Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project Budget Baller

Thread: Project Budget Baller

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. #1 Project Budget Baller 
    Started a build thread on JF, but figured I'd get better tech help and advice over here. Here's the history/plan...

I picked up this super clean 94 factory 5 speed in June to replace my DD F150, and phase out my XJ wheeler. The only downsides were no 5th gear and a blown rear end, but that was reflected in the $1000 price tag. The plan is to build a rig that can serve DD duties in the winter when my VW goes into hibernation, but still handle most of the trails in the area. It needed to have all the creature comforts my XJ didn't, and it needed to pass inspection. Here's a few pictures to show it's progress.

The day I brought it home:

And the money shot:

Did an 8.8 swap to replace the blown D35

Set it up on 2" OME coils/shocks and 31" MTR's on steelies.

I had the ARB compressor from my XJ, so I ditched the factory airbox to make room for it.

Wheeled it once, had some fun, but I knew I wanted more...

Right about the time I decided I was happy with it, Squash decided he was going to sell his ZJ. I picked it up for a good price, and stole all the goodies before setting it up on the OME kit and axles that had been under mine. I set the 94 up on his axles and suspension, an 8.8/HP30 combo with 4.10's, RE short arms, 4.5" RE coils up front/F>R swap, 5125's blah blah blah. Then I picked up a set of 5 matched 33" TrXus on 17" Pintlers for a screaming deal. Here's how it looks now.

The plan now is to swap in a new AX15 I should be picking up this week, then set up another HP30 housing with the ARB/Chromo's from the XJ so it's locked F/R. I started trussing the housing the other day, after that it will get the T&T customs OTK bracket, JCR 1ton steering OTK and a RuffStuff cover. That should keep the DirtyThirty alive for a while, without breaking the bank. After that I'll be doing the 99+ manifold swap, a header, Taurus E-fan and a Chevy PS pump. Then once the weather warms up and the dub comes back out, I'll get into the stiffeners/cut-out sliders, and my plan for a custom recessed winch front bumper.

Enough blabbing, time for you guys to critique my plans.
    Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey
    94 ZJ 4.0/AX15/231SYE, narrowed HP44/8.8, 5.13's, midarm 3link, 35" MTZ's, blah blah blah...

2. #2 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    Looks good man ill sell ya a 99+ manifold.
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

3. #3 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Quote Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
    Looks good man ill sell ya a 99+ manifold.
    Thanks. I have the manifold already, I just need to buy a header, then I'm waiting on those motor mounts, and a 63mm TB I bought to show up. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent header? I was looking at the ~$100 Ebay specials, they seem like the best bang for the buck.
    Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey
    94 ZJ 4.0/AX15/231SYE, narrowed HP44/8.8, 5.13's, midarm 3link, 35" MTZ's, blah blah blah...

4. #4 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Got a little more work done on the truss. The T&T bracket should be here next week, along with a new flex joint for when I shorten my TB.

SPEEDHOLZ! Forgive the ugly welds, I haven't played with a MIG for a while...

I put two ribs inside to help strengthen it. Overkill? Probably, but I don't want to bend another housing.
    Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey

5. #5 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Hey man, as long as the welds hold...roll with it. Pretty doesn't always get ya home
    Brian
    1aauto.com
    866-433-3393
    Jeep Repair Parts

You'll never have to worry about bending a tube now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. #7 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ABrian View Post
    Hey man, as long as the welds hold...roll with it. Pretty doesn't always get ya home
    I realized last night when it was bugging the shit out of me that I had pushed the weld while using fluxcore, instead of pulling it. I'll probably end up grinding them out and rewelding it to make sure there's no porosity.

Quote Originally Posted by 96RedZJ View Post
    You'll never have to worry about bending a tube now.
    That's what I'm hoping, the HP in my XJ bent pretty bad when I jumped it, I'd like to avoid that in the future. The bending that it, not the jumping haha.

I got my Ironman4x4 engine mounts in today, they look like some nice work. Now I just need a header and some time to get the engine work done.

Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey

8. #8 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Truss looks pretty good and simple. What are your plans for welding the rest to the chunk?
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s
    Subscribe to our Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ClemsonOffroadClub

9. #9 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    looking good so far man

10. #10 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Quote Originally Posted by UTChavok View Post
    Truss looks pretty good and simple. What are your plans for welding the rest to the chunk?
    I should be picking up an Oxy/Acetylene combo next week, so I'm going to heat the shit out of the cast section, weld in ~2-3" sections, peen it with a needle scaler, heat a little more, weld, peen, heat, repeat until it's done. Then I'll wrap it up in some old horse blankets and let it cool nice and slow overnight. I'm going to leave the top of the truss off, and the tubes out until I can weld the front and rear truss plates inside and out. I want to make sure I get as much solid contact with the pumpkin as possible, or else it's all pointless.
    Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey

11. #11 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    What a fucking toilet.
    Think Twice Garage

12. #12 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    What a fucking toilet.
    Eat a bowl of dicks, fatty.

Also, oops.

Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey

13. #13 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    No need for a rear window. Care to explain how you did that?

How are those Trxus in the snow?

14. #14 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Obviously not good enough to keep him from sliding into a tree

Snow/ice can make your rig do funny things beyond your control. I've crabwalked trails with my Jeep before since that's the only way I could get it to go "forward".

Before he posts, I'll take a guess at what happened. The tree was on a hill climb (or there was at least some sort of incline after it) and as he was driving up it, the rear end kicked out, he lost forward momentum, and it slid back into the tree.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 01-23-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

15. #15 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Jeep Whore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post

Before he posts, I'll take a guess at what happened. The tree was on a hill climb (or there was at least some sort of incline after it) and as he was driving up it, the rear end kicked out, he lost forward momentum, and it slid back into the tree.
    are you speaking from experience?
    _______.00000. << ---Mine------____.____.
    //_|__l__,\____\,___---Dads>> /l __,[____],_
    l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
    (o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ----------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Glws = good looking wagon sir

16. #16 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    No need for a rear window. Care to explain how you did that?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    Obviously not good enough to keep him from sliding into a tree

Snow/ice can make your rig do funny things beyond your control. I've crabwalked trails with my Jeep before since that's the only way I could get it to go "forward".

Fuego almost got it. There was a hill, I tried it 3 times in low range, 2nd gear bouncing off the limiter and didn't make it. Each time I slid back and was inches from the tree. The last time I tried I hit it in 3rd, and stopped at the same spot as before. I proceeded to stall it, then go down much faster this time, and finally hit the tree. Besides that incident I have been very impressed with the tires in the snow, both on road and off. I ran them at ~8PSI this weekend and they stuck to every ice and snow covered rock. Just not the ice and mud on that hill...

Started banging it out tonight and it's looking better. I'm going to do some more tomorrow, then it gets new glass fo' free on Wednesday.

Beginning.

Middle.

End. Well for tonight at least.

Also picked up my 4.2 crank/rods for the stroker, and my 63mm TB.

And how I've been driving to work, trying to stay warm.
    Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey

17. #17 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Lookin' good. Keep up the good work and congrats on the battle bruise!

18. #18 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Got most of the body work done this afternoon. The bondo isn't perfect, but it's a trail rig so fuck it, run it. As soon as I find some OEM red I'll spray it and give it a quick wetsand to blend it.

Cleaning

Taped and bondo'd

Primer
    Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey

19. #19 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Picking this up this weekend...

Squash and I were pulling the winch off of his old ZJ, so we decided to see how the ARB would look on mine...

Not the greatest picture, and I'm not sure how well the stool will stay there while I'm driving, but I'm going to run with it. The lights aren't mounted either, they're just sitting there to get an idea. I've never been a big fan of the ARB bumpers, but it gets my winch mounted right away, and saves me the $$$ I'd spend building one. Once all the other **** like the front axle, engine and rear bumper are done I'll make something up with a better approach angle.
    Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey

20. #20 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Looking good dude..

I think the ARB is the best looking readily available front bumper for a ZJ. That includes Hanson, and i'v always been a fan of their styling since before i had one on my XJ.

I love those rims!!!!

Sent from my microwave using a teleportation device.
    Last edited by Jeepn1371; 02-01-2012 at 01:28 PM.

22. #22 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlandXJ View Post
    Looking good dude..

I think the ARB is the best looking readily available front bumper for a ZJ. That includes Hanson, and i'v always been a fan of their styling since before i had one on my XJ.
    I don't mind the looks, but I hate how far it sticks out. I just figured since I had it laying around it gets my winch mounted in an hour instead of taking a couple days, or more, to make something up. Right now spare time is hard to find, so FIRI until the summer. You going to NAC-fest? I need another ZJ to help me crash the party!
    Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey

23. #23 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    I like the front view of the ARB but yeah those stick out far. I bet with the weight you drop lose at least an inch on the front lift
    Brian
    1aauto.com
    866-433-3393
    Jeep Repair Parts

24. #24 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Fo realz this time

Looks like shit without a grill, but I'll take care of that this weekend. I had Napa mix me up a can of color matched spray bomb, so I'll finish the hatch, and paint the other goody that's going up front, a 5.9 grill. Then if I have time Saturday I'll rebuild my front shaft, get a new battery in it, redo the cables and wire up the winch.
    Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey

25. #25 Re: Project Budget Baller 
    Wheeling pictures.

This is the hill I had to pull cable on, I got this far and couldn't make any more progress. The winch worked well though.

Parked in Peterborough, NH to get some dinner.
    Think Twice Garage
    Resident Throttle Jockey

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Thread Information