Thread: 1995 dodge 318 engine

1. #1 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    in JU they said that dodge 5.2l will not fit the GC since the starter is in the driver side. is it? i just bought a new engine in Detroit, 1995 318engine with 0 miles and i am shipping it to Israel. is it a mistake? i did not check it and was sure they are the same! at leeast they look the same!
    anyone?

2. #2 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    isn;t it the same motor? in my 96 ltd the starter is on pass side i think- but you could just relocate it. if its already enroute- then just deal with it that way

3. #3 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    I'd be cautious about JU advice...

I don't know why the starter would be drivers side (AMERICAN drivers side = left of vehicle, not sure how Israel is.) Either way, I don't know why you couldn't make it work.

4. #4 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    in Israel same as USA.... i did not say i can not make it work. the engine will arrive here in 3 weeks and then i will put it. some guys in JU said that the starter og dodge is on the left side while my GC has it on the right.
    i tried looking at many sites but could not find any clew to this "fact" or any other problem for the swap. i was wondering if any of you has already done it oe saw it being done.

5. #5 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    The starter bolts to the transmission housing, not the engine block. Plenty of room on either side of the block for a starter, so as long as you're just getting the engine, it shouldn't matter.

Corey

6. #6 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Good point

7. #7 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    Corey is right, the mount on the bellhousing is what dictates it location.

Currently the ZJ dodge 318's have the starter on the right side (passenger). I am in the middle of a NP435 swap (using a bellhousing from a '90 dodge truck with the 318/360 ) and I need to mount the starter on the left side (driver).

One thing that will probably interfere (with my swap) is the left down-pipe of the exhaust manifold. So if you are keeping the same transmission you will be fine.

HTH

-Tim

8. #8 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    I actually run a Dodge Durango 5.9 in my ZJ... same block folks... just different bolt on's.

AW
    Solid HP60 40 Spline 300M shafts
    Built 14B. 40 Spline 300M shafts

Quote Originally Posted by DankNesS
    MallCrawlin is like the mafia... if someone doesnt vouch for you then they just rip into you on every post

9. #9 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    HIJACK ALERT!!!

since this thread is on the engine topic already....

will the power programmers for the dodge 318 work with the ZJs? I don't know if the ECUs are the same and just rebranded or what. anyone ever tried it?

Hijack completed.

10. #10 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    Totally different harness than what I have vs Durango... I dont know about a P/U.

MallCrawlin is like the mafia... if someone doesnt vouch for you then they just rip into you on every post

11. #11 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    Very Little Good info on JU. A 318 is a 318, as long as it is a magnum motor. Even earlier 318's are very similar.
    1997 Limited on 35's, 7" long arm and F/R d44's with alloy's, superoints and other stuff.

12. #12 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    I just helped my buddy change his starter on a 94 5.9 dodge 1500 and the starter was located on the left side of the motor as compared to the right side on my 5.2 zj. Hope this helps!

13. #13 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    Again, the point is that the starter bolts to the TRANNY. The big issue is swapping in a 360/46re combo from a ram, etc... Then the starter would be on the opposite side, unless you use the 46re from 5.9 ZJ. I did the Ram 360 swap, but used a 5.9 ZJ 46re to keep the starter right where it belongs on the passenger side. All the 318 and 360 Magnum motors are the same. Just some different sensors and bolt-ons. Swap over your ZJ sensors and bolt-ons and the Jeep will never know the difference.
    '96 ZJ: 4.5" RE w/2" BB, 360/46re swap, Bilstein's, 36" IROK's, 8.8 rear w/Detroit, 4.56 gears, trussed 30 front with Trutrac, Warn 9.5XP, etc... Parted out and SOLD

'84 Scrambler - Locked, caged, and 37's

'98 5.9 ZJ: built 360 in the works

2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel

14. #14 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJZJ
    Again, the point is that the starter bolts to the TRANNY. The big issue is swapping in a 360/46re combo from a ram, etc... Then the starter would be on the opposite side, unless you use the 46re from 5.9 ZJ. I did the Ram 360 swap, but used a 5.9 ZJ 46re to keep the starter right where it belongs on the passenger side. All the 318 and 360 Magnum motors are the same. Just some different sensors and bolt-ons. Swap over your ZJ sensors and bolt-ons and the Jeep will never know the difference.
    when you did that swap did you swap to a 5.9 com or just kept the 5.2 computer. just currious since im thinking of getting a 5.9 crate this winter. kinda new to the chrysler game.

15. #15 Re: 1995 dodge 318 engine 
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhutton
    when you did that swap did you swap to a 5.9 com or just kept the 5.2 computer. just currious since im thinking of getting a 5.9 crate this winter. kinda new to the chrysler game.

Not sure what others did, but I used the 5.2 Mopar Performance ECU, and it runs great... the motor does not know what ECU to use... only state emissions...

AW

Thread Information