Thread: Options for replacing broken parts at GSW?

1. #1 Options for replacing broken parts at GSW? 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    What kind of options are there for replacing broken parts at GSW?

If I break a part I am more interested in replacing it with a quality aftermarket part instead of replacing it with the same which will break again.

Specifically my front DS, if it goes bye-bye do any of the participating vendors carry a double cardian/u-joint replacement? Tom Woods going to bring stuff down there for spares for sale or I heard he might even have a shop in moab?
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

2. #2 Re: Options for replacing broken parts at GSW? 
    For those of you who have never been to Moab before, you will find at the south end of Moab one of the finest collections of offroading shops and repair places. Please understand that their businesses and reputations as well as that of Moab depend on people like us having a positive experience. They want to be known as the place to go for the best offroading experience possible. Be assured that they will have whatever trail tested equipment that we need. Many times, I have been told stories about repair shops staying open late repairing a rig or rebuilding a part, if necessary, to help offroaders be back on the trail the next day if at all possible. I do not have any direct experience, but their reputations proceed them.
    Snowman

I don't need no stinkin' lockers!
    All seriousness aside => 95 ZJ, 3.5" RE, Body Armor, Radiator Support, Steering Gear Support, ARBs front and rear.

Warning!! These posts may be infected with irony!

3. #3 Re: Options for replacing broken parts at GSW? 
    Tom Woods has a shop in Moab, I've had nothing but great experience with his shop, his son has even worked on things for me on his day off for free. Anywhere else I would HIGHLY recommend Moab 4x4 Outpost. Steve is one of the best guys around and will usually help you out with anything, he's even offered to take off my tranny and ship it to CO and put it back on for free. I left my jeep there for a month and a half when the tranny went out there and he absolutely would not accept ANY payment for the storage. Also had numerous weld jobs done there.

4. #4 Re: Options for replacing broken parts at GSW? 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Well thats good to hear, hopefully I end up replacing my DW voluntairly though
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

5. #5 Re: Options for replacing broken parts at GSW? 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner Pitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
    Specifically my front DS, if it goes bye-bye do any of the participating vendors carry a double cardian/u-joint replacement? Tom Woods going to bring stuff down there for spares for sale or I heard he might even have a shop in moab?
    I broke parts of my driveline on Cliffhanger last year, and my first stop after the trail was Moab Driveline. Conveniently, Tom Woods was filling in for his son that day, and immediately went to work on repairs. I began disassembly in the parking lot, and Tom had a new TC yoke, repaired the double cardon end of my shaft, and even offered a new rear TC half to make up for the "injury" to mine in a matter of minutes.

Even if yours is not an emergent repair, the businesses in Moab that cater to the offroad community do just that. Heck, even if you just wanted to upgrade your d-shaft, stop in Thursday, measure it up, and it will most likely be ready to go later that day or Friday.
    Toyota FJ80, lifted, locked, slow
    Sold: 01 WJ, 93 YJ, 86 CJ7

6. #6 Re: Options for replacing broken parts at GSW? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Also, if it's something that you break on the trail and need something to get you off of the trail, most of us have enough spare parts in our rigs to damn near build a whole nother rig. Either that or we do stupid crazy shit like drive a tow rig in with a 16' trailer to pull someone's rig off the trail.

7. #7 Re: Options for replacing broken parts at GSW? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ
    Either that or we do stupid crazy shit like drive a tow rig in with a 16' trailer to pull someone's rig off the trail.
    you calling me stupid? Thats it we're fighting.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

8. #8 Re: Options for replacing broken parts at GSW? 
    rofl

9. #9 Re: Options for replacing broken parts at GSW? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    I will have some WJ parts if it gets down to it. But like said above Tom Wood and 4x4 Outpost are great shops with good people.

I was able to change a rear axle shaft at Tom woods and when I broke my spare the next day I stored my WJ at the Outpost for 2 weeks until I was able to arrange going back to get it. The Outpost carries parts for ARBs and such as well which is hard to find at shops sometimes.

The local auto parts stores have decent inventory too.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

Thread Information