Thread: u joint conversion on WJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 u joint conversion on WJ 
    what's everybody using for a u joint axle shaft conversion on their WJ's ? I just got out of the woods after a long day of towing my WJ out of the woods due to a broken tie rod which led to a broken cv shaft. so is there a u joint style axle shaft that'll fit right in or do i have to custom make them ?
    Last edited by got2bwj; 08-27-2006 at 05:25 PM.

2. #2 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Earlier this week, I was talking about this with Tate at Randy's. There are part numbers for ujoint WJ front shafts. However the ones with tone rings are currently backordered with no eta from manufacturing. He was certain they will be availabile again, but has no idea as to when.

The prices are high, and I don't know if this vendor is to be trusted but I also found this via our good friend google:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/grand_c...eModel30WJ.htm

Also you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6507

Also, the thread I referenced talks about $90 CV shafts from Checker. I need to get some non QD shafts soon, so I looked up the equivelent NAPA part numbers

NMD948034/NMD948034
    Last edited by MarkCO; 08-27-2006 at 09:11 PM.
    2004 WJ Overland | JK Dana 44's | Clayton 6" Lift | Bilstein 5125's Shocks | 33x12.5x15 MTR/s

3. #3 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    yeah those shafts aren't cheap!

but thanks alot for the info.

4. #4 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    I used XJ stubs and had dutchman motorsports make me innershafts. The innershafts cost me $250 I think. they are chromo and use 297 joints. The xj toner ring has a bigger inner diameter so pull your toner of your broken cv and machine it out to fit the xj stub. I'll hunt around for the inner axle measurments and post them.

5. #5 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    These are the lenghts of the shafts I use for my WJ using XJ stubs. Long side=33 7/8 Short side 18 1/8. Dutchmans # is (503)257-6604 ask for Gary, he's was real helpful with me. I paid $275 for a set of inner shafts.

Also just thought I'd mention i got a set of Hub assembles off a grand in the junk yard and put them on my sprare shafts for quiker trail repair. (2wd and 4wd are the same.)

Here's a pic of my long side spare next to a factory style cv
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by H3RESQ; 09-03-2006 at 04:34 AM.

6. #6 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    thanks man. where is dutchmans located ? I don't imagine it would be cheap to ship those shafts to Nova Scotia.

I don't see a tone ring on the u joint shaft, is your ABS light on ?

7. #7 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by got2bwj
    thanks man. where is dutchmans located ? I don't imagine it would be cheap to ship those shafts to Nova Scotia.

I don't see a tone ring on the u joint shaft, is your ABS light on ?
    There in Portland, Oregon. Didn't bother to put Toner ring on spare's. Also I'm only running 1 toner ring so that I have a Speedo. Don't use ABS. Pull the bulb.

8. #8 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by H3RESQ View Post
    These are the lenghts of the shafts I use for my WJ using XJ stubs. Long side=33 7/8 Short side 18 1/8. Dutchmans # is (503)257-6604 ask for Gary, he's was real helpful with me. I paid $275 for a set of inner shafts.

Also just thought I'd mention i got a set of Hub assembles off a grand in the junk yard and put them on my sprare shafts for quiker trail repair. (2wd and 4wd are the same.)

Here's a pic of my long side spare next to a factory style cv
    Hi you are saying the outer axle right and left is off an XJ (any particular model) and what is the inner from or suit, and where can you get them from.

9. #9 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    One year old!!!
    WJ-OME-JKS-KEVINS-32' BFGS-SOLD
    WK-DayStar-Spidertrax-BFGS-whoohoo

Search, helping dumbasses everywhere.

10. #10 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgc View Post
    Hi you are saying the outer axle right and left is off an XJ (any particular model) and what is the inner from or suit, and where can you get them from.
    The outer stubs are the same on XJ,YJ,ZJ,TJ (assuming same u-joint size) so grab any 297/760 sized stubs you can find. (order new or go to a junk yard or search a 4x4 board's "sale" section) Then order the Dutchman inner shafts. Get some u-joints.

Who cares how old the post is, at least he searched.

-Tim

11. #11 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Funny how things slip past you.

The Jeep ujoint shafts for WJ are no longer maid at all. They were an export model part.

However great post from H3resq. I was just talking about doing the XJ shafts and using older Chevy full size D44 shafts and cutting them down and reduced at the ends to fit the D30 ARB. But 275 a set for inners is not that bad. Thanks for the info.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

12. #12 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by EMTimZJ View Post
    The outer stubs are the same on XJ,YJ,ZJ,TJ (assuming same u-joint size) so grab any 297/760 sized stubs you can find. (order new or go to a junk yard or search a 4x4 board's "sale" section) Then order the Dutchman inner shafts. Get some u-joints.

Who cares how old the post is, at least he searched.

-Tim

Thanx for replying by the way Im in australia and keen in ditching these crappy cv and putting u-joint in place of them.

