Thread: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. #76 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Crawled under Pam's ZJ today with the intention of pulling the 249 and swapping in a 231. But the damn case wouldn't come out. Yes, checked to make sure all 6 nuts were off. Pulled, yanked, ratchet straps around the rear axle, didn't go anywhere. There's some play at the top, but NONE on the bottom.

Anyways, the bottom most stud that goes through the tranny housing is completely corroded to the tranny housing. Doesn't even budge. Wasn't enough room on the stud either to get 2 nuts on there and try to back it out of the case and the housing. So I cut the stud down to the tranny housing hoping the corrosion wasn't very deep. Got it to where the stud is flush with tranny housing, and no dice. Soaking in PB Blaster as I type. No room to drill it out either. Will heat hurt or help here? Any other ideas?

2. #77 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    I had to do the same thing, I used a torch....and a steady hand. Blew out the stud and did some prying

3. #78 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    When I lived in NY the road salt would cause the case to seize itself to the trans extension housing and we used the BFH since it is really the only viable option without damaging the trans. Few few good hard hits it will come off make sure you have a nut threaded on to keep it from flying off.
    The Fleet:
    92 XJ 4.7L AW4 NP 242 Dana 30 with lock right 2000 XJ brakes and stub shafts, Chrysler 8.25 with 29 spline shafts and trac lock 4.56s, 35 12.5 BFG MTs on Soft 8 steelies
    2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Off Road
    2005 KJ(Wifes Jeep)
    96 ZJ Project Creampuff because it is insanely clean

4. #79 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Tried some different things today, nothing worked until we put a cut off wheel on the dremel and it cut just far enough into the t-case to pop it loose. Everything mated up perfectly after that except the rear driveshaft. Gonna get that shortened tomorrow and then we're back in business!

5. #80 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    AND.... we fixed my check engine light. It was a very technical and time-consuming fix.

Damn N80 check valves!
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

6. #81 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    We've been fighting a couple ongoing issues with Trixy that have been pushing us towards buying Pam a DD.

Ever since the t-case she's had a nasty vibe at anything over about 25mph. We played with rear pinion angles and nothing made it any better. Pulled the rear driveshaft today, and voila problem's gone. I had suspected the main shaft in the new case, but apparently when we got the the driveshaft shortened and balanced they did a shit-tastic job.

The 249 also wreaked havoc on her front end before we could get it out of there. Put new trackbar bushings in there and the front end feels much more solid now. Haven't had it over about 45, but hopefully this does the trick.

7. #82 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Driveshaft's fine. Next culprit is the mainshaft of the case. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate this Jeep?

8. #83 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    I saw "Trixy" this weekend on I-25 at the Founders pkwy exit and she is looking very good! However she was completely spotless. Maybe it was because all of the rain we've got lately....

9. #84 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    She got a little 4-lo action yesterday up near Rollinsville, nothing major though. First time we really put the new 231 in lo range, so happy that went well.

10. #85 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    The future is kinda up in the air right now for Trixy. We got a new DD for Pam the other day, so she won't be driving it every day anymore. Might pull the tires off and put them on my F250 to buy some time before we have to buy new tires for my truck since they're worn. We might take the winter to fix some of the ongoing issues with Trixy, or we might find another 96-98 V8 ZJ, probably a Laredo, and move some of the parts over and have that be my DD and have it see light wheeling/camping duties during the summer. If we do get another ZJ, we'd probably pull the motor and such out of Trixy and keep them as "spares" and then I'd hack off the tailgate and part of the roof to help enclose my rig before we send it off to the crusher. Not really leaning any one way over another right now, so we'll have to wait and see a bit.

11. #86 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    Putting the rