Thread: Diesel pissing contest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: Diesel pissing contest 
    Quote Originally Posted by dasVettemeister
    Where is Dr. Boost? He needs to check in on this subject.
    I think his fuel economy estimates that he's bragged about are a bit skewed. When I took that truck to Moab I hardly got better than 10-11 mpg...which really sucked in that thing cause it only has a 20-something gallon tank so we literally had to fill up every couple hundred miles (to others reading this is a 7.3 Ford w/ a 5" straight pipe and a 100 hp boost from a programmer). If I had my choice between my truck and his truck to use for another trip like that, I'd honestly take mine with the V-10 over his diesel....not because of the motor though, but because my longbed is WAAAY more stable for towing than his shortbed.
    1993 Trashcan, 7/8 Ton, 37's

Some people play golf, others enjoy football...I just really like fucking with people.

Vote REPUBLICAN.......because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE!!!

2. #27 Re: Diesel pissing contest 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Right-on... I was thinking a MAX of 6" and 37's, with some new gears. Numerically it seems like a lot, but these trucks are just SO much bigger than the jeep... just kinda funny I guess, I dunno.

I probably won't be getting anything for a month or two, but I wanted to have my info straight for when the time comes. Thanks for all the input guys, it helped a lot.
    If you decide to look into the duramax more, check out www.dieselplace.com, lots of good information on there.
    94 ZJ, 6" lift, 231, locked F&R. 8.8, 36" TSLs.*SOLD

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.6L LLY Duramax/Allison, Edge Juice/attitude, 4" straight pipe(lost the muffler & kitty), debadged, limo tint, V1, shimmed PRV, AFE intake, HID's, 285 REVOS.

3. #28 Re: Diesel pissing contest 
    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    You need 6" of lift on a Duramax to fit 35s? I fit 35s on my truck with a leveling kit (2" lift in the front)
    no, not really.......with a 6" lift you can fit 37's. He just did 35's so he could still fit in his garage, fit in the automatic carwash, etc..... lol
    94 ZJ, 6" lift, 231, locked F&R. 8.8, 36" TSLs.*SOLD

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.6L LLY Duramax/Allison, Edge Juice/attitude, 4" straight pipe(lost the muffler & kitty), debadged, limo tint, V1, shimmed PRV, AFE intake, HID's, 285 REVOS.

4. #29 Re: Diesel pissing contest 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    The newer Dodge trannys are much better than the old ones untill you start to add more HP. I've had no issues with mine other than a loose wire connection totaly unrelated to the trannys internal workings.

The older diesels will get better mileage than the newer ones becuase of the emission standards now. For example the new Cummins motor is going from 5.9 to 6.7 (or 6.something). Its getting bigger but its going to have about the same HP, why, to compensate for emissions. But for the first time in 40,000 miles I got a solid 14mpg from Atlanta to Tellico and back. We'll see how it does next week out to Moab. I belive they also already have the ULS diesel out that way so I can see how that does too.

All three are good trucks. Time and time again I read on the dodge forum the perfect truck would be Cummins motor, Ford frame and body, Allison tranny. Personally I just like the Dodge truck better.

Now you could wait to see what Nissan and Toyata come out with soon in the 3/4 ton......

Oh, also if I knew what I do now about tow capcities and legaly hauling I would have got the SRW 3500 for the extra $500 The extra cargo capacity of the 3500 is what makes towing a goose neck with heavy loads more legal than the 2500. All the rest of the ratings are the same.
    Last edited by Pearce; 08-23-2006 at 12:55 PM.
    www.grandslamsoutheast.com
    SOLD: 98 ZJ, 6" Long Armed, Locked 33" MTR, HP 9" and HP D30
    My Build Thread
    94 YJ, tons and 40s, no leafs, 5.3/4L60e
    04.5 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4, Smarty Jr

5. #30 Re: Diesel pissing contest 
    Not bad. 2wd or 4wd?

