Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's

Thread: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    I didn't see a writeup on this here so gonna post it for shitz and giggles:

Ok if you anybody who's anybody (ie you have lifted your WJ 4"+) then you have ripped out your washer fluid pumps & sensors. Leaving you with a reservoir that leaks as fast as you can fill it:laugh:

Forunantly if you have a WJ you're in luck of an easy swap! Unfortunantly to compensate for the I6 missing two cylinders god only allows this to work on I6's. V8's have a different air filter configuration so it won't fit. The second catch is that you need a K&N intake to make this fit - as this goes where the stock airbox was.

What you need:
    1) ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir (with or without sensors & pumps).
    2) Pumps from either the WJ or ZJ.
    3) Sensor from either the WJ or ZJ.

The pumps and sensors are interchangable, however the WJ pumps are by far superior (read larger and we all know bigger = better):
    ZJ pumps in the back, WJ pumps in the middle, and ZJ float fluid sensor in the front:

When I ripped out my connections from my stock reservoir I lost my sensor - it is somewhere in Moab on the Hells Revenge trail. So I am using the WJ Pumps with the ZJ sensor.

This is a pic of the sensor with the outside of the connector dremmeled off so I could solder directly to the pins. Since the ZJ and WJ use different connectors it isn't just plug and play.

FYI: Each connector, pump, and sensor can only plug into the connection. From left to right we have the Rear Pump, Front Pump, and the Sensor:

I snipped off my sensors connector (viewable on the bottom of the pic) and hardwired it to the sensor (solder it if you want it to last) I then drilled some holes in the engine compartment frame and ziptied the bottle to the "frame". WALA it works!

At this point I had cleaned up my garage and went to close my hood. Ahhhh crap, it is toooooo tall!!!

So out with the dremmel to cut a notch so it can sit lower:

Before:

After:

-Ryan
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

2. #2 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Good write up and pics.
    Correct. It will only fit in the V8 engine bay if you replace your factory intake with something else. I have a Turbo City tube and K&N filter, which leaves lots of room for the ZJ wash bottle and an ARB air pump.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

3. #3 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    10achik (from JF.com) couldn't get his to fit in there with the K&N intake and a ZJ bottle...maybe he just sucks...
    -Ryan

4. #4 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Can't be the standard K&N "kit" with the box around the filter. Needs to be more like the Turbo City tube and filter only for more room.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage

5. #5 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    -Ryan

6. #6 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Removing these pics because -- after several months of running the homemade air intake with K&N filter, I found the parts have been reshaped by the heat. I wouldn't encourage anybody else to try it. I've pulled out the ZJ water bottle and reinstalled the stock airbox for now. May do a full K&N intake down the road.
    Last edited by wjcando; 03-16-2009 at 11:49 PM.

7. #7 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Mine didn't have the fluid level sensor either, I drilled a hole in the side of mine and plugged it in, took all of 3 minutes :P
    Nick
    03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
    35" BFGoodrich KM2

sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
    www.carolinadriveline.com
    www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

8. #8 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    I just banged the fluid level sensor...one less thing for the jeep to beep at me about. When the washer fluid quits spraying I'll fill it back up
    2000 WJ - Stroked, Locked & Long Armed
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

9. #9 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    I just did this mod last night. I have the 04 WJ. Got the washer bottle from a ZJ that has the extra hole on top for the sensor.

It fits right in next to the master cylinder close to the drivers compartment. I still have my stock air box, so i put it further back than the other guys. It fits just fine. Hood closes with no issues. I will post up some pics once it get it totally finished.

I spent more time removing the old washer bottle because i had to drop the sway bar, and pull off all the plastic lining the fender well because i am not disco'ed or even lifted yet.

My lift is on the way... so i am working out some of the things ahead of time. This is my 1st offical mod to this sucker!

I assume the back of the fog lights are going to get messed up as well.. since they are just as close to the tires as the washer bottle was.

G-

10. #10 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Depends on the size tire you're running, my fog lights and washer bottle were fine until I put on 35's...

