Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My stroker is dead. Now what...

Thread: My stroker is dead. Now what...

1. #1 My stroker is dead. Now what... 
    So I found out that my Golen 4.7 stroker motor is toast. Totally my fault too. I bought a miata in the winter and the jeep went by the wayside, not remebering i filled it with straight water in the fall. So it was pissing out fluid out the side when i started it up this spring. I just ripped it apart now and took off the head to find out that my block is cracked. Guess my freeze plugs didnt work... Great.

So now the question is do i 5.9 swap it, build a bigger stroker (4.9 or 5.0) or do something crazy like that 4b cummings?
    98 GC 4.0 BORED .60, 4.7 stroker, rustys 4.5 custom lift, fastman tb, oba, 33 swampers this that and whatknot...

92 subaru justy rally car mazda b6t- 1300lbs + 250hp = crapping pants

run over a HONDA its your CIVIC duty!

My jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn.

2. #2 Re: My stroker is dead. Now what... 
    WTF is a cummings?

If you're happy with the I6, build another, bolt it in, and be done with it. By far the easiest route.

If not, I recommend a GM 5.3/ 6.0/ whatever depending on the power you want. Any of them will blow your old I6 out of the water and get better mileage doing it.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

3. #3 Re: My stroker is dead. Now what... 
    The only reason I want to build another stroker is the ease of bolting it right in. I'd love to put in 5.9 or LTx, but that just seems like a ton of work. That and I hat wiring haha.
    98 GC 4.0 BORED .60, 4.7 stroker, rustys 4.5 custom lift, fastman tb, oba, 33 swampers this that and whatknot...

4. #4 Re: My stroker is dead. Now what... 
    Looks like you just answered your own question - pick up another 4.0 block, get it machined for the parts you already have, and drop your rotating assembly and cam in (with new rings and bearings of course). If the only damage is to the block, the internals should be fine.

I wouldn't add more power than you have (had) unless the rest of the drive train is already built up. IMO, it's not worth dumping money into "serious" 4.0 stroker parts. If the quench and compression ratio are right and it's not a thrown-together mess, you could throw a turbo on it later with with a different trans and axles behind it.
    scrotum.

5. #5 Re: My stroker is dead. Now what... 
    I hope it's not "thrown together" it was built by Golen.

Too bad you're so far away. I have a 5.9 and 4.7 stroker for sale.

7. #7 Re: My stroker is dead. Now what... 
    When I said thrown together, I meant put together without attention to detail and/or parts that "fit" but don't give proper quench height and won't work well together. Quench is a big deal with Jeep strokers but often not addressed. Proper quench is obtained with custom rods or pistons, decking the block, head gasket thickness, or a combination of these. For $3600 for a long block, I'd hope they had it dead nuts on.

A quick look at Golen's site shows that they deck the block and it looks like they might use some custom parts, so to duplicate what you had you'll want to find out exactly how much they deck it and which head gasket they use. Otherwise you'll end up with less power, less efficiency, and a detonation-prone engine.

Edit: This is assuming you'd put the new motor together yourself. You should be able to get a good used block and have the necessary machining done for less than $500 depending on how hard you look. Add in rings, bearings, gaskets, etc. and you should be able to do have it back up and running for well under $1000 if you do the work yourself (assuming nothing else was damaged).
    Last edited by IndyZJ; 09-25-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    scrotum.

Thread Information