Thread: Axle swap and tone ring?

1. #1 Axle swap and tone ring? 
    OK the dana 60 is about done and just ordered a universal tone ring for dana 60 (dana part #42928) Does anybody know how to wire my sensor off my stock axle? Going to delete ABS, but want the speedo to work. Also 1 of the members mentioned I may have to wire in a dakota digital box to calibrate the speedo? Any and all help would be awesome. Thanks
    2000 WJ Larado 4.0
    Clayton Long Arms
    Kevins Sliderz
    4:56/LS/33's

2. #2 Re: Axle swap and tone ring? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    GSSW Planner
    My experience with this may or may not be relevant. I put a custom Currie Ford 9" under the front of my 2004 WJ limited last summer. I had my stock tone ring pressed off and machined to fit the new axles, and kept my stock sensor. After getting everything back together I discovered my ABS comuter was toast, and I haven't bothered to fix it. My speedo is still accurate however, so I'm not sure that the tone ring has anything to do with the speedo. As I understand it, the speedo is driven by a sensor in the t-case- in the 242's a gear driven sensor and in the 247's I think it's computerized. Or something like that.
    A while back I came across a post by someone who wanted to eliminate ABS for similar reasons, but not get the ABS light on the dash. He said he fooled the ABS computer by replacing the sensors w\ a resistor. I don't know how many ohms though, and haven't seen anyone else do this successfully. Maybe you can find some info on it. Hope this helps.

3. #3 Re: Axle swap and tone ring? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Speed comes from the rear axle tone rings only. There are no sensors in the stock WJ T-cases. You can splice into the front tone rings for the speed signal, a rear tone ring (including the 8.8 tone ring or D60) or a new T-case that has a speed signal, like a 231 or Atlas. If you drop ABS then you can feed this into your PCM for indicated speed. If you want to correct it, then a Dakota Digital is needed. If you want to know where the splice goes, I can send you a pic (Adam aka ALWJ showed me where it is). I plan to do a write up on the 8.8 swap including speedo, when I have a chance, life is crazy at the moment.
    Last edited by JohnBoulderCO; 04-12-2006 at 09:05 PM.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

4. #4 Re: Axle swap and tone ring? 
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoulderCO
    Speed comes from the rear axle tone rings only. There are no sensors in the stock WJ T-cases. You can splice into the front tone rings for the speed signal, a rear tone ring (including the 8.8 tone ring or D60) or a new T-case that has a speed signal, like a 231 or Atlas. If you drop ABS then you can feed this into your PCM for indicated speed. If you want to correct it, then a Dakota Digital is needed. If you want to know where the splice goes, I can send you a pic (Adam aka ALWJ showed me where it is). I plan to do a write up on the 8.8 swap including speedo, when I have a chance, life is crazy at the moment.
    JohnBoulderCo, am I on the right track? Would I use the Dana 60 tone ring or try to remove the Dana 35 ring and have it machined to fit a 60 axle? And yes I would love to know where the splice goes. (Any and all help) Thanks again for your help. Also thanks FearTheDentist for your reply.
    2000 WJ Larado 4.0
    Clayton Long Arms
    Kevins Sliderz
    4:56/LS/33's

5. #5 Re: Axle swap and tone ring? 
    Here is the link to ALWJ's write up.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=456577

You need to choose where you want to get your speed signal from, I listed the choices above. If you don't swap the front axle, then use the front tone rings. If you swap front and rear, then use the T-case or add a tone ring somewhere. Add it back to the front shaft, use the D60 or 8.8 tone rings or add a tone ring to the drive shaft.

Here is his pic of the wire. You splice on the other end, not the end on his finger, the other side heading away from the CAB as stated in his write up.

Then you pull the ABS and Brake lights from your dash cluster, a 15 minute job. There is a write up here on how to pull the lights: http://www.wjjeeps.com/
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by JohnBoulderCO; 04-13-2006 at 12:12 AM.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage

6. #6 Re: Axle swap and tone ring? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Since WJs are disk brakes this really doesn't apply other than I would recommend using your stock tone rings or ones from other WJ donor axle shafts as my brother found that ZJ tone rings to be different between the disk and drum brake axle shafts when he was looking for extra rings for my D44 build.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

7. #7 Re: Axle swap and tone ring? 
    If you give up ABS and use a digital convertor you can use any tone ring you like. I would not machine your axles to fit a tone ring. You cut where the shaft has been hardened. If you can machine your tone ring to work, go for it.

8. #8 Re: Axle swap and tone ring? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    For now I am using the front tone rings for my speedo. I just wired the rear inputs to the front tone ring senors. It works great. I did pull the ABS fuses (2) one under the hood and one under the dash. I also pulled the idiot lights from the dash. It has been several months now and no issues. I may some day put the old tone rings on my Currie axle shafts but not a priority. Another place to put a tone ring besides converting your tcase is putting one on the rear yoke and use the dakota or true speed converter.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

Thread Information