Thread: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    true that. then give them the cherping cricket routine. or designate ONE person to delete their posts and remind them via a PM that this is an advanced tech forum. flaming them withing the threads is pointless. either the policy needs to be to ignore them... or just delete them on the spot... one too many deletions and the person is banned.
    - Muddy ZJ -

1997 4.0L ZJ [Daily Driver]
    1996 ---- ZJ [Trail Rig]
    1977 4.2L CJ5 [Project Rig]
    1968 Kaiser M715 [Tow Rig]

CB = "Blackice"

building a jeep, one broken part a time

2. #27 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Dave's Nurse Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Staff
    Okay...I was gonna come in here and start screaming, but you took the air out of me.

damn it.

you do have a point.

I'm sick of the f'in noobs. Budget boosts? Air pressure? this is google shit and JU shit. It shouldn't be on Mallcrawlin. Yes, we were all noobs at one point. Hell, for a lot of shit I still am. But you don't see me posting up asinine questions. I ask them in the privacy of my own home to my resident shop bitch.

The point is, this site was not created to cater to noobs and as far as I know, has no intention to start doing so. Do we want more people to move from the noob status ot hard core? Sure. Are we willing to give them a little slack...a little bit. But that is it. Since the other sites have been having issues and since MC has gained in popularity we've seem more noobish questions. Do we want to pick up some of the slack...in certain area's maybe.

But some of this shit has got to stop.

Deleting threads might work but hell, we (like I do any of this..not!) don't have enough mods to police the boards as it is. It takes time to do this shit. Having a minimun number of posts before you can post in tech threads is easier and requires no more man power. If you think you are advanced enough to not need the "minimum" send a PM to Dave or Matt and prove it.

Nuff said
    ~Pam -

"Pressure - it can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond - or an average person into a perfect basket case"

3. #28 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    I would hate to see this site turn into JU with 10 threads everyday on tire size and BB. On the other hand, just going by post count is a little unfair. Hell I still don't have a 100 posts and although I don't have alot of posts, I sure as hell am not a newbie! If I still had to only post in newbie forum I wouldn't be here at all.
    1997 Limited on 35's, 7" long arm and F/R d44's with alloy's, superoints and other stuff.

4. #29 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    i agree that a post count would be wrong to determine who's a noob and who's not

i've only got like maybe 7 or 8 posts...but i'm damn sure i'm not a noob, u can pull my jeepin gangsta file and see for your self...i know just as much about zj's as i do on my own xj, and i've never even owned one!

basically what i'm saying, if u confine us to a section based on posts, i won't have enough patience answering bullshit questions just to finally be able to comment on serious tech....which is the very reason why i enjoy ya'lls company!
    the "open diff assassin" + "cdb" = good times!

5. #30 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    The post count requirement will NOT be a 100% everybody has to follow it rule. Basically if someone feels that they should be allowed to post in the advanced tech forums, they can contact the admin/mod staff and we can go from there. And newbs will not be constrained to just the newb forum, they just won't be able to START a new thread in an advanced tech forum.

6. #31 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Back in the day when I followed and raced roadrace motorcycles the novice/nervous riders had to have a duct-tape X across the back of their leathers, so maybe noob's could have a different color for their posts to make it easier to spot and skip them if you want.

Also, can a system be put in place for the mods to give points to the known noobs that make good posts and after the mods can tell that they give value to the board, the noob status can be lifted.

I also like the "subscribe to post" idea, maybe you get two posts before you have to subscibe in case of emergencies, but basically it is economics. If it costs to post they are more likely to not post stupid questions and use the search.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

7. #32 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Damn, Yall are getting Hard Core over here......I love it! I frequent most of my time at JF and I must say I get fed up with all the crap over there. I hope this place stays hard core tech. Someday(a year or two) when I start my build, I hope to still be a member here and look at all the ideas/problems other people had with their builds. Being able to see cage ideas, home made suspensions, gutted/doorless zj, and how the owners did all the work is priceless to me.

I know I sold out and got a TJ, but the zj is still in the back yard coverd waiting to be gutted! I frequent here a few times a month to see if anything has changed, look at users projects, and if I see a topic that I may could help on I will offer up my advice. I plan on using this site to host my build up project.

I have one question, will those of us that have a relativley low post count, but have been here a while, will we be "grandfathered" in on any new policies?

I don't know how hard it would be to create this:
    Paying members will be able to vote on a potential newbie or non tech thread. Set the vote limit to 3 or 5 and when that number is reached the thread is either closed, moved, or remains open. A system like this would allow supporting members who are always on here with nothing better to do, to "moderate" in the absense of the few mods. When they vote they will also have to put in a short reason of why the voted the way they did.

Example: If user xyz vote "close" the reason could be "this site's focus is not on gas mileage with a particular tire size, please visit jf or ju for this type of issue"

Example 2: xyz vote "move" reason "this is a topic for the newbie tech section"

If you wanted, you could even tie in a ratio to the newbie that showed how many threads remains open compared to closed.