My truck has averaged 16mpg since I bought it.. (I keep track). The best tank was doing 80 mph all highway with an empty truck and I got 18.47mpg.
    Worst was pulling my Jeep/trailer to Fairbanks, I got ~14.5.

ULSD is out just about everywhere. It needs to be in place by 1 Oct I think. I know what's in the pumps now is a mix of LSD and ULSD since they aren't going to suck all the LSD out and just put ULSD.

I'd be happy if diesel wasn't $3.55-$3.73 a gallon here, where gas is right around $3 a gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody
    on my 2500 mile road trip I averaged 22 mpg loaded with just camping gear. I average between 15-18 mixed driving and about the same towing a 6000 lb trailer in my 99 2500 Cummins @ about 75 mph. Trucks is stock except for 265 tires.

I did the tranny last year at 160k miles. I'm not sure if it's the first or second time ti's been done. Other than that, and the starter (20 dollar rebuild) I've had zero problems in the last 2.5 years.

Cody
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

6. #31 Re: Diesel pissing contest 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Depending on how soon your ready to buy the truck and if you go Ford you might want to find out when the 6.4 is coming out. Supposed to be a killer set up and will also be a IH motor.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

7. #32 Re: Diesel pissing contest 
    my uncle has a 00 ram that just clicked 400,000 miles on it. 2500 long bed manual. he uses it to pull a 34' horse trailer w/ living quaters and tack room. he daughters are into the rodeo thing and they pretty much travel all the time. He changed the clutch, through out bearing..... about 50,000 ago. overall its a great truck. still pulls great, gets decent mileage around 17. i still think all three are great trucks. and if had to get one it would problay be the ford. just my thoughts.
    Louisiana Home of some rocks.
    95 5.2 L.A.,hybrid 60/9inch (sold) now back to 44/9 and 40 LTB'S
    Hurricane upgraded 46RH, Hurricane double stak, Hurricane Beadlocks, Hurricane Bumpers, Lots of missing Sheetmetal!

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan
    The only way to be for sure it's her is to stick it in her butt.

8. #33 Re: Diesel pissing contest 
    Figured I'd give one more opinion. My Uncle had a Dodge(0 problems), wife made him sell it cause of noise. He then bought a Duramax. He has had many fuel issues with this truck. I borrowed it 3 times and had it break down on me twice.(made a picture of my buddys dodge towing it to the dealer for him.)
    My buddy Kevin had 98 dodge. he bombed it and had the stock auto go out(imagine that.). He then bought a ford (6.0)manual and of course bombed it. manual tranny blew up. he got that fixed and then has had lots of oil leaks.(bitchin looking truck though).
    My buddy Brandon has a 2002 dodge dually(6sp). It's bone stock except an AIR BRAKE. Only problem he's had is the front ball joints.
    I've had an Auto 97 dodge with 0 problems and an 5sp 01 dodge, again no problems.
    I think you wanting a Dodge or Ford is on the right track. I think over all your going to have better luck with the Dodge. You'll probably pick up more chicks in the Ford though. The just have a better looking truck.

9. #34 Re: Diesel pissing contest 
    Quote Originally Posted by H3RESQ
    The just have a better looking truck.
    Yeah, I really love the look of the ford... I'm TRYING to wait to see how the new 6.4 turns out, with the new common rail fuel setup, piezo injectors, & sequential turbos. On one hand it seems interesting, but on the other, its really just a response to the new regulations starting 1/07. Its almost as if they're (all of the diesel manufacturers) fighting to get the performance back from all of the restrictive emissions. Although, I guess if reliablility goes up and mileage doesn't drop, no harm - no foul. Too bad the new headlights look incredibly ugly. Interior looks cool though. Like the current F150.

Thanks everybody for all of the input! I'll post a pic of whatever mess I get myself into!

10. #35 Re: Diesel pissing contest 
    Cummins hands down...twice on sunday. Amazing towing power. We use cummins diesel for all our towing fleet.
    Vegas Towing Service
    Owner
    Jason L

11. #36 Re: Diesel pissing contest 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Bumping a 10 yr old thread to pimp your towing business??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information