Thread: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Just an FYI that Matt and I will be working on some new rules to help keep the focus of this board as it was originally intended. Due to lackluster management on some of the other boards, MallCrawlin is becoming even more popular than Matt or I EVER dreamed of. One of the new rules we're working on is a minimum post requirement to be able to post in the advanced tech forums. That should make our jobs easier by confining all of this newbtastic bullshit to the newbie forum where it belongs, and make it so those of us who don't really give a flying fuck what the difference is between two different budget boosts can skip right over those posts.

If we had more time on our hands we could come up with some quiz or something for noobs to pass, but frankly we dont have that much time.

I'm also going to ease up on the rules of flaming newbies for shitferbrains ideas. I don't want this to turn into Pirate where someone gets flamed anytime they have a new idea, but I'm getting pretty tired of all of this newbie bullshit that's been going around here lately.

2. #2 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Admin
    Can you tell Dave and I get annoyed easily?

We're coming up with the what / how now, should have a solution implimented in a week or two. I'm hoping to give the option for users to ignore the newb forums entirely if they want to.

3. #3 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Instead of an option to ignore the noob posts, why not just not visit the forum? Or click on the link?

Are you finding noobs starting new threads in the advanced tech sections or replying to threads that is bothersome? If it is the former how about they can't start a new thread, but can reply (ie: ask questions) to an existing thread?
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

4. #4 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Admin
    Not starting a thread is one way to go, the biggest issue is that most of us browse the forums by "view new posts" - this returns ALL new osts from ALL open forums.

I'm creating a group people can add themselves to, which will ignore certain forums. It's part of a few changes that give people the option to ignore dumb threads only if they want to.

5. #5 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    I'm hoping to give the option for users to ignore the newb forums entirely if they want to.
    Just to be devil's advocate again... the whole purpose of a newb forum (at least what i thought its purpose was) is to allow a newb to learn from others with more experience, not rattle hogwash back and forth with other ignorant newbs for a week until an unsuspecting viewer of the thread accidentally opens it and then feels the need jab a hot poker in their eye after being subjected to said hogwash.

What about this:
    Newbs are allowed to post in any tech forum on the board...if they're a knowledgeable newb they can contribute good info right off the bat...if they're a newbtastic newb they can post in any forum, but obviously newbish posts in tech forums will be moved/deleted ASAP (and any newb with a blatant disregard for forum posting rules will feel the wrath of Dave's Super-Cyber-Old Spice and be deodorized from the board for good. So basically that remains the same as it is now.
    However, to REPLY to a post in a newb forum, you must have at least 100 or 200 posts, so that the newb forum will have the original posts being made by the newb, but all the replies to the newb *should* be from more knowledgeable members offering accurate advice...and that should eliminate the infestation of "My budget boost beat up your budget boost" types of threads.

I also sort of like the idea of the "quiz," but the problem with that is you may have someone (for example) who is extremely knowledgeable about fabrication but knows absolutetly nothing about suspension...and they get held at the bottom which ain't right.

-habib-
    1993 Trashcan, 7/8 Ton, 37's

Some people play golf, others enjoy football...I just really like fucking with people.

Vote REPUBLICAN.......because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE!!!

6. #6 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I personally feel that allowing noobs to post replies in the advanced tech forums is okay, but not starting their own threads, unless they prove to the staff that they should be able to post there. If a noob posts in a thread about designing a 4-link or something like that to get clarification on something and a more experienced members answers their question, one of the purposes of this board has been served.

7. #7 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    I like the idea of the quiz, however Ron did bring up a good point about someone with a huge knowledge base in fab, and little to none in susp. However, if the quiz were only used to "break" or get past newbitron status from the get-go, (instead of going through 100-200 posts) it might be the best of both?

True, this does make it more complicated for the geek squad (and I say that with respect) so that is also a factor.

Options:
    -Sign up for MC, pass the quiz, post anywhere you want right from the get-go.

-Sign up for MC, fail the quiz, wait 100-200 posts before you can start threads in the advanced tech.

Does this make MC sound elite and "better" than others? Well, maybe; however the intent of this is to preserve the place that people aim to get to. Since there is a newbie section where someone can get correct info, I really don't see it as a closed door.

