a

10. #10 Re: Has anyone tried to install D44 parts in D44A? 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwulf View Post
    This is my first post on here and i have to ask are you all dumb asss ,
    Hmmm. I see some irony here....
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

Thread Information