Thread: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    I`m only asking this because I`m pretty damn sure my 42RE is on it`s last legs, hanging by a thread, aboot to kick the bucket, etc.
    226k km on it, as far as I know only 1 trans service done by me (that only made problems worse) and it slips, grinds and moans more the a veitinism hooker. Not to metion it also does not shift out of 1st gear while I`m in 4lo, a pain in the ass when I need to keep up with a pack cause I can`t get any speed up.

So how many people have actually had their 42RE totally shit the bed on them? I`m talking either giving up the ghost and simply not working or going KA-BOOM. Am I pushing it by wheeling as often as I can this month (some easy stuff and some `hardcore` with a lil rock crawling mixed in)?

I`ve got an AX15 going in but I have to wait till the beginning of October to swap it in. Is it pushing my luck to put off the trans swap?
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

2. #2 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter TrojanMan's Avatar
    Mine isn't 100% gone yet but i'd say it's 98%. Sometimes it won't shift out of first, sometimes it'll shift out of first but won't get out of second. It shudders enough to rattle every tool I keep in the back, slips enough that every time it slips I think that was the last straw. I'm putting my AW4 swap off until I can locate the freakin plug that goes into the TCM haha. I'm right there with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    This thread proves that wheeling is better than the internet.
    Weavsworld: i dont know shit about MC, i just make it work

3. #3 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    my 42re completly shit it self. At first it just stop going you would push the gas the engine would bog down and it wouldn't move. We change the fluid then i ran it about a mile down the road and the tranny locked up the tires.

Mine f'ed up cause the radiator cooler cloged on mine the first time the secont time the tranny just gave up on me.

I swapped mine with a aw-4 and have been pleased so far.

4. #4 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Hmmm...so I guess I should semi take it easy.
    I've got my AX15 here along with all the other parts I need. I'm just putting it off.

I should also say that in the winter, it won't shift into 4th until the trans warms up and then it makes a god aweful grinding noise. Plus sometimes it wil slip out of 1st when I stop at a light. I'll give it gas and nothing, after a few seconds....CLUNK....and off I go.
    Anthony

5. #5 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    I would go and get a trans cooler from the auto parts store and by pass the radiator. Make sure you use the mopar plus 4 in the trans it dont like other fluids.

And for the cold shift the computer is set to not let the trans shift to overdrive till the trans is wormed up.

If the trans over heats the overdrive light will come on and stay on till it cools down.

6. #6 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Not sure if you can call this completely crapping out, but going down the road mine wouldn't shift out of 1st. So I pulled over and tried to put it in park. Park wasn't there. . . it was reverse. Pulled it back down and only had second. Acted like it was in neutral when in 1st and Drive.

Figured it was just the linkage so I drove it home, put it in neutral, pulled the brake, and started inspecting. Everything seemed ok underneath. Pulled the console and and checked the cable. Seemed ok. Tried to start it and only had reverse. No forward gears.

That was at 87,000 miles. Had the 100,000 mile warranty so I called the dealer. They did not want to do the tranny but did.

Well I guess you can say it crapped out completely.
    '99 WJ

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    If you tell me I'm the wind beneath your wings I'm gonna hit you in the sack with my sledge hammer!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    You find me a girl that can be trusted, and I'll show you a talking unicorn that shits peppered bacon on demand.

7. #7 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Quote Originally Posted by MUDDTRACKS
    Mine f'ed up cause the radiator cooler cloged on mine
    my first one died this way since it overheated. I now have a inline filter before the coolers and replaced the stock cooler with a large B&M cooler.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

8. #8 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Quote Originally Posted by MUDDTRACKS
    I would go and get a trans cooler from the auto parts store and by pass the radiator. Make sure you use the mopar plus 4 in the trans it dont like other fluids.

And for the cold shift the computer is set to not let the trans shift to overdrive till the trans is wormed up.

If the trans over heats the overdrive light will come on and stay on till it cools down.
    I'm not gonna drop any money into the thing if I'm going to be swapping in my 5spd in a month, it's a waste of money.
    Anthony

9. #9 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Mine died similarly at about 86k. I'm pretty sure it was the original tranny and had never been rebuilt but there's not way to tell. It had been having problems shifting up and down the range. I went on one little wheeling fling for about 30 minutes last winter and it made it out of the trail. I had no idea it was bout to fail. I drove it down the road and it couldn't down shift.. I'd have to let off the gas and manually downshift. I stopped somewhere and let it idle for a few minutes in park for a totally unrelated reason. Then when I put it in reverse to back out of the parking space it wouldn't move. Actually it kinda rolled forewards. I gave it some gas and it barked the tires when it finally engaged. Then when I put it in drive it again did nothing. Even when I gave it gas it did nothing. I was boned. I put it back in park for a minute and then tried again and it took off as usual but when it tried to shift from 1 to 2 it would basically fall into a neutral like state. I was able to limp it over to the car wash to spray it off while I called Rob to see when he could fit it into his schedule to fix the POS. Eventually it wouldn't grab at all and I had to be drug home by a friend using chains and my KOR radiator support which bent the tabs on it?

