Thread: Stick welder w/ unibody??

1. #1 Stick welder w/ unibody?? 
    Hey guys, I'm a newbie to welding and I'll I've got is a stick welder. I've done some minor things with it, but with the unibody, the only thing I'm good at is blowing holes. I've tried 7018 and 6011, both in 3/32"s, I have better luck with the 6011, only because I seem to be able to start and arch better with it (remember, I suck at welding). I have the welder set just to where I can strike a arch (just under 100), and I move fast, but it just blows right through. Any tips, suggestions, etc.... I need all the help I can get!!

I also have a oxy/act torch with welding tips. Would I be better off teaching myself how to melt some coathangers??
    1998 ZJ wife's DD

1990 XJ, budget built, Build total ~ $3,000

2. #2 Re: Stick welder w/ unibody?? 
    hmmm... probably going to have to go MIG on this one. Just the wrong application for stick.

3. #3 Re: Stick welder w/ unibody?? 
    I would love to, but don't have the coin for a mig, so I have to make do with what I got. Any suggestions with the tools I have would be appreciated.
    1998 ZJ wife's DD

4. #4 Re: Stick welder w/ unibody?? 
    You're going to be able to control the heat better with the oxy setup.
    83 Scrambler, d60, 14bolt, ZJ 318. Yeah Yeah, it's a pile of parts, but someday...

68 Commando on 32's for wheeling

5. #5 Re: Stick welder w/ unibody?? 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    Where are you starting your puddle? Sounds like you're starting right in between the two pieces of metal you're trying to join together. Strike your arc on the thicker stuff and carry the puddle to the sheet metal. You can control how much heat you're putting into the thinner stuff by carrying the arc higher on the thicker material. You have to be careful that you're getting good penetration. Make sense?

It's hard for me to describe, and it can be hard to learn if you're laying on your back trying to weld. If you can, practice with some scrap pieces on a flat surface until you get the hang of it.

My father is an incredible stick welder. Even with a nice MIG in his shop, 99% of the time he's using his old buzzbox.

6. #6 Re: Stick welder w/ unibody?? 
    Yeah, I understand welding thicker to thinner that you stay on thick as much as possible, etc... (like in the unibody welding bible by Kraqa). But I'm welding sheet metal to sheet metal. Eventually, I'd like to do some half doors. But currently just little brackets and such.
    1998 ZJ wife's DD

7. #7 Re: Stick welder w/ unibody?? 
    Did some more research today. Miller's site is really helpful. Anyway, looks like I was high on the amperage, with 3/32" 7018, I should be between 65-100 amps. With the 6011, I should have only been at 40-85, plus 6011 is deep penetrating, which is NOT what you want for sheetmetal. And finally, it looks like 6013 was designed for sheet metal (40-90 amps), I'm going to pick some of that up and give it a try.

I was between 85-100 amps with both 6011 and 7018, so I was high. But I couldn't seem to strike an arc very well below 95. That's what I need the most practice/help with. I can't believe I have so much fricken trouble striking a damn arch!!!
    1998 ZJ wife's DD

8. #8 Re: Stick welder w/ unibody?? 
    I welded my 1/4" subframe to my ZJ w/ an AC stick welder and 1/8" 7014 rod. It was a bit tricky, but it actually came out pretty well. One thing that might help you is counting to yourself as you zig-zag w/ the stick...count "one, two" w/ the heat on the thick stuff, and then count "three" on the thin stuff...so you're basically just keeping the heat on the thick stuff twice as long as on the thin.

Also, if you're trying to start a brand new rod, they're a lot harder to start than a rod that's already been burned a bit. If I'm welding something on the workbench in a vice, I just scratch the new rod on the back side of the vice so it has less tendency to stick to the piece that i'm going to weld. If the coating on the electrode has chipped off and you've got the core of the electrode sticking out further than the coating, it's going to be VERY hard to strike the arc without real high amperage.
    1993 Trashcan, 7/8 Ton, 37's

Some people play golf, others enjoy football...I just really like fucking with people.

Vote REPUBLICAN.......because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE!!!

Thread Information