Thread: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    As usual, I'm making this a big trip for me. I'm planning on staying in Moab for a few days AFTER GSW to run some trails in a smaller group.

Kraqa's planning on coming too, but we don't have dates down yet. I'd like to try and get something in stone so I can get my hotel reservations all planned out.

Kraqa - what else do you want to wheel, want to hit up Colorado too?

Con sounds fun but I don't know if it's worth the back tracking for either of us.

2. #2 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    You guys plan on buggy only trails or??? It wouldn't hurt me to take a couple extra days of leave.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

3. #3 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Admin
    I don't think there are that many buggy only trails that that's all we could do, and honestly I don't think Kraqa OR I want to run only hard-core trails.

It looks like I'm probably going to have a TJ seat in the back of the buggy anyway, incase we did something you dont want to take your rig on.

4. #4 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I might be up for some CO shiznit if I don't break my crap too bad.

5. #5 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Matt-

Last year on Sunday, Mike Moore, Kelly, Geoff, and I took a couple rental TJ's down to a place about 70 miles south of Moab called Canyonlands National Park. Mike knew the place pretty well and had been there before so he showed us around. While the wheeling wasn't anything spectacular (i think the TJ's we had were on 33's and they did just fine w/ stacking rocks in a couple little spots), the scenery was by far some of the most beautiful stuff I've ever seen in my life. Put it this way, if you were to rate Moab on a scale of 1-10 as a 9 with beautiful scenery, this place was like a 12...seriously awesome breath-taking stuff. We also did a fair amount of hiking as well, since many of the "look out points" are not accessible with any sort of vehicle.
    Anyway, I'd like to go there again this year, so maybe if you're interested we could head down there on Monday or something. Wait and see if Mike responds to this post, he might be up for showing us around there again.

-Ron-
    1993 Trashcan, 7/8 Ton, 37's

Some people play golf, others enjoy football...I just really like fucking with people.

Vote REPUBLICAN.......because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE!!!

6. #6 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Admin
    Ron -

I hit it last year on my way back from AZ,/ bryces etc. I might be game for that, but since this will be my first big trip in a buggy, I don't know, I might just waanna wheel more hard stuff

As far as CO goes Dave... Mark and I have our eyes on Carnage BV

7. #7 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    You guys have fun on Carnage BV! Maybe we can work OCG into it too, take my rig and Pam's up OCG to the top of BV Carnage, and then we can walk down to where you guys are and then run OCG (or at least the waterfall) after that.

8. #8 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Admin
    I'm thinking we should make a camping / wheeling trip out of it... I mean there's so much around there. Depending on your winter Iron chest is awesome too, as long as I don't slide off the mountain this year!

Any other ideas? If I come out this year and won't be for nearly as long as the last 2 years, so I really need to plan in my wheeling time well, haha.

Ron - after thinking more about it, maybe that 1 day down in canyon lands would be a nice relaxing break between Moab and then whatever...

9. #9 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Camping and wheeling MIGHT work at some point. I'm using up all my vacation time pretty quick here, lol.

10. #10 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    you guys should make a 2 day trip of the white rim trail...thats one of those once in a lifetime kind of trails. I've been on parts of it, and would like to do the entire thing one day.

that is if you'r ein for scenery and solitude. You'd have to book the campsights now since there is only 1 ever 15 miles or so and you have to reserve them.

Cody
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

11. #11 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    I think Colorado would too far out of my way.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

12. #12 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    2 GREAT CO trails are all of 90 minutes from Moab . . .

Although I think Billings Canyon might be a little more than you're looking for, 21 Road is a kickass trail.

13. #13 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ
    Camping and wheeling MIGHT work at some point. I'm using up all my vacation time pretty quick here, lol.
    Maybe we could do it the WEEKEND (or a fri - monday if its a bigger tirp) after GSW? I know you often work weekends, but it'd probably be easier for Pam and Mark and maybe Jill if she'll put up with us, LOL.