10. #10 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeMud
    I'm not gonna drop any money into the thing if I'm going to be swapping in my 5spd in a month, it's a waste of money.
    Thats cool man just trying to help out.

11. #11 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    No worries, I welcome any suggestions to make this thing last lol
    Anthony

12. #12 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter TrojanMan's Avatar
    I just grenaded mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    This thread proves that wheeling is better than the internet.
    Weavsworld: i dont know shit about MC, i just make it work

13. #13 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Shitty. Mine's still kicking for now though I thought it was gonna shit out on me last night.
    Anthony

14. #14 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan
    I just grenaded mine.
    So how did it shit the bed? Just crap itself while you where driving along?
    Anthony

15. #15 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Mine ate some mud and went downhill from there. Eventually it got to the point where I was on the trail and gunning it to 4,000 RPM got me 1 m.p.h. Needless to say I got towed off the trail and a trailer ride home. That sucked.

16. #16 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    mine went beep-boop-booop........splaaaaaaa.

then it shit the bed. about 3 hours into the bush. my quick easy fix was a SBC350 and SM465.

4 months later.......i'l never look back!

the 42RE i had had almost 300k km on it and only 3 services. i noticed it slipping and kickign otu of gear about 3 months before it went blammy.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

17. #17 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    About 90% of the time mine doesn't wanna use 1st gear or overdrive. It sucks to drive it cause its so slow to get it goin. Whenever it does fireup from correctly, it works fine. I've been paying this dude at Cottman/Aamco Transmissions to fix it. I've taken it to him about 5 times over the summer. He changed the governor pressure selenoid and sensor the first time, 2nd time he "adjusted wires", 3rd time he cleaneda a connector, 4th time he replaced the cleaned connector, and 5th time he inspected wires..........cough cough, bull shit. I'm so sick of this dude but I've been using the warranty he offers on all his repairs. If anyone has any ideas toss em' up for me.

18. #18 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Mine started thunking and slipping when it went into 2nd. Then is started knocking and clinking like a bitch when id give her corn from a stop. It would go nowhere/barely creep foreward when that nosie was hear. If i was doing liek 50 adn i matted it, it would jsut bounce off the rev. If i was going a few miles per hour in 1st and i matted it it would bounce off the rav... finally, no matter wut if it was warmed up it jud didn't move... jsut clunked and like, wouldn't go into gear at all really. 30 mins of playing with it got it in a condition enough to drive 3 miles to my garage, get it on a lift, adn that that stupid $&%#@!$ auto outta it . (and put in the AX-15) but yeah. Keep in mind, this tranny was rebuilt at 98k. And 30k later is when it started acting up on me, even tho i kept an eye on her and gave ehr a good cleansing right after i bought it. when they wanna go they jsut go :-/. Gotto love jeeps.
    96 ZJ... Little bit of Jeep/Dodge/AMC/Chevy/Ford... oh, and Cummins

TOW RIG: 99 Black EC/LB Cummins. GV Overdrive Unit-AD150-Adrenaline/CTD150s-62/14/65-Valair 550hp SD-4''TB Duals/315's

19. #19 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    My girls 95 (the one i converted) just quit going forward at all one day while she was driving

Made it home the 4 miles in reverse though - LOL

20. #20 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    mine is on its way out. doesnt like 1st or 4th. fluid was nice and red last week, when i checked it today its all orangeish. like there's some metal in there. gonna figure out my options soon, before I cant go anywhere.

21. #21 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    can somebody PM me or post a wiring diagram for the entire tranny out of an FSM or somthin. A 1995 would be optimal. Thanks

22. #22 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Mine's getting worse.
    Hope it holds for a few more weeks so I can find a beater.
    Anthony

23. #23 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    My tranny has been crappy since new. Balky shifts, hunting for gears in the 30-50mph range; and a lag when you go from reverse to forward. So knowing it was a POS since new, I've had it serviced religiously. I think I've had the pan off at least 5 or 6 times. It now has 150k mi on it, and behaves just like the piece of crap it was when new. 100k or so of my wife's vicious abuse couldnt' kill it, but she tried hard. (I can't really complain...one of the things that attracted me to my wife very early on was that she drives like a guy!). I try to be very gentle to my tranny these days.

My previous Jeep was an XJ with a 5 speed, and while that was decent transmission, (I gather that's the AX15???), it was nothing to write home about. I heard it was made by Peugeot, and given how crappy french cars are, it always made me doubt it, but it never let me down. Can the AX15 support the torque of a V8 with some mild tweaks in power?
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

24. #24 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    AX-15 is made by Aisan not Peugeot.
    Anthony

25. #25 Re: Ever Have A 42RE Totally Crap Out? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeMud
    AX-15 is made by Aisan not Peugeot.
    I realize now the error in my post; although I'm no longer sure what tranny I had in my XJ. The Peugeot was the BA-10, and was phased out in '88-89. Since my XJ was an 89, not sure if it had the AX-15 or the BA-10. Either way, I never had problems with it; but I got rid of the XJ with less than 50k mi., (I got broadsided very hard, had the vehicle fixed, and returned it at the end of the lease. The dealer could tell it was in a huge wreck, but could not fault the repairs, so I had no sweat returning the car.)
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information