I'm surprised you didnt have to trim the ZJ bottle? I had to trim my ZJ bottle a bit to fit it behind the stock air box
    Nick
    03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
    35" BFGoodrich KM2

sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
    www.carolinadriveline.com
    www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

11. #11 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    im going 35's right off the bat.. it fit pretty good.. just had to rotate the washer pumps a bit, and it takes a little pressure to push down (to slightly bend out the lower mounting tab so it can sit a little lower) than just letting it rest in to the position. I had to push the abs wires over just a tad so that lower mount would fit against the inner fender, just like it does on the ZJ. I also had to move that small vacuum thingy that sits just behind the air box.. it has to move closer to the front a little.
    04 WJ, Limited, 4.7 HO, 242 Swap, 6" Clayton Longarm'd, 35" BFG KM2's, 17" WER Beadlocks OMF rings, Kevin's Sliderz, Kevins HD Tie Rod, TNT Customs Hi-Steer, Fox Bypasses, 4.56 Gears,
    Incline Winch Bumper from Frantzdesignworks.com

12. #12 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    lsrgreg if you could post some pics that would be helpful..i think i see how you did yours from looking at mine but would like to make sure

13. #13 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    OK.. got it installed.. but i will have to get a new bottle probably, since i dropped this one, and it cracked all over it because it was dry rotted from sitting in a junk yard for who knows how long..

I also capped of the sensor hole, since the yard didn't have any with a sensor. When i get a new bottle i will just install the WJ sensor in the side.

This one is using the WJ pumps that are larger, and it still cleared.

I also mounted the vacuum thingy back over closer to the front than where it was, in between the air box, and the new bottle. Its not staying wrapped up by the master cyl resi as shown in the pics.

On the pic below, you have to make sure the bottle is lower than the hood strut. the foam piece makes a nice guide

I had to heat up the plastic a little to make room for the brake lines as shown here.

The black stuff is Toyota sealant, so maybe that will keep the cracks from leaking.. but they are spidered pretty much all over this thing now, so its only a matter of time..
    Last edited by LSRGreg; 01-23-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    04 WJ, Limited, 4.7 HO, 242 Swap, 6" Clayton Longarm'd, 35" BFG KM2's, 17" WER Beadlocks OMF rings, Kevin's Sliderz, Kevins HD Tie Rod, TNT Customs Hi-Steer, Fox Bypasses, 4.56 Gears,

14. #14 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Any other WJ owners getting an occasional engine code 441 (EVAP control system purge flow fault) after tearing out the stock airbox and installing the K&N filter?

Could be we damaged or crimped something in the EVAP system while installing the ZJ washer bottle, but I've looked it over several times and I don't think so.

15. #15 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    I know this is a thread resuraction but, the last set of pics is a ZJ bottle as well?

16. #16 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    YES

17. #17 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Good write up and pics,

also I would want to make the modification to WJ 4.7 1999 therefore I would want to know: the washer bottle of the ZJ it has 3 holes? you have used pumps and sensor of the WJ?
    the hole of the sensor is up?
    no problems ?

18. #18 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    GSSW Planner
    I used the pumps and sensor that came with the ZJ bottle- just cut and spliced into the existing WJ wiring, took maybe 5 minutes.
    2004 WJ 60\14b ARB\lockrite 37" Nitto mud grapplers

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideTireZJ View Post
    If there's one thing I like more than Moab and Grand Cherokees, it's a little boy on boy action.

Even easier solution is to use the existing WJ pumps and sensor. They're already in place and transfer right onto the ZJ bottle
    '99 WJ 4.0, 44/8.8, 35's, body damage

20. #20 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Thank you,
    but since the room is little, it is better to use the pumps of the ZJ or those of the WJ?

Giacomo

21. #21 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    I got a ZJ reservoir without any of the ZJ pumps or level sensor. The WJ parts plugged right in, even the level sensor.

22. #22 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoulderCO View Post
    I got a ZJ reservoir without any of the ZJ pumps or level sensor. The WJ parts plugged right in, even the level sensor.
    Thank you John,

ZJ reservoir of which year and engine model ?

Giacomo

I know there's a small difference in the bottles from different years...just not sure what that difference is. Probably just a little change in shape or the lid or something. WJ pumps and sensor should transfer of regardless though. I think mine was out of a '95 or '96.

24. #24 Re: ZJ Washer Fluid Reservoir in place of a WJ's 
    Those of you with aftermarket bumpers, did you have to remove and replace the washer fluid bottles? I still have my front bumper on, but looking at buying an iceland off road bumper this fall and want to get everything ready to do at once.
    Proud member of PETA=People for Eating Tasty Animals
    99 WJ limited, 4 inch RCX lift, hitch mounted swing away tire carrier, JK moab rims
    08 Nissan Pathfinder

I didn't have to with my arb. But I removed the factory bottle afterwards just to have more room in the wheel well. Not sure about the Iceland bumper though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information