Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Raised fuel tank on WJ

Thread: Raised fuel tank on WJ

1. #1 Raised fuel tank on WJ 

I unhooked all the fuel lines first and lowered it down on some jackstands. It was so full of mud so that made it feel a bit heavier.

Then I just cut the a big hole.

I just eyed up the skidplate and cut off the top part where it mounts first, leaving enough meat on it to weld with. Then I cut about an inch below where the tank would normally sit.

Then I cleaned up the pieces and bolted them back up to eliminate some measuring.

I put the tank inside the skid and held it up with jackstands as hi as I thought I could get it, without it sticking out too far into the backseat.

I drilled a 2.5" hole into the side, but It is a little small, but I'll fix the kinked fill hose when I get some sheet metal and cover the tank.
    I put a level in the skid to get it straight, since my cutting was anything but.

After I tacked the skid to the bolted pieces, I unbolted the skid, and welded it together.

Some pretty good clearance now.

Last edited by death-mobile; 09-27-2006 at 03:01 AM.
    Balltastic.

2. #2 Re: Raised fuel tank on WJ 
    Pretty sweet job! I have been thinking about doing this, and doing away fith the fuel door and using a TJ type filler.

How are you going to finish the inside? I thought of making a sheet metal cover with some sort of access panel to get to the top of the tank (for pump replacement). Does the removal of the spare indent weaken the rear unitbody at all? And how sturdy is the rear floor now with the whole removed?

Nice job.
    John

-'01 WJ - V8 Limited, Clayton LA Fr, RK SA Rear, 4" Springs, Trimmed fenders to fit: 35" Tires (Street), 34" Swampers (Trail), Kolak Headlight Harness, Kolak 3" Exhaust, ARB Fr Bumper, C4x4 Rear Bumper

-'93 ZJ - V8 Limited, Family Truckster

- Gone but not forgotten: '72 Scout II, '78 Blaser, '87 YJ, '88 YJ, '90 YJ, '90 XJ,'00 WJ, '01 Ram 5.9L

3. #3 Re: Raised fuel tank on WJ 
    It doesn't seem any bit weaker. The spare holder was so flimsy when it came out, I can't imagine it did much in terms of strentch. I'm going to weld some sheet metal, and probably will make a trap door to get to the tank, and also, I moved the fuel filter closer to the top of the tank so I can get to that through the trap door as well. What is the difference with a TJ filler tube?
    Balltastic.

4. #4 Re: Raised fuel tank on WJ 
    I've seen it done once where the fuel door was replaced with a TJ style inset cap. Looks cool and gets rid of the door.
    John

-'01 WJ - V8 Limited, Clayton LA Fr, RK SA Rear, 4" Springs, Trimmed fenders to fit: 35" Tires (Street), 34" Swampers (Trail), Kolak Headlight Harness, Kolak 3" Exhaust, ARB Fr Bumper, C4x4 Rear Bumper

-'93 ZJ - V8 Limited, Family Truckster

- Gone but not forgotten: '72 Scout II, '78 Blaser, '87 YJ, '88 YJ, '90 YJ, '90 XJ,'00 WJ, '01 Ram 5.9L

5. #5 Re: Raised fuel tank on WJ 
    haha maybe i'll bondo the door now and run the hose into the trunk, so you have to pop the rear hatch to fill it up!
    Balltastic.

6. #6 Re: Raised fuel tank on WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by death-mobile
    haha maybe i'll bondo the door now and run the hose into the trunk, so you have to pop the rear hatch to fill it up!
    Spills and smell...i personally dont mind the smell of gas buy some people like flip out.
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

7. #7 Re: Raised fuel tank on WJ 
    Nice work!

Grand Valley State University

8. #8 Re: Raised fuel tank on WJ 
    nice

Thread Information