Thread: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ogdak
    A metric tape measure.
    I know - I was being facetious

2. #27 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Sorry to bring back this old thread. I just tried to e-mail brian at dccontrol to see what is the status of my controller. I ordered, and payed for, it 4 weeks ago. Well, my e mails bounced back to me, and his web site is no longer accessible on the web. Did he go out of buissness, and steal my money?

3. #28 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    The webpage was down for awhile...right when I was ordering, so I ended up with one from painless that I am not overly impressed with. Anyway, he is there now.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

4. #29 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Admin
    I ordered a replacement sensor last week and it shipped out recently, have a tracking number. He's a bit slow, but good stuff.

I killed my temp sensor in the mud.

5. #30 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    I just wanted to bring this thread back to the top again.

I did the Taurus fan/DCC setup on my 95 5.2 ZJ in March in anticipation of attending GSW2007.

Let me say that this was one of the best mods I have every done to my Jeep. With everything I have done to my Jeep to help keep the temps in check, while sitting at an idle on 100 degree plus days and the AC on, my temps would begin to creep up to the 220 plus area. Now after this mod that is not the case.

GSW 2007 was in my opinion the ultimate test. On Friday and Saturday with the air temp in the Moab area in the 105 to 107 range, I ran my AC on the trails, and left it on while my Jeep sat at an idle for 15 to 30 minutes on the trail and not once did I ever get above 180 degrees.

6. #31 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    I saw Ronnie's install in action too, and this will be my next mod - high temps on the trail are truly frightening. I had to be stingy with my AC because of the heat buildup. I'll post up in my journal when I get the parts. Thanks for showing me the setup R
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

7. #32 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    I saw Ronnie's install in action too, and this will be my next mod - high temps on the trail are truly frightening. I had to be stingy with my AC because of the heat buildup. I'll post up in my journal when I get the parts. Thanks for showing me the setup R
    Jim np. You are why I went back and found this thread, lots of good info.

Here is Delta's website http://www.dccontrol.com/ I used the FK35 controller. It is a complete kit with nothing left to buy. He does build these as they are ordered so it can take a few weeks since they aren't laying around on a shelve. Also you can google "Taurus fan swap" and get more info if need be.

It was great to meet you and you family and I look forward to wheeling again with you.

Ronnie

8. #33 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Hello. I am new to this site but I wanted to let everyone know what has happened to me. I purchased the FK-35 fan comtroller from ddcontrol. It took 4 weeks to get here and 2 days before it blew. I sent it back to Brian Baskin for a repair as it came with a 90 day warrantee but Brian said he couldn't fix it. That is all he said. He can't fix it!!
    He said nothing else like "here let me sen you another one" or here's your money back. He basicly said beat it or tough luck chump! He won't return emails and his phone is always off the hook. He is hoping that I will just go away but I won't.

I have filled a complaint with PayPal and they recomend that I file a complaint with the government at IC3.gov for internet fraud. Selling products with a warrantee and then not honering that warrantee should be concidered a fraud.

Stay away fron Brian Baskin

9. #34 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Link no work!
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

10. #35 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    He takes the site down when he gets too busy or doesn't want to deal with anybody. It usually happens when there is negative feedback floating around.

11. #36 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    I'm going on about 2 years with my DCC controller. Keeps my junk cool all the time. Brian's even made an account on another forum in the past to help me with a customization I wanted to do on the box.

I'm sorry to hear you had issues with yours. Let us know if he sends you a new one despite not responding. Remember that he does build them by hand, so yours could be in the queue.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

12. #37 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Looks like I am playing the waiting game now too. I ordered a control box about 6 weeks ago and no word yet. A guy I know ordered one and it took close to 3 months to get to his door
    97 ZJ 5" and 35's

13. #38 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Admin
    The guy has a good product that's obviously in demand, you think he'd get his act together...

14. #39 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    He actually emailed back and said he is making a batch of the controllers and they will be shipped out friday. An e-fan is going to be so nice!!!
    97 ZJ 5" and 35's

15. #40 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    It really is nice to have the e-fan, and the controller makes it so much easier to implement.

