Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
44HD Install and regear

Thread: 44HD Install and regear

1. #1 44HD Install and regear 
    This is my first attempt at a writeup so put it where you think it may belong.

Here's where it starts

Pull all of your cover bolts but the top one and pop the cover loose with a weapon of your choice..I use a deadblow hammer.

I had a leaky pinion seal too

I wondered why my pig got water inside and my antilock quit working....I found out why.

Here's the inside with stock gearing and center pin turned so you can see the center pin bolt that has to be removed to get the center pin out. You need a E8 torx for this and it's easier if you take off the passenger carrier bearing bolts first to allow straighter access.

For those who have never had your carrier out this is what a 44HD limited slip diff looks like disassembled.....except for that broken clutch plate...that's bad

Here's a closeup of one of the idle spider gears that was damaged by parts of the cluth floating around.

I didn't go into detail on extracting the carrier as that should be pretty self evident....take the 4 carrier bolts out and gently pry out the carier.
    I also didn't go into detail on pulling the pinion. I used a pipe wrench to hold the yoke and a 1 5/16 socket to remove the pinion nut.. Changed the pinion seal and reassembled in reverse order with new bearings. I did add an extra shim under the pinion bearing to help make up for the difference in pinion gear size...it worked for me.

Here is the new pinion installed (4.10 gears...stock were 3.73) and the open carrier with the driver side part of the aussie installed along with center gear and c-clip cover. IMPORTANT.....ENSURE THAT YOU INSTALL YOUR STOCK THRUST WASHERS ON THE LOCKER FOR PROPER CLEARANCING. step by step photos You can also see the gear pattern from my gear install....It's not bad so I'll live with it....I set pinion preload to 19 in/lbs and backlash to .006" (first try )

Here is the carrier turned and ready for the center pin install

Dont forget to install the pins and springs per instructions with the kit

Slap some RTV sealant on the cover and put it back on

All comments are welcome. Hope this helps someone.
    5.9 ZJ With stuff attached
    It's true that I'm old enough to have been there done that.....it doesn't make me an expert...it just gives me an educated opinion.

2. #2 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    19 in/lbs... is that what the book called for? I don't have a book in front of me, but that seems a bit high.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

3. #3 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    nice write up.... makes me not so scared to try mine, eventually
    1998 5.9, 5.5" Front/ 4.5" Rear (RE), 33/12.50's Trxus MT's, ARB Bumper w/Warn 9500HS, 231HD...SOLD...Stupid Divorce!!

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    start giving teachers guns... or tazers.... or clubs or just a 2x4 with a nail in it

4. #4 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    before you took the lsd out was it making a popping sound when you turned bc mine does

5. #5 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    the write up lacks a lot of info... sorry not trying to be a dick. by this i mostly mean about the install of the r&p. There are locker install guides on here so no biggie on that. Im just saying you left a lot of info on the install out. Like i said im not trying to be a dick.
    95 zj, KOR 7" long arm kit, lockrights front and rear, 285/75/16 (32.9x10.3) on rock crawler 16x8x4.5bs, kevins track bar with a home brew conversion, K&N FIPK, and Rubicon Express gen II discos.

Ready for install... home brew sliders
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...hlight=sliders
    Dr. Mambo
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...ighlight=mambo

6. #6 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Also not trying to be a dick, but I wish you would have gone into it a little more step-by-step. I've seen a 44a torn down and reassembled (didn't do it myself), but I fear you may have instilled a bit too much confidence in somebody who hasn't done it before.

May I recommend listing the tools needed to measure backlash/preload? Perhaps some explanation of the use of said tools? What about a case spreader to pull the carrier? Pics of a few more steps than you have here would be extremely helpful.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

7. #7 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Good job guys. Way to harp on a guy's post that's 2 1/2 years old!!

8. #8 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Holy shit I love this website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
    What a fucking concept, eh? How dare you bring logic to this thread. What are you, some kind of asshole?