So the outers is easy for me now but what did you do regarding the abs tone ring.

With the inners I looked on dutchmans website couldnt find the D30 inner is it the same length as the other models(TJ,XJ,YJ,ZJ), if it is does that mean you could just buy the complete set up to suit the other model and instal in the WJ.

When you did the U-joint axles it all went in ok just like installing the crappy CV which Ive done a hundred times or extra mods need to be done.

Anyone have pics of it installed in a WJ.

13. #13 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    The WJ axles are 63.5 inches wide WMS-WMS which is wider than the others at around 58 inches WMS to WMS. This means the WJ shafts are wider too.

You will need to have the inner shafts made to length. I am sure in Australia there are shops that could make you the inner shafts. I would get the XJ outers and bring a set of your old shafts along for them to measure. The XJ outers will work with the tone ring except for the to WJ tone ring is a bit smaller on its inside diameter. This can be fixed at a machine shop that can mill them to size. You basically have the rings pulled off your old shafts and mill to fit new outers.

H3RESQ posted a source for the inner shafts here the US. You might see what they will charge to ship them to you.

I am researching the idea of using chevy truck D44 shafts and having the cut and re-splined to fit. They will likely need to be re-hardend after the milling.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

14. #14 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Thanx for that so whatyour saying is buy the XJ without tone ring outer axle and take to a fabricator along with a CV so he can work how long the inner axle needs to and use the old tone ring and fit to the xj outer.

Has anyone done this in the states.

15. #15 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgc View Post
    Thanx for that so whatyour saying is buy the XJ without tone ring outer axle and take to a fabricator along with a CV so he can work how long the inner axle needs to and use the old tone ring and fit to the xj outer.

Has anyone done this in the states.
    Long side=33 7/8 Short side 18 1/8. Dutchmans # is (503)257-6604 ask for Gary,
    I had them use F-150 Dana 44 shafts. machined them down to D30 27spline diameter, cut them to lenght, then re-splined.
    Here's the lengths you'll need for WJ using a XJ stub shaft. You can just get used XJ stubs and pop the toners off, then have the WJ toners machined to the larger diameter they need to be to slide onto the XJ stubs.

16. #16 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by H3RESQ View Post
    Long side=33 7/8 Short side 18 1/8. Dutchmans # is (503)257-6604 ask for Gary,
    I had them use F-150 Dana 44 shafts. machined them down to D30 27spline diameter, cut them to lenght, then re-splined.
    Here's the lengths you'll need for WJ using a XJ stub shaft. You can just get used XJ stubs and pop the toners off, then have the WJ toners machined to the larger diameter they need to be to slide onto the XJ stubs.
    Thanx for that, I think I might try my idea first and see if the cost is cheaper than dutchmans then fabricating.

Im going to buy a used set of XJ axles, take out the u-joint and take the inner shaft to fabricator and tell him to make one exactly the same but longer to the length I need to suit the WJ and then cut and attch the tone ring to the outer axle hope fully it wont cost too much.

If iI get to the stage what u-joints do you recommend.

17. #17 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 

18. #18 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    That's cool but seems like even more than I spent. I think I had about $450 into mine after finding some used chromo stubs and having the inners made for about $300

19. #19 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner Pitch's Avatar
    Wow! Great that a product like this has been brought to market, but that is a lot of spare shafts to make up that kind of price. I may bite if it where cheaper, but $800 is a big step towards a complete axle swap.
    Toyota FJ80, lifted, locked, slow
    Sold: 01 WJ, 93 YJ, 86 CJ7

20. #20 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    I looked into this a while back and decided it wasn't worth that much money to me. I just bought new axles for $49.95 each side so I'll be happy with them even if they break once a year. At least they will always be fresh.

21. #21 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Where did you get the axles from, I have not seen any for $49.00.

22. #22 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by ahanna View Post
    Where did you get the axles from, I have not seen any for $49.00.
    Ebay. It was Less that $120 shipped for both.

23. #23 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    So H3RESQ used XJ outers...does it matter if the outers come from an XJ with ABS or not? The junkyards around here suck, but XJ shafts w/o ABS are about half the price of ones that came with ABS.
    2000 WJ - Stroked, Locked & Long Armed
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

24. #24 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    I know this is a pretty old thread, but I'm ordering some u-joint shafts from Dutchmans and got a call from them today. They were asking for the diameter of the WJ D30 axle shaft were it contacts the seals. The only thing I could find online was the wjjeeps page that said the d30 shafts are 1.17". Unfortunately I don't have a caliper to measure the old axle shaft diameter.
    2000 WJ - Stroked, Locked & Long Armed
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

25. #25 Re: u joint conversion on WJ 
    How much are the Dutchman shafts going to cost for a pair. I would be willing to send them a full set of non QD shafts to assist in measuring if the price is right. I have the shafts available now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information