Mr. Baskin makes a damn good product, and I'm proud to have it on my rig.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

16. #41 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    I've been running one for the last two years in my 97' ZJ. It did take almost 2 months for mine to arrive, but the wait is worth it. I actually used a fan out of 5.9 grand though. Really happy with everything, esp in slow traffic with high heat and humitiy, never gets hot anymore.

17. #42 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    ok guys i ordered the 2sp kit for my tarus fan, installed it, and it worked for a whole 3 seconds, then kaplut, natta, nothing, checked everything 5 or 6 times, everything was correct, but still nuthin, i called brian and he said that if i send it back he will check it and if its crapped out he WILL send me another, so i just said fuck it and i ordered the FK-50P and im gonna see what that does instead. if any of you guys have that controller you can pipe up at any time.
    No longer a JeepTech01 fan.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

And ELLLLLIOTTTTT................I think..........Yup and ELLLLLIOTTTTT.

18. #43 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    So you called him and he said send it back. If it shit the bed, he'll send another one.

Then you ordered the 50? Are you still sending back the 35?

I'm confused
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

19. #44 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    naaa im keepin it.
    No longer a JeepTech01 fan.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

And ELLLLLIOTTTTT................I think..........Yup and ELLLLLIOTTTTT.

20. #45 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    I wish I knew what I was getting into. I purchased one of these box of rocks from Brian. The thing worked for a month then stopped. I sent it back and he said I never had it installed? OK nice technical answer. That was 3-4 unanswered emails later. This guy is a real piece of work. His product looks nice on paper but does not perform. And don't think there is a 90 day warranty. Because I was within it. Even after he so kindly took his sweet ass time to reply. Product does not perform and customer service does not exist. Buyers beware

21. #46 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    The spal controller has been updated for higher current. My older one I have yet to hook up but it seems to have a good rep.
    And it comes with excellent instructions, gives you a wiring diagram for every combination.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

22. #47 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Nice man. I have one of the DC controllers sitting in a box right now waiting to go in the WJ, so I'll let ya all know how it works
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

23. #48 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Quote Originally Posted by texas2000 View Post
    I wish I knew what I was getting into. I purchased one of these box of rocks from Brian. The thing worked for a month then stopped. I sent it back and he said I never had it installed? OK nice technical answer. That was 3-4 unanswered emails later. This guy is a real piece of work. His product looks nice on paper but does not perform. And don't think there is a 90 day warranty. Because I was within it. Even after he so kindly took his sweet ass time to reply. Product does not perform and customer service does not exist. Buyers beware

He was told exactly what happened to it. I found that the controller was connected to the battery with the wires reversed when he installed it. He then wanted to blame the people who changed the oil on his truck, that's when I pointed out that the sensor had never been heat cycled, so there was no way that they could have been responsible for it.

I can post the emails if he wants.

24. #49 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy63b View Post
    ok guys i ordered the 2sp kit for my tarus fan, installed it, and it worked for a whole 3 seconds, then kaplut, natta, nothing, checked everything 5 or 6 times, everything was correct, but still nuthin, i called brian and he said that if i send it back he will check it and if its crapped out he WILL send me another, so i just said fuck it and i ordered the FK-50P and im gonna see what that does instead. if any of you guys have that controller you can pipe up at any time.
    You should send it back. If it was my fault, I'll refund you for the 2sp, but there is no way to tell what happened without looking at it first.

25. #50 Re: Review of Delta Current Control’s Taurus Fan Controller 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lgoodson View Post
    Hello. I am new to this site but I wanted to let everyone know what has happened to me. I purchased the FK-35 fan comtroller from ddcontrol. It took 4 weeks to get here and 2 days before it blew. I sent it back to Brian Baskin for a repair as it came with a 90 day warrantee but Brian said he couldn't fix it. That is all he said. He can't fix it!!
    He said nothing else like "here let me sen you another one" or here's your money back. He basicly said beat it or tough luck chump! He won't return emails and his phone is always off the hook. He is hoping that I will just go away but I won't.

I have filled a complaint with PayPal and they recomend that I file a complaint with the government at IC3.gov for internet fraud. Selling products with a warrantee and then not honering that warrantee should be concidered a fraud.

Stay away fron Brian Baskin
    Larry has a 240z that he bought with an lt1 in it. I have a total of 64 emails from him, with 42 responses, that’s not a misprint.

The first controller I sent him he said was defective because the engine was overheating, I then explained to him that an lt1 requires that the system is bled in order for it to cool. He then wanted step by step instructions of how to bleed the cooling system of an lt1, which I gave him. At least 40 of those emails were just for the installation and trouble shooting. Once the system was bled, the controller worked perfectly until he connected 12V to a ground wire in his wiring harness. The instant he did that, the controller started running the fan full speed, he didn’t believe that the two were related. This is the explanation I gave him for the two being related:

I’ve done engineering for about twenty years, some in research and development and some in production, failure analysis was part of the production job.

The first thing I look at is timing, if a part was operational for a period of time and fails during an event, that event becomes suspect. The level of suspect is dependent on the failure rate of the part both in that circuit and in general. If it’s a reliable part, particularly in that circuit, then I look for a cause. In other words, the part may very well be reliable, it may have happened the instant of the event, but there has to be a method for the event to have caused the failure.

On the first, the event timing, I run the controllers here for 20 minutes and you ran it there for I’m assuming about that same amount of time. Products fail early in what is called an infant failure rate which is described by a “bathtub curve”, which is named that because it has the same curve as the side of a bathtub. In other words, the failures are highest the second it’s turned on, drop dramatically to a flat, low failure rate area, and then rise again as the part wears out. So the timing of it failing the second the wire was connected is significant. Because the duration of the event was so short, the odds are in the 10,000:1 region. The part used is a texas instruments op amp, which has been in use since the 80s. I picked that, along with the other pieces to design around by their track record. TI specs the part to have less than one failure per million, but I’ve never seen a failure without an outside cause in twenty years. It’s also isolated from the rest of the circuitry in the controller, so I’ve seen the same with the controller.

That leaves a method. The only two things that can damage the part are reversing the input power leads, which didn’t happen, and applying a voltage to the input that’s either very high or a negative voltage. The yellow input wire is tied to that part through a resistor, which provides some protection. The actual method is an inductive voltage spike. An inductive spike is caused by removing current from a length of wire, the longer the wire and the higher the current is, the larger the spike. It can easily be several hundred volts from a 12V system, so it’s not instability, it’s the inability of the controller to withstand that voltage that did it in. You can do a google search and find that fairly easily. I think if you traced through all of the wiring, you would find some connection, either direct or indirect, from what you were working with to the yellow wire.

With regard to protection being built in, companies build protection in depending on both the cost and how likely a problem will happen. For example, there have probably been at least a few basketballs that have gone through television screens, the television companies could easily protect against this with a piece of thick glass. They, of course don’t do that because it’s unlikely to happen, but that alone isn’t enough, for example, most people don’t have concrete in their living rooms, but they can’t sell televisions that fail just because they’re set on concrete, regardless of how rare that might be. In order to deem a protection unnecessary, the event not only has to be something that rarely happens, it also has to be something that is caused by an event that someone could foresee as a significant risk to that part or to something else. In other words, the person wouldn’t necessarily have to foresee the basketball going through the television screen as a risk, the risk of them breaking something else in the room is reason enough not to bounce the basketball in the living room.

On a follow up email:

One thing I forgot to add is how I think the spike itself occurred. The last time I talked to you, you thought it was a ground wire. What would happen then is that the 12V from inside the car would supply current to that wire, the 12V harness supplying the current would be the equivalent of an ignition coil with the points closed. The voltage would then spike when that wire is disconnected. The one model that I've done is for the starter circuit if the battery is located in the back of the car. For a 200A load and a 10 foot wire, when the starter solenoid is released, that wire produces 150V, so, 200A through 10 feet produces 150V when the current stops, a longer wire with less current would also produce that spike. It also doesn't take any time, if you arced the wires together, it would take 40 micro seconds to get to 200A on a 10 foot piece of wire, not long enough to blow the fuse, but long enough to cause a 150V spike.

He then decided that the controller was defective because it wasn’t protected in the case that someone connected 12V to a ground wire. We eventually settled on a price for a second controller, as far as I know, that one is still working.
    Last edited by baskin; 05-04-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thread Information