Thread: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel.

1. #1 Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    I have 6" long-arm installed. It's been aligned and handles fairly well, but when on the highway, if I let off the gas, the Jeep sways a little in the back. Then when I accelerate, the back of the jeep sways to the right.

I'm wondering iof this is unique or if this is a normal part of running long-arms at 6 inches. If it's normal, it's certainly liveable, but if not, I'd like to see if it can be solved. Checked all the bolts and everything is tight.

Anybody else have this issue?

2. #2 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner Pitch's Avatar
    I experienced those exact symptoms when I was LA'd in the front only. Once I ponied up and did the rear, all was stable again. I always thought the front geometry was far more important than the rear, but the longer rear control arms made a HUGE difference in the drivability of my vehicle. Now, the ride is very stable. However, I now know enough to just run over small animals that dart in front of me instead of turning the wheel abruptly to avoid them... it's no sports car.
    Toyota FJ80, lifted, locked, slow
    Sold: 01 WJ, 93 YJ, 86 CJ7

3. #3 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbrty9
    I have 6" long-arm installed. It's been aligned and handles fairly well, but when on the highway, if I let off the gas, the Jeep sways a little in the back. Then when I accelerate, the back of the jeep sways to the right.

I'm wondering iof this is unique or if this is a normal part of running long-arms at 6 inches. If it's normal, it's certainly liveable, but if not, I'd like to see if it can be solved. Checked all the bolts and everything is tight.

Anybody else have this issue?
    You don't specify if you have the ZJ or WJ and if the ZJ whether you have the triangulated 4 link or "traditional" 5 link.

I orignally had the 5 link on my ZJ and had no problems aside from breaking my (rear) trackbar every outting (NOT the fault of the Clayton's kit). Got sick of that so sprang for the 4 link conversion and now have the same behavior you're talking about. I had a friend fab me up a mini trackbar which fixed the problem, but last trip out I ripped the trackbar mount off the subframe. I'll probably have it re-welded and just disconnect for wheeling season and reconnect for winter driving. I personally think there's a little play in Clayton's triangulated 4 link ZJ suspension. This wouldn't bother most people, but my ZJ is a daily driver in the winter and I still remember how well it rode when it was new - I still want as nice a ride as I can get while also having a good trail vehicle.

(95 ZJ, 4.0L, 5.5 inch lift, Clayton's 4 -link triangulated rear long arms, 33" tires, MIA rear mini-trackbar)

4. #4 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch
    I now know enough to just run over small animals that dart in front of me instead of turning the wheel abruptly to avoid them... it's no sports car.
    Yep! I get a little sway/roll, being so flexy, but I run both sway bars on the road and know that it's 75mph in the straights and not even close to that on the curves. But, it does flex like Nadia on the trail!
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

5. #5 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    It's a WJ and I'm running the Addco in the rear and stock swaybar in the front. I suspect that it's just the torque driving the rear axle one way or the other since it is more a a feeling like the back end is slipping to the side. I considered the specific issues you discuss and can deal with it when it's warm, but I'd be more concerned about it causeing the back end to break free under icy/snowy conditions. I think your trackbar idea sounds like a good cure. Can you provide any more details?

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    You don't specify if you have the ZJ or WJ and if the ZJ whether you have the triangulated 4 link or "traditional" 5 link.

I orignally had the 5 link on my ZJ and had no problems aside from breaking my (rear) trackbar every outting (NOT the fault of the Clayton's kit). Got sick of that so sprang for the 4 link conversion and now have the same behavior you're talking about. I had a friend fab me up a mini trackbar which fixed the problem, but last trip out I ripped the trackbar mount off the subframe. I'll probably have it re-welded and just disconnect for wheeling season and reconnect for winter driving. I personally think there's a little play in Clayton's triangulated 4 link ZJ suspension. This wouldn't bother most people, but my ZJ is a daily driver in the winter and I still remember how well it rode when it was new - I still want as nice a ride as I can get while also having a good trail vehicle.

(95 ZJ, 4.0L, 5.5 inch lift, Clayton's 4 -link triangulated rear long arms, 33" tires, MIA rear mini-trackbar)
    Last edited by Lbrty9; 08-15-2006 at 07:41 AM.

6. #6 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    It's a WJ and I'm running the Addco in the rear and stock swaybar in the front. I suspect that it's just the torque driving the rear axle one way or the other since it is more a a feeling like the back end is slipping to the side. I considered the specific issues you discuss and can deal with it when it's warm, but I'd be more concerned about it causeing the back end to break free under icy/snowy conditions. I think your trackbar idea sounds like a good cure. Can you provide any more details?

Well, since the trackbar is off the vehicle at the moment, I can take some photos if you want. But basically it's just a small arm that ties the top of Clayton's bracketry to a fabricated bracket on the subframe.

I personally don't think the play is dangerous, just annoying.

7. #7 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    Sure, I'd appreciate some pictures of the bar and brackets! Thanks!

8. #8 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    I've always called it torque steer. With my 4-link rear, I notice it especially when putting it into gear. Put it into drive, and the drivers' side sinks a bit.... Reverse, and it raises a bit. Its a little annoying, but I get used to it pretty quickly when I drive the ZJ. I don't think it will cause many issues on icy roads (certainly not nearly as much as a locker), but the only ice I see around here is in my tea.

9. #9 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    You can actually feel the back end sliding to the right when you accelerate with this set up. I'm thinking that it would break loose on ice or maybe even rain. I don't want to make a mountain out of it, but I'd like to feel comfortable handing the keys to the Missus, and I don't right now.

10. #10 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    I think it's a product of being lifted with a softer flexy suspension. Hell mine does it on short arms
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

11. #11 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    Just spoke to the guys at Clayton's (who are still awesome!) and they told me it was fairly normal for the spring to compress as torque is applied giving it the feeling that it's swaying.

They suggested some better, stiffer shocks.

Anybody have suggestions for Bilsteins (with part numbers) or something?

Thanks!!!

12. #12 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    Just spoke to the guys at Clayton's (who are still awesome!) and they told me it was fairly normal for the spring to compress as torque is applied giving it the feeling that it's swaying.

They suggested some better, stiffer shocks.

Anybody have suggestions for Bilsteins (with part numbers) or something?

Thanks!!!
    I don't buy this explanation. The trackbar (pictures soon) takes care of this problem. It sounds like you want pretty much what I want in ride quality and if you go with stiffer shocks, you'll be changing the ride quality, not necessarily for the better. If you want to go this route, I'd seriously consider some adjustables.

(FWIW I have OME long travels.)

13. #13 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    It's a WJ. I suspect that it's just the torque driving the rear axle one way or the other and considered the specific issues you discuss. I can deal with it when it's warm, but I'd be more concerned about it causeing the back end to break free under icy/snowy conditions. I think your trackbar idea sounds like a good cure. Can you provide any more details?

Quote Originally Posted by Z

14. #14 Re: Clayton's Long-arm handling - sways on accel and decel. 
    Solved it! Turns out that the Johnnie Joint in the drivers side rear LCA had come apart. Fortunately the circle clip was still wedged in there. Once I yanked it out and put it all back together it handled perfectly. It certainly explains why the Jeep felt like the back end was actually sliding laterally...

Thread Information