Thread: u joint conversion on WJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Dutchmans is $275 for a set of 4340 (import) inner shafts. I called them back this morning and they've got the measurement at 1.188". I had found online that the axle shaft diameter was 1.17", so it sounds like a good, tight fit.

Dutchman's price list can be found here: http://www.dutchmanms.com/pricesheet.html#Anchor-65139

Right now I'm trying to decide if there's any benefit to going to Alloy USA's X-joint over the regular Spicer 760.
    Last edited by rradford9; 03-27-2008 at 12:21 PM.
    2000 WJ - Stroked, Locked & Long Armed
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

2. #27 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 5.9 ANDY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMTimZJ View Post
    The outer stubs are the same on XJ,YJ,ZJ,TJ (assuming same u-joint size) so grab any 297/760 sized stubs you can find. (order new or go to a junk yard or search a 4x4 board's "sale" section) Then order the Dutchman inner shafts. Get some u-joints.

Who cares how old the post is, at least he searched.

-Tim
    why are my XJ hubs i got shorter than my ZJ ones? will this cause issues when i go to get replacement shafts?

sorry, i dont mean to hijack.
    proud Lance Corporal in the Unted States Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post

This website is bad for the health of your vehicles, enjoy your stay

3. #28 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Vacuum disconnect XJ hubs are different - found that out when an MJ blew up a u-joint and threw on a non-disconnect hub and caused it to rub like crazy.
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

4. #29 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
    Vacuum disconnect XJ hubs are different - found that out when an MJ blew up a u-joint and threw on a non-disconnect hub and caused it to rub like crazy.
    can non vac disco axle shafts work in a vac disco hub?

5. #30 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    No idea.
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

6. #31 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
    No idea.
    guess ill find out.

7. #32 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    I know this is a few months old, but for those who are interested in this the price has gone up. The import Chromo's are not $295 before shipping.

Also Gary no longer works there.

Saying that, I just got mine in the mail. Nice an Beefy.
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

The Hookup Build http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12701

8. #33 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Realize this is several months old, but:

Did you get the import 4340 alloy Dutchman's shafts....? Are they inners only? What did you use for outers? What u-joints?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what'd they cost if the price isn't $295 anymore....?

Thanks!

9. #34 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Spanky, I used the import shafts. IIRC, the domestic ones were about a $100 more. Yep, alloy inners only, stock TJ or XJ outers. Get some outers that can accept the larger 297/760 u-joint. I had Dutchmans include 2 u-joints and full circle clips in with my order. Mine were $295, plus about $60 for shipping, but that was over a year ago.
    2000 WJ - Stroked, Locked & Long Armed
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

10. #35 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Yes. What he said...
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

The Hookup Build http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12701

11. #36 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Sorry to bring this back again, but noticed a few of the XJ specific questions unanswered.

For the 297 ujoint XJ outter stub shafts your looking for ANY ABS equipped XJ OR 95+ to get the 297 joints. The rest are smaller weaker 260 joints.

5.9Andy.. the XJ hubs have different offsets dependant on the brake setup. 84-89 used a 2 piece outter knuckle and smaller bore caliper. 90+ used a 1 piece knuckle and larger caliper. The offset changed again later.. 99 or so? The components cannot be interchanged.. rotors, hubs, calipers, knuckle etc need to match.
    Last edited by OverlandXJ; 01-03-2009 at 06:34 PM.

12. #37 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Has anybody actually run these, and with what results?

They do come with lifetime guarantee except for incorrect install or a wrecked vehicle. $800 is high but maybe starts to make sense if you can just carry the cv joint shafts (already on the vehicle) as backup, with some reasonable expectation you'll never need them anyway.

13. #38 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlandXJ View Post
    Sorry to bring this back again, but noticed a few of the XJ specific questions unanswered.

For the 297 ujoint XJ outter stub shafts your looking for ANY ABS equipped XJ OR 95+ to get the 297 joints. The rest are smaller weaker 260 joints.

5.9Andy.. the XJ hubs have different offsets dependant on the brake setup. 84-89 used a 2 piece outter knuckle and smaller bore caliper. 90+ used a 1 piece knuckle and larger caliper. The offset changed again later.. 99 or so? The components cannot be interchanged.. rotors, hubs, calipers, knuckle etc need to match.
    Here's to reviving the dead... Posts that is!
    I just got off the phone with Dutchmans, Imports are now 330 before S&H domestics are 400

On the outters, I'm confused by the differant opinions I have seen, some say all Dana 30 outters are the same I just have to find ABS equipped ones, but in this post you said just the XJ has had many varients. So If I am running ABS rings, which ones do I need??
    02' v8 DubJ 4.5" LA lift with 33s and a bunch of other good stuff... but it's never enough.

14. #39 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    While the dimensions of the outters are the same with Dana 30s, the tone ring placement and tooth count is not. Therefore if you need ABS you will need modified outters with the correct tooth count and the tone ring is a bit farther back.

Iron Rock Off Road sells a complete Ujoint conversion with hardened shafts and outters in both a 27 and 30 spline inner, both have same 27spline outer. This means you can use existing WJ unit bearing. Both have 297 u joints.

I purchased just the outters to work with factory unit bearings and used my existing custom built 30 spline outters. That was plan A, then I decided to go buy the inner shafts to keep my existing shafts as complete trail spares. So I put them together after getting both ends and bought new unit bearings. According to IRO they have not had any outer failures with either size inner shaft.

So I recommend the 30 spline kit from IRO which is just under a grand complete and you will need to convert your carrier to 30 spline, or in my case go with a 30 spline ARB. The 27 spline kit is a viable option, but after spending a grand on shafts I would prefer they be bigger than stock and not just a ujoint conversion.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information