Thread: When to install a SYE?

1. #1 When to install a SYE? 
    Currently have 4.5 inch lift w/1" transfer case drop and have no vibs from driveshaft. Switching over to claytons hard arm setup and with this crossmember i'll lose the the 1 inch drop. Will I need to put in a SYE with the same 4.5 inch springs? Anyone else running similar set up? Thanks

2. #2 Re: When to install a SYE? 
    I think it probably varies from jeep to jeep. I have a 93 ZJ w/ 5.2 and a 249. When I bought it at 240k miles, It had a home brew lift that I imagine was prolly around 5.5" when originally installed....not sure how much sag it had when I got it....but it had plenty of room for 32s. Anyways...I had no vibration at all. I was under the impression that 249s were prone to vibration???
    I installed RE 4.5" springs and developed a slight vibration between 20-25 and that was it. But alas..the 249 shit the bed today...so I will be swapping in a 231 w/ an sye
    Chuck MacLellan

www.mudrivermotorsports.com

Hey Competitors....Check out SIRA4X4.net

3. #3 Re: When to install a SYE? 
    It does depend on the jeep

I have a 98 zj 4.o and 242 with the RockKrawler 7" lift and had no problems with vibe's The kit drops the t-case 1"

4. #4 Re: When to install a SYE? 
    Though it may depend as others say....I just added 2" spacers to my F>R swap and don't sense any vibes.
    5.9 ZJ With stuff attached
    It's true that I'm old enough to have been there done that.....it doesn't make me an expert...it just gives me an educated opinion.

5. #5 Re: When to install a SYE? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    the way the claytons crossmember is set it up, it gives 1/2"-3/4" drop anyway. so if you are fine now, i would guess you will be fine after the longarm install
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

6. #6 Re: When to install a SYE? 
    I was running 5.5" lift and 34's with no SYE or Tcase drop, and had no vibes, I would just run without one until needed, or swap out the 249 and if you can get a deal with a SYE then jump on it.
    8" RK/ Acos lift, rancho rs9000x shocks 32" extended, Claytons Longarms, with 38X12.5 TSLs, Custom Rear bumper, custom front bumper, Waggy D44 front 4.56's and Detroit locker with warn premium hubs and yukon alloys and 8 lug conversion, D70 out back with 4.56's and Welded, 242 transfer case, 1 Ton steering setup. Rhino lined interior, olive drab exterior, and PSC 1.75" hydro assist ram.

7. #7 Re: When to install a SYE? 
    I put one in because I wanted the stronger output shaft and I didn't like the factory setup. Also to help with the vibrations.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

8. #8 Re: When to install a SYE? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    I put one in because I wanted the stronger output shaft and I didn't like the factory setup. Also to help with the vibrations.
    agreed. i have one and like it for those reasons, but if you dont have the money or could use it elsewhere you should be able to do without.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

9. #9 Re: When to install a SYE? 
    from what i understand... the ZJ/WJ wheel base added with the control arms/rear coils, let you lift much higher w/out vibes than the typical XJ. The arms allow the axle to hold a much better pinion angle through the travel of the rear suspension. This being said, I'm also @ 4.5" with zero vibes. I also know tons of guys who run more lift w/out problems & less lift on XJ's that need sye's. Hope that helps ya.
    dd - Red '96 5.9 ZJ Limited, 4.5", 33's, hp30/al44, skids, sliders, ARB bumper
    gf's dd - '02 4.7 Ltd. WJ, 2.5" bb, skids n' hooks

1 BAD WGN

Thread Information