Thread: Friday's Golden Spike Run

1. #1 Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    We had a great time on Spike Friday, 13 rigs in total. We finished in around 13 hours, even though we had a lot of breakage.

? - broken tie rod, replaced
    me - broken steering box on the Wedge, replaced
    Keith - torn tire, spare put on
    Scott - broken UCA mount on High-Speed Mesa, welded on the trail
    brett - broken rear driveshaft on Double Whammy, towed out in 2wd
    me, snowman, mike, kieth, others? - random body damage from the crack and TREES.
    perhaps a broken shock too?

Props to the token WK who made it through with perhaps the least damage of all....

And props to John and Keith for keeping the group on schedule and doing a great job leading the trail.
    95 5.2L ZJ, 5.5" lift
    90 3.0L 300zx
    www.s-bomb.com

2. #2 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 

3. #3 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Guess I have to wait till Brett gets back to see the pics....hmmm, wish I could have been there. Hope everyone is having a wicked time.
    99WJ...9" Custom Stainless Longarmed, Full W HiP D44 front, Custom Stainless Full W HiP 9" rear, BoldDesign Front/Rear Bumpers, 36" Bias IROK's

4. #4 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Quote Originally Posted by XLSLC
    We had a great time on Spike Friday, 13 rigs in total. We finished in around 13 hours, even though we had a lot of breakage.

And props to John and Keith for keeping the group on schedule and doing a great job leading the trail.
    thanks for the update
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

5. #5 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Quote Originally Posted by XLSLC
    Props to the token WK who made it through with perhaps the least damage of all....

As the "token WK" I appreciate the compliment. And the job John and Keith did was truly amazing given the number and seriousness of the repairs--its a good thing so many came prepared with extra parts and such things as a welder and floor jack!

A few of the photos my wife took can be viewed at--

http://s158899088.onlinehome.us/

Let me know if you want a copy of any specific photo.

Thanks for making us feel welcome with the group, and we will definately come back again next year.

We had a great time

Russ
    ________
    2005 WK Limited with Hemi, 4-inch Superlift suspension, 33-in BFG ATs, custom roof-rack insert, brush/light bar, F/R skid plates and rock sliders--all by 4xGuard, CB, and KC lights.

2001 WJ Limited with 4.7, 2-inch BB, 32-in BFG ATs, custom rock sliders, Mopar brush guard, CB and KC lights

6. #6 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Quote Originally Posted by MBATF
    Comin right up.

http://www.s-bomb.com/wheelin/goldenspike2
    95 5.2L ZJ, 5.5" lift
    90 3.0L 300zx
    www.s-bomb.com

7. #7 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Don't forget my carnage, a poison spider bite on my ankle. Its now become infected and swollen to the size of a softball. Moab ER wouldn't give me any antibiotics. Now I'm home in CO and I feel like I have the flu and can't walk. Think I might go get a second opinion tomorrow morning.

Also I broke my rear lca unibody bracket. THe bushing came out and the nut grinded out the inside and broke off the outside. Thanks to Moab 4x4 for getting that fixed up today even though they were closed.

8. #8 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    ? - broken tie rod, replaced

Hey it was great to meet all of you. I had a great time at our first of hopefully many GSW's. I will post some pics later after we go thru the 300+ pics we took to put the best ones up here.

The pics were great!!! Kala missed getting a pic of my Tie Rod in its bent state so it was great to see that you got it.

Bill

9. #9 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjmike4
    Don't forget my carnage, a poison spider bite on my ankle. Its now become infected and swollen to the size of a softball. Moab ER wouldn't give me any antibiotics. Now I'm home in CO and I feel like I have the flu and can't walk. Think I might go get a second opinion tomorrow morning.

Also I broke my rear lca unibody bracket. THe bushing came out and the nut grinded out the inside and broke off the outside. Thanks to Moab 4x4 for getting that fixed up today even though they were closed.
    Did you break it on dump bump? Sorry your foot is doing worse and not better. And it was pretty heroic of you to lead Fins & Things in your condition, hobbling around to spot people over obstacles and all. Definitely get it looked at as soon as possible and keep us posted.

10. #10 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    I would like to thank Hunter and his friend for towing Brett (big WJ with broken drive shaft) off the trail. Thanks!!!
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

11. #11 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    04 4.7 HO limited
    04 4.7 HO Overland
    00 4.7 with no lift or mods (RIP)
    94 5.9 with lift and mods (sold)

12. #12 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjmike4
    I wouldn't wait until tomorrow!! If you feel febrile, that could be a BAD infection. You need antibiotics NOW. Sorry we couldn't help you out ourselves - I think the Moab ER might have been a little TOO conservative. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.
    '98 ZJ 5.2L with 7" KOR lift, 35x12.5 MT/R's
    D30HP 760 axles/u-joints with Ox in front, 8.8 with Detroit in rear

Build and offroad pics at jeepsite.net

13. #13 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    [quote=zjmike4]Don't forget my carnage, a poison spider bite on my ankle. Its now become infected and swollen to the size of a softball. Moab ER wouldn't give me any antibiotics. Now I'm home in CO and I feel like I have the flu and can't walk. Think I might go get a second opinion tomorrow morning.=quote]

I happened to run accross Mike as he was awaiting the doctor at a local Emergicare Center yesterday. I don't know the outcome of his visit there as I had to leave before he came out of the office. But I was surprised how swollen and red his angle was--it really looked bad. I really hope he is going to be OK. Has anyone heard anything more recent?
    Russ
    ________
    2005 WK Limited with Hemi, 4-inch Superlift suspension, 33-in BFG ATs, custom roof-rack insert, brush/light bar, F/R skid plates and rock sliders--all by 4xGuard, CB, and KC lights.

2001 WJ Limited with 4.7, 2-inch BB, 32-in BFG ATs, custom rock sliders, Mopar brush guard, CB and KC lights

14. #14 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Had he done the smart thing and stayed off it from the day he gotten bitten it wouldn't have been nearly as bad I imagine. It was just stupid driving around those few days with such a swollen ankle. Having said that I would have done the same thing
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

15. #15 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
    Had he done the smart thing and stayed off it from the day he gotten bitten it wouldn't have been nearly as bad I imagine. It was just stupid driving around those few days with such a swollen ankle. Having said that I would have done the same thing

Yeah actually I resisted to the urge to just suck it up and go ahead and still lead the Behind the Rocks group that day, so I guess I did something smart but sorry to anyone who had planned on running that. Actually if I hadn't talked to Stan or Tom stepping in and saying I will NOT be leading that trail, I probably would have but its a good thing I didn't. I think really the only thing that made it so bad was the fact that Moab ER didn't do ANYTHING for it. They gave me anti-itch cream and said suck it up too. So I thought I'd be fine. but I guess poison spider's poison takes like 2-3 days to take effect so the fact that I had to wait to get to a doctor who would give me antibiotics until Monday was probably the main reason it got so bad. Benadryl worked fine and I thought it fixed it at first but it really started to become ineffective towards Sunday. Now I'm back in Colorado where we treat things with actual medicine and I'm on real antibiotics so I'm about 80% better. Thanks again for the help guys.

16. #16 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Colorado 5.9's Avatar
    I hope you got some photos of it so swollen. Send them & your ER report from here to the idiots at Moab's ER.

One, too make them feel like the idiots they are. And two, they need to know there is something up there on Poison Spider that really is poisonous & if someone tells them they got bit up there then maybe they'll treat the next person better.

I'm glad you made it back OK Mike. Oh, I figure you got the control arm fixed. What did you end up doing exactly?
    98ZJ 5.9, 7" T&T's Long arm kit with belly pan,frame stiffeners,trusses front & rear. 35X12.50 16 BFG KM2's.4.56 Gears, Trail Ready Rear Bumper,Arbed HP D30 Aussie locked rear,ect.ect. Latest 5.9 Pics.

17. #17 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Remember that gravesite on Poison Spider Mesa with the 7 year old girl buried there from the 1800's that died from a spider bite? Thanks to modern medicine, it looks like we won't have to change the name of the trail to Poison Spider Mike.

18. #18 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    I grabbed a shovel and went to that dig it up and everyone I was with freaked out
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

19. #19 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Moab 4x4 outpost welding the bracket back (they now have welded three suspension components back onto my Jeep) and I used the front bushing for the rear.

20. #20 Re: Friday's Golden Spike Run 
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman
    Thanks to modern medicine, it looks like we won't have to change the name of the trail to Poison Spider Mike.
    Glad you're doing better, Mike! See you on the trail.
    '98 ZJ 5.2L with 7" KOR lift, 35x12.5 MT/R's
    D30HP 760 axles/u-joints with Ox in front, 8.8 with Detroit in rear

Build and offroad pics at jeepsite.net

Thread Information