8. #8 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    how about a quiz that they have to USE THE SEARCH to pass and also include the 100-200 post thing but maybe if they pay to be a supporting member they don't have to wait the 100-200 posts since the $$ helps the site and that is some incentive to become a supporting member
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

9. #9 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    So someone could post a couple hundred times in Chit-Chat and be able to start a new post in a tech forum, and they wouldn't be either any smarter or more qualified to contribute.

I'd favor either a quiz or something that would prove to the mods -Dave, Matt, whoever, that they can ask intelligent questions, know how to search, or otherwise qualify to post in the advanced tech.

Or maybe all newb posts have to have moderator approval? Can't the moderator review function be set so that posts under a certian post count have to be reviewed before they get posted? I know it would be a pain in the ass, but maybe that solves stuff?
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

10. #10 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache
    how about a quiz that they have to USE THE SEARCH to pass and also include the 100-200 post thing but maybe if they pay to be a supporting member they don't have to wait the 100-200 posts since the $$ helps the site and that is some incentive to become a supporting member
    Could make it like a scavenger hunt using the search function. for example
    1. What does BB stand for?
    2. What size tire can I run on the BB?
    3. Why is my gas milage so bad?
    4. Does anyone make 8" coils so I dont have to trim for 35's
    93 zj, 7" KOR longarm kit, 33's

Sounds good Blaine, I can't wait to gobble up your sausage! -Puma

11. #11 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    All of the above suggestions sound basically workable, but will probably hurt the forums in the long run.

You have designed a forum for newbie questions, so that's really all you need. It's kind of like the problem in the US we have with illegal aliens.....we've got adequate laws on the books already, but don't really enforce them. What we really need is tougher police; for this board that is.

I would recommend adding a couple of additional morerators with the power to move a post to the newbie tech forum. They should also have the power to delete a post that is off topic or too stupid on an existing thread, leaving a "this post deleted because it was too (fill in the blank)" comment in it's place. Also, add a "three strikes and you're out" policy for people too lazy to use the seach function. If they get called on failing to use the seach 3X, no posts for 6 months.
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

12. #12 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    how about something that just redirects you to like ju or jf If you enter bb or some shit like that.

13. #13 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline
    All of the above suggestions sound basically workable, but will probably hurt the forums in the long run.
    Ignorant newbies generally do not enhance the quality of discussion about a technical topic. If you don't know what you're talking about, how can you say anything useful about it? Sure there are exceptions, but theyre the exception and not the norm. Also note that there is a difference between a person new to this website and a person new to the hobby. People new to the hobby are the ones at question in this case.

I think a quiz would be a wonderful way to bypass the post number requirement. Chit-chat posts should no longer count towards post total if this system is instituted. You probably aren't learning anything technical there anyways. There also needs to be an admin approval bypass for someone with a built rig that just found the site and wants to show everybody how he just did a propane conversion or something of an advanced technical nature.

If it's possible to make a quiz, that seems like the best alternative. Even things like, "Both front and rear driveshafts spin counterclockwise, true or false?" or "1993-1998 ZJs were available with the AMC 4.2 liter, T/F" would help separate those able to contribute to technical discussions from the clueless.

14. #14 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Admin
    I'm not making a quiz.

15. #15 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    x2 on the quiz, while it would be a great way to do it, making it work would be a PITA.

And there certainly will be the ability for someone new to the site, not the hobby, to bypass the restrictions that will be in place.

16. #16 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    IMO a quiz is a stupid idea. This is a fucking offroad website not Med School. Just delete the crap that is stupid, I know we all enjoy scaring off the newbs.

Maybe you need another mod that can help out with deleting or moving bullshit threads.

17. #17 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    I gots an ider, if you could set it up where the red actually does something. instead of a minimum post count how about only being able to post in tech if you have been given qutos from other members here. Not sure if it is able to work but it would be good for those people who know thier shit and have just found the board to reap the benifits of their knowlege. just a thought
    08 tundra double cab 5.7 4x4

I am jeepless at the moment.

Sold- Stock 03 WJ, 4.7HO. lift coming soon.

Sold-97 ZJ laredo 4.0, 242 RE BB, 31" BFG MTs, custom rear storage boxs, magnaflow hi flow cat, flow 70 series, 2.5 inch exhaust, jks quicker discos and some other crap
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2221028

18. #18 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    so can i fit 31's on a 2" body lift or not?

19. #19 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Could you guys use the rep system to you advantage?

After someone gets a certain amount of negative rep they are banned for x days. Seems like something that might work.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

20. #20 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Quote Originally Posted by violatedppl
    I gots an ider, if you could set it up where the red actually does something. instead of a minimum post count how about only being able to post in tech if you have been given qutos from other members here. Not sure if it is able to work but it would be good for those people who know thier shit and have just found the board to reap the benifits of their knowlege. just a thought
    How in the hell would you get "qutos" without posting?
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

21. #21 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaZJ
    so can i fit 31's on a 2" body lift or not?
    hahaha there is a guy in my local club putting a body lift on his XJ.................by putting the XJ body on a CJ frame or at least thats what his plans are
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

22. #22 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline
    How in the hell would you get "qutos" without posting?
    by posting in something like newb tech and than having some of the people here who know their shit, be like hey this person knows their shit. and give them the rep for it. just a thought.
    08 tundra double cab 5.7 4x4

I am jeepless at the moment.

Sold- Stock 03 WJ, 4.7HO. lift coming soon.

Sold-97 ZJ laredo 4.0, 242 RE BB, 31" BFG MTs, custom rear storage boxs, magnaflow hi flow cat, flow 70 series, 2.5 inch exhaust, jks quicker discos and some other crap
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2221028

23. #23 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Enh, if people start ignoring all of the noob forums then the noobs won't ever be able to learn anything or get answers to their questions. Although I think the majority of noob questions could be answered with a quick search on Google, I still don't think it's cool to pretend like we weren't all noobs at one point. I don't like noob posts in the hardcore forum, but it seems like virtually everything I'm seeing in the forums here is stuff that's already been covered before on one forum or another. The only thing that really irritates me is when noobs spread misinformation like it's fact. The internet is rife with shit like that. If enough people say something on the net eventually people start thinking it's true, even if it's not really the case. Maybe this site just needs more mods to keep noob stuff out of the real tech forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

24. #24 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    the simple fact of the mater is, if you don't like the newbies, don't post in their threads. no ammount of quoating, sorting posts, quizes, etc is going to prevent newbies from asking the same old shit day in and day out. as mallcrawlin picks up the slack from the other sites as they go down hill, this "problem" as so many of you see it will only get "worse".

while a patron of the thread that i think brought this on, i don't think the "newbies" are the problem. it's an attitude of some of the "old school members". i caught my shit when i first join... i knew that is the culture that exists here. but when every newbie post turns into an "i hate newbie posts" argument... well... who's the problem?

there are going to be people with 100 different opinions and 100 differnet ways of doing things. not everyone that comes to MC is going to be looking at a chopped and tube unibody grand... some of are out to make capable daily-drivers of our rigs. does that make us "newbies" - i sure hope not. i've been at this shit way to long and made too many mistakes and learned too much the hard way to be concidered a "newb". but if that's how i'm scene... i'll go back to my previous statement - maybe the problem isn't with the newbies.
    - Muddy ZJ -

1997 4.0L ZJ [Daily Driver]
    1996 ---- ZJ [Trail Rig]
    1977 4.2L CJ5 [Project Rig]
    1968 Kaiser M715 [Tow Rig]

CB = "Blackice"

building a jeep, one broken part a time

25. #25 Re: NEW FORUM RULES ON THE WAY 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    The whole point of this site is about making Grands capable OFF road. Most of the older members that I originally created this site to cater to don't really care about on-road manners. Yes it is mildly important, but it chaps my hide to see people discussing freaking budget boosts on this site. Budget boosts may not be a noob thing, but that doesn't mean they're not fucking stupid and there is ZERO fucking tech involved in a damn budget boost.

Some newbies are not the problem. The noobies that ARE the problem is the ones that can't seem to grasp simple fucking english in the description of the site that they see before they sign up and then post asinine bullshit in the tech forums that isn't even advanced enough for JU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information