Well Good Luck Dave and Matt!
    --'99 WJ 4" lift, 285's, custom D ring mounts, Custom sliders, engine #2, 247-242 swap, work in progress --

8. #33 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter TrojanMan's Avatar
    There is another thing to consider I guess.. the gray area. I'm not as hardcore as most of you guys, but i'm definately not on JU status. JU is declining as 80% of new threads aren't even on BB's anymore - they're just absolute nonsense like about 20" wheels, car polishes, OMG I LUV MY NEW ZJ LOL, etc. No i've never designed a custom 4 link suspension, my rig is still basically stock.. but I do have some key mods and JU is basically useless to me. I'm not really 100% sure what i'm getting at here haha.. but I just want people like me to be considered when you change any kind of format to the site. As the other forums decline the gray area between newb and mallcrawlin grows and the people have to fit in somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    This thread proves that wheeling is better than the internet.
    Weavsworld: i dont know shit about MC, i just make it work

9. #34 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan
    There is another thing to consider I guess.. the gray area. I'm not as hardcore as most of you guys, but i'm definately not on JU status. JU is declining as 80% of new threads aren't even on BB's anymore - they're just absolute nonsense like about 20" wheels, car polishes, OMG I LUV MY NEW ZJ LOL, etc. No i've never designed a custom 4 link suspension, my rig is still basically stock.. but I do have some key mods and JU is basically useless to me. I'm not really 100% sure what i'm getting at here haha.. but I just want people like me to be considered when you change any kind of format to the site. As the other forums decline the gray area between newb and mallcrawlin grows and the people have to fit in somewhere.

I'm the same way. I may not know anything about roll cages or 4 links, but I can hold my own in the automotive industry. I've restored a buddy's 66 mustang, made a motor and fuel managment system for his MS protege, lifted my rig, and am working on my 4wd swap. I'm around here to learn about all the hardcore stuff though.

10. #35 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    And you both have WELL over any minimum post requirements we would have, you've got nothing to worry about.

11. #36 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    JU definately has it's place though. I stop by there every once in a while for a good laugh, or to sell a HP30 for a $10,000
    1997 Limited on 35's, 7" long arm and F/R d44's with alloy's, superoints and other stuff.

12. #37 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ
    I personally feel that allowing noobs to post replies in the advanced tech forums is okay, but not starting their own threads, unless they prove to the staff that they should be able to post there. If a noob posts in a thread about designing a 4-link or something like that to get clarification on something and a more experienced members answers their question, one of the purposes of this board has been served.
    you mean liek the newb who posted abotu airbag helper springs in my air shock calculator thread.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

13. #38 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    hahaha there is a guy in my local club putting a body lift on his XJ.................by putting the XJ body on a CJ frame or at least thats what his plans are
    that sounds so badass. i was thinking the other night and wondering if anybody had ever cut off the frame rails on a zj/xj and fabbed a boxed frame. id only do this mod so i could run a body lift though. haha jk. it sounds like somebody has had to have done it but the cost and time to do it sounds like a waste. if i really want a frame id buy a toyota.
    97 zj ltd. 5.2, 3.5 RE w/ adj track bar, 32 maxxis buckshots

14. #39 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    and for actually contributing to this discussion... i am still a newb and believe i will be for a number of years. i think that allowing all newbs to post in all forums for example advanced tech wouldnt be an issue. i dont think i will have a question that warrants posting in that forum any time soon, nor would any other newb. if somebody posts in the advanced tech about a BB or what lift/ tires size shit then i think that the mods should exercise their authority. not all newbs are dumb but the ones that are and are only using this forum for stuff that can be googled or even wikipediaed shouldnt be here.

also the feature that allows people to ignore newb forum posts would suck for me. im honestly trying to grow in the hobby and figure out more. how am i going to do this when nobody with experience is looking at my posts. eventually all the people looking and posting in the newb forum will be newbs and then it will turn in to nagca. you might as well rename the newb forum "Little NAGCA." i started up here to get away from the unbelievable gayness that pervades most of NAGACA. i think better and stricter modding is all that is needed to improve the this site as of now.

15. #40 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    one more thing. a really cool feature would be for people with high rep power(not mods) to be allowed to nominate a post for deletion. if more than 3 people nominate the post for deletion, the post will be deleted. this deletion however must be approved by a mod and the decision can be vetoed by the mods as well.

also id like to point out that i spelled NAGCA wrong in the previous post, please focus on what i'm trying to say not my stupid spelling mistakes. i dont want to edit it.

16. #41 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    So the rules have been in effect for a few months if you hadn't noticed . . . .

And as for the nominating a thread to be deleted thing, there's this little button under everyone's username on every post they make where you can report the post/thread to a mod.

17. #42 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    There should almost be a section for questions asked to the Advanced group, you know? Like it's not really a noob question, but it's something someone could use help on, but doesn't want to hear a bunch of BS from the noob forum group. I dunno, My posts don't allow me into that forum quite yet, so I tend to hope some of the wiser fellows see some of the questions. I mean, in reality, we're all learning from eachother (Some are just learning their own lack of intelligence).
    new zj?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information