Thread: Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift?

1. #1 Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift? 
    Well, I had a Hard arm kit installed back a couple months ago. I am at 5.5" of lift. Not very happy with the coils I installed.. Way to soft.

Any good suggestions where I can get some heavy duty 6" lift coils? And what shocks are you using? Part #?

Also Anyone over 6" of lift what are you using for a Track Bar? Im thinking about putting some 2" spacers I have on top of 6" coils. But The JKS Track Bar I have is only good up too 6" of lift it said.

Im currently also looking into new driveshafts at the moment So I can Center the rear axle in the wheel well. I am having some rubbing issues.

However jeep rides very well, no vibration issues..

Thanks

2. #2 Re: Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift? 
    I have claytons LA kit with 7" RK springs with acos on top, I have an upgraded front driveshaft about the same length as stock and for the rear its a stock rear shaft just with a double crden joint at the tranny side, I have a 242 no SYE. no vibes at any speed. but I have cut the hell out of all my fenders and running 36" iroks, with claytons arms extended out as far as possible, and for my trackbar I have the jks one I just cut it and extended it out abouit 1.5" and sleved it inside and out
    8" RK/ Acos lift, rancho rs9000x shocks 32" extended, Claytons Longarms, with 38X12.5 TSLs, Custom Rear bumper, custom front bumper, Waggy D44 front 4.56's and Detroit locker with warn premium hubs and yukon alloys and 8 lug conversion, D70 out back with 4.56's and Welded, 242 transfer case, 1 Ton steering setup. Rhino lined interior, olive drab exterior, and PSC 1.75" hydro assist ram.

3. #3 Re: Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift? 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    I was planning to run the same 7" RK coils on my ZJ.

I actually have a brand new set of Bilstien 5150 shocks for it up for sale if your interested.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

4. #4 Re: Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    based on screen name, i would say he has a wj. don't go over 6-7" of lift. it is pointless and raises the COG. Are the springs you have the ones that came with the lift? If not, you might find out what springs Clayton could sell you.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

5. #5 Re: Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift? 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Granted, not sure if the shocks I have will work for you or not.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

6. #6 Re: Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift? 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner Pitch's Avatar
    I run RK's 6.5" springs on my WJ now. I am pretty happy with them so far. They have given me significantly more than the advertised lift height up front, and are about as advertised in the rear. That is running steel bumpers/winch, tire carrier, etc. The ride is a touch cushy, but stiff shocks would be better.

I run 26.5" RE monotubes up front, and 29 or 30" Bilstein 5150's with 255/70 valving in the rear. I have been happy with both, but adjustables may be better with the soft feel of the springs.

At this height, the JKS trackbar has served me well.

I do run a double cardon jointed d-shaft front and rear, with a SYE on the 242. I did have significant speed-dependant vibes before finishing up the SYE project last week.

I previously ran Tera 4" springs with a 2.5" spacer and find the RK springs superior in every way. I just can't speak to their longevity yet. If you want a truly "heavy duty" coil, contact Valley Spring works and they can custom make them to your specs.
    Toyota FJ80, lifted, locked, slow
    Sold: 01 WJ, 93 YJ, 86 CJ7

7. #7 Re: Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift? 
    I have 6" RK springs/shocks with my Clayton LA's. Got rid of the rear RK shocks and used MX6 set on highest setting since I ditched the rear sway bar and it works great. Driveshafts are from Eric at Six States-awesome work.
    2000 WJ Larado 4.0
    Clayton Long Arms
    Kevins Sliderz
    4:56/LS/33's

8. #8 Re: Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch

I run 26.5" RE monotubes up front, and 29 or 30" Bilstein 5150's with 255/70 valving in the rear. I have been happy with both, but adjustables may be better with the soft feel of the springs.
    I know my build is far more mild than yours, but what do the 5150s ride like in the back? looking for a stiff ride here (stock lift/UC coils, planning on throwing in a .75" BB up front to level it all out) , and i was thinking about using the 255/70 valving on all 4 corners.

9. #9 Re: Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift? 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner Pitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter
    I know my build is far more mild than yours, but what do the 5150s ride like in the back? looking for a stiff ride here (stock lift/UC coils, planning on throwing in a .75" BB up front to level it all out) , and i was thinking about using the 255/70 valving on all 4 corners.
    I'd go for it. They should be stiff, yet forgiving for you... comfortable, yet a good performer.
    Toyota FJ80, lifted, locked, slow
    Sold: 01 WJ, 93 YJ, 86 CJ7

10. #10 Re: Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    I have the RK 6" springs and a 1" spacer on the front. I sit higher then Teraflex 4" springs + 2" BB, but a little lower then Pitch now. RK keeps changing their springs, so it's hard to compare them to older ones, like what I have.

The springs are soft and I run the Bilstein 5125 with the 255/70 settings. 26" in the front, 30" in the rear.

The JKS track bar works just fine. Get the uber-stiff track bar bushings from Kevin to make it better.

Yes, the ride is soft and the Jeep does sway a bit on the road, but I like the soft ride. Makes wheeling nicer, the rocks smoother and I can really flex! I have a center limiting strap on the front to keep it from unloading too much.

I do have the factory sway bars, just disco the front for wheeling.

Adjustable shocks might be your ticket. Stiff for the road, soft for wheeling.
    Last edited by JohnBoulderCO; 08-10-2006 at 12:32 AM.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

11. #11 Re: Claytons Hard Arm, and anyone over 6" of lift? 
    You guys are great, thanks for all the good and helpful information, to help me make up my mind.. Think I may just keep the springs I have for now, try some 2-inch spacers, new adjustable shocks, and a new rear driveshaft for the right length..

Thread Information