Thread: New Engine and Transmission adventure

1. #1 New Engine and Transmission adventure 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    So earlier this year I noticed my little tick sound was getting louder, so put in new lifters and Corey says, you sure you dont want to just rebuild the whole engine. I said no and the tick was better but not completely gone.

Then in September the tick becomes a knock, so I decide to go with a crate engine from a local shop. Bored, HD Pistons, custom cam, Tupy head etc. Barely get the Jeep to Corey's house to do the swap. #6 Piston came apart and when using an inspection cam in the spark plug whole, all I see is the wrist pin attached to the rod. This kept the rod from going through the block and ruining my core return. Whew.

Ken, Corey and I pull the engine and discover a leak in the front pump housing of the transmission. I get the same question, sure you dont want to rebuild the transmission. I learned my lesson from the engine conversation and decided to rebuild transmission while its all apart. Waiting on that now.

Considering I rebuilt my Currie HP9 and my HP 30 3 yrs ago when I re-geared and resealed my tcase then too. I will pretty much have a new Jeep when I get it all back together again.

Expensive year but will hopefully be worth it.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

2. #2 Re: New Engine and Transmission adventure 
    Sure is nice using a lift to do all this though!
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

3. #3 Re: New Engine and Transmission adventure 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    You'll definitely appreciate all the work when you're out on the trail!

4. #4 Re: New Engine and Transmission adventure 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    OK, finally done, new engine and transmission in and runs/drives great. Started this on December 26th and finished on January 26th.

Just have one issue. Jeep claims its -40f outside. Somehow the connector for the outside temp sensor is not connected or something. Will sort that out tomorrow. Should be pretty easy, just pull grill to get to it.

Thank you to Corey and Ken - well Christi too as it sat in their garage for a month.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

5. #5 Re: New Engine and Transmission adventure 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    NICE!!

Still cheaper than buying a new Jeep!
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

Thread Information