9. #9 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Ha no kidden me toooo

10. #10 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Oops...I blame the noob....KFab's fault!
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

11. #11 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    W...T....F...!!!

lol

12. #12 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    Oops...I blame the noob....KFab's fault!
    agreed.
    95 zj, KOR 7" long arm kit, lockrights front and rear, 285/75/16 (32.9x10.3) on rock crawler 16x8x4.5bs, kevins track bar with a home brew conversion, K&N FIPK, and Rubicon Express gen II discos.

Ready for install... home brew sliders
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...hlight=sliders
    Dr. Mambo
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...ighlight=mambo

13. #13 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    It will give the guy a chance to update whether his R&P install held together...

14. #14 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    Also not trying to be a dick, but I wish you would have gone into it a little more step-by-step. I've seen a 44a torn down and reassembled (didn't do it myself), but I fear you may have instilled a bit too much confidence in somebody who hasn't done it before.

May I recommend listing the tools needed to measure backlash/preload? Perhaps some explanation of the use of said tools? What about a case spreader to pull the carrier? Pics of a few more steps than you have here would be extremely helpful.
    I know for fact the jeep shop manual has a caution about the case spreader. I don't have it here But it basically cautions don't spread past x or the aluminum case will not return to its original dimensions. I've been told by two diff mechanics in two diff cities this can cause MAJOR problems!

Dave
    Dave
    81 CJ-8
    91 YJ
    98 ZJ 5.9 Limited

15. #15 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    i know this is an old post, but did i miss something in the writeup or don't you have to use different shafts when you switch to the open style carrier.. or is that just a wj thing?

16. #16 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Quadra-drive thing
    93 ZJ V8

17. #17 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Thought I'd post this here.

Here is a link to the dana service manual for this rearend. I used it when I did my 44HD.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/X5001-CVSP.pdf

Things of interest would be the part numbers for the side shims (The JK ones would not fit. I tried) and the backlash is supposed to be between 4 to 6 thousands. Not the normal 6 to 10 thousands that a lot of dana axles use. I had to order shims as I had none behind the bearings from the factory and I had to move it a small bit. I also used a piece of metal bolted to te housing where the cover goes for a mount for my mag mount dial indicator.

anyway, fyi

18. #18 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Since this post is alive again.......yes....the install absolutely did hold together. I've never had a regear yet that didn't go well. I did eventually break a locker pin but Aussie replaced them, no problem. I've since gone back to open and sold the Aussie. Now I just need to pull the Ected out of the front and go back to open there.

Wheeling open diff is so much more fun.
    It's true that I'm old enough to have been there done that.....it doesn't make me an expert...it just gives me an educated opinion.

19. #19 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    ^say what?
    i hate my open diffs

20. #20 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Well then do I have a deal for you.

21. #21 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Quote Originally Posted by fr3db3ar View Post
    Since this post is alive again.......yes....the install absolutely did hold together. I've never had a regear yet that didn't go well. I did eventually break a locker pin but Aussie replaced them, no problem. I've since gone back to open and sold the Aussie. Now I just need to pull the Ected out of the front and go back to open there.

Wheeling open diff is so much more fun.
    Great information and update. Did you have any problem with the Ected in the front differential since they claim when unlocked it is basically limited slip, which it is my understanding is not recommended for front differentials?
    1998 ZJ Limited 5.9 with over 215,000 miles (mostly freeway)
    Mostly stock moving to "wolf in sheep's clothing"
    OME springs and shocks

22. #22 Color of the fluid... 
    Love the color of the fluid....does anyone know if most or all Quadra Trac 249 installed ZJ's have the limited slip?

Baja-D
    96 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 5.2L V8, 33" BFG KM2's, D44A/D30, Quadra-Trac NP249 with Skid Row skid plate, 4" ACOS and spring lift, Kevin's Rock Sliders, ProComp MX-6 Shocks, Smittybuilt roof rack, "2GO 4LOW".

23. #23 Re: 44HD Install and regear 
    Depends on what was equipped from the factory - I've never seen any percentages. My 44a was open before I slapped an Aussie in.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

24. #24 Re: 44HD Install and regear 

Thread Information