Thread: My 4wd transmission conversion the easy way!!! writeup

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: My 4wd transmission conversion the easy way!!! writeup 
    they are the same

2. #27 Re: My 4wd transmission conversion the easy way!!! writeup 
    Thanks again dude, you guys rock

3. #28 Re: My 4wd transmission conversion the easy way!!! writeup 
    Another question for ya. What Jeep and years did the the 231 t-case and the AW4 tranny come in. And from what jeep can i swap the front end from. I am tring to find these parts but finding it hard to match what will fit from the "Parting out Adds" Thanks again for all your help
    Tony

4. #29 Re: My 4wd transmission conversion the easy way!!! writeup 
    So here's the deal. If the gasket is messed up, be careful to not mess it up under the overdrive piston (I believe thats what it's called) Well, I didn't realize that if it wasn't messed up under this, than you can cut the new gasket to fit around the piston and that's a-ok to do. What I had to do to replace this gasket, was to take the ENTIRE transmission apart because there is a snap ring on the inside of the transmission holding this piston onto the back of the housing, as well as 6 bolts that are visible.

5. #30 Re: My 4wd transmission conversion the easy way!!! writeup 
    Quote Originally Posted by spykosshow View Post
    So here's the deal. If the gasket is messed up, be careful to not mess it up under the overdrive piston (I believe thats what it's called) Well, I didn't realize that if it wasn't messed up under this, than you can cut the new gasket to fit around the piston and that's a-ok to do. What I had to do to replace this gasket, was to take the ENTIRE transmission apart because there is a snap ring on the inside of the transmission holding this piston onto the back of the housing, as well as 6 bolts that are visible.
    ok so I take it that you got it all apart ok? sorry the scans from my rebuild book I sent were not very detailed about this... how hard was it to rebuild yourself? I still have the front section that I got my 4wd OD section from. I am keeping it just in case mine dies and I can rebuild that one and swap it in
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

6. #31 Re: My 4wd transmission conversion the easy way!!! writeup 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    ok so I take it that you got it all apart ok? sorry the scans from my rebuild book I sent were not very detailed about this... how hard was it to rebuild yourself? I still have the front section that I got my 4wd OD section from. I am keeping it just in case mine dies and I can rebuild that one and swap it in

It's really really easy actually, I was surprised.

Simple how-to rebuild the tranny-

-Drop pan
    -remove extension housing
    -remove NSS
    -drop vavle body
    -unbolt oil pump and remove using a slide hammer
    -loosen the front band
    -remove all the insides of the tranny
    -at the back, there is a c-clip around where the output shaft goes through...remove that
    -on the back of the tranny, remove the spacer ring talked about in this thread as well as the piston (?) so that you see the 6 bolts
    -slide the piston retainer out
    -install gasket
    -install everything backwards of above

Rear band - Tighten to 72in-lbs and back off 2 rotations
    Front band - Tighten to 72in-lbs

7. #32 Re: My 4wd transmission conversion the easy way!!! writeup 
    Thank you very much for the great write-up and pictures. I was able to swap a donor 2wd to a 4wd transmission using this thread. The hardest part was not having a transmission jack worth a shit...makes it a lot easier if you have a proper transmission jack. I just had an ATV jack and a low profile jack from previous road race vehicles.

Tools that made the job much easier were a cordless impact, 4' extension (or two 20" extensions) and a good wobble or two. Stubby Gear wrenches are worth their weight in gold for this.

Taking out and putting in the retaining clips for the transmission lines was a tiny nimble hand needing pain in my ass...I want to find some better connections for that in the future.

A good buddy and I swapped everything over in about 10 slow hours including breaks for breakfast, lunch and dinner and a few trips to the parts house for fluids and a wrench that could take out the transfer case plugs. A 30mm socket is what ended up fitting, which i already had, so there was no point in going to Sears TWICE for a wrench which was wrong both times...first 1 1/8 and then 1 1/4...i still dont know what size SAE it was.

Having all the right tools makes it a hell of a lot faster, 10 hours could easily be less than half that time with proper preparation.

Matching the torque plate to the torque converter before the transmission is pushed all the way to the mounting points is absolutely essential for time saving. We had the transmission bolted up before figuring out the alignment of the bolt holes in the torque converter were off. It makes a huge difference for brain-racking time spent. We ended up measuring the distance between the mounting holes on the old torque converter to figure out what was wrong. why wouldn't they evenly space them?!!!

All in all the swap was relatively easy. Thanks again for the great writeup

Dave
    Last edited by suruba; 07-23-2011 at 11:42 PM.

8. #33 Re: My 4wd transmission conversion the easy way!!! writeup 
    With the bellhousing bolted up you can turn the torque converter with a footlong prybar. (it's not a Ford with studs on the converter.) It will be trial and error to line up all the holes with the nuts on the torque converter. Generally if they are not centered then there will be one hole in flexplate with flat sides. That hole is the one you want to start first. There is usually a round circle on the torque converter beside the nut that corresponds to the flat sided hole. Line those two up and start the bolt and all the others will be right. If no flat sided hole then trial and error- you will get it by the 4th try. I thought I'd add this info for those who pull the rest of the transmission. Good article. I'm fixing to convert mine for the opposite reason: I only have $400 in it. I have a Dana 44 front and 9" rear to go in it as well so I might as well convert this one. (and put a 7" lift on it)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information