14. #14 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    That's why I'm thinking do a few more days in / around moab (maybe canyonlands) and then those of us with more play time (read: more pissed off customers cause i wont be available) can head to CO after that.

I guess I'm pretty much trying to recreate my adventure of the last couple years, but invite some other people

15. #15 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody
    you guys should make a 2 day trip of the white rim trail...thats one of those once in a lifetime kind of trails. I've been on parts of it, and would like to do the entire thing one day.

that is if you'r ein for scenery and solitude. You'd have to book the campsights now since there is only 1 ever 15 miles or so and you have to reserve them.

Cody
    I need to look into that... I wish I knew about it last year, I had a couple days with no one to wheel with. I'm all about the solitude if I get the chance.

16. #16 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    It's not so much the vacation time Matt... I have about 60 days. Mainly the money. I'd love to wheel all over the U.S... just fuel is expensive!
    Last edited by nate; 01-30-2006 at 01:45 AM.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

17. #17 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Sorry i didnt' get to this thread.

i will get the exact days off work on monday but i'm definatly down. i woudl be more towards wheeling colorado then canyonlands. i got two weeks off and the first weekend is GSW so i have lots of time. the con whoudl be nice.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

18. #18 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    What are you guys taking for time off? If I take from June 7-14 will that work out?
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

19. #19 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody

Cody
    We did Canyonlands in October, the scenery was spectaular, wheeling was pretty much DD stock doable, but we went for the scenery. Some wheeling for the wifes with lots of picture stops helps balance out the rock crawling trips that my brother and I enjoy. I would recommend doing it from West to East as that would make the obsticles the hardest. If you want to camp get online and find the phone number for the park service in the next day or so, we couldn't book anything sooner than three months. June might not be so bad as it is hotter and maybe less demand. 435-259-4351 is the phone I think and you must have campground reservations.

As far as CO goes, I think that hitting 21 Road and Billings would be a great idea and would work your rigs. I'm pretty sure that you can camp somewhere around there too without any fees or minimal ones if there are any.

-Todd
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

20. #20 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Staff
    i'm donw for what ever but i only got 2 weeks off and 6 days total are going to be spent driving to and frm moab.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer

21. #21 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    The 2-day White Rim Trail that Cody suggested sounds really cool. I've always wanted to run a trail that requires camping somewhere at a midpoint...seems like much more of an adventure than just going from point A to B in a few hours.

I'd really like to do the extra trails like Monday and Tuesday after GSW if possible. I (like most others probably) shouldn't extend my vacation out there all the way until the following weekend like Matt's talking about...I'd like to be on my way home by Wednesday at the latest.

If you guys want to do those CO trails or White Rim trail on Mon and Tues, would anyone be interested in doing Canyonlands on the Wednesday BEFORE GSW?
    1993 Trashcan, 7/8 Ton, 37's

Some people play golf, others enjoy football...I just really like fucking with people.

Vote REPUBLICAN.......because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE!!!

22. #22 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Staff
    EPIC POLYMER RACING

23. #23 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    GSSW Planner
    I'll definitely be up for a few days post GSW. I also may be interested in Canyonlands the Weds. before. I'm more of a spectator at this point as I'm not familiar with the area (coming up from Phoenix) but once y'all figure it out just let me know where to be I can run pretty much any type of trail comfortably between the WJ and the buggy so I'm game for anything.

24. #24 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Admin
    .....Heldorado...... droooooooool.

I'm a fan of scenic stuff too, but I'm heading out for less time than usual, with my newly built buggy, so I'm really planning on running hard stuff. That doesn't mean anyone else interested in whatever can't do it, I'm just saying my plans

Kraqa, I'll give ya a call in the next few days to talk about options between moab area and CO! There's some trails I could only dream of running before with the last build.

25. #25 Re: Moab wheeling AFTER GSW 
    Admin
    The seat may or may not be occupied by my brother now, but I could always make one of you hang onto the cage for dear life. No that'd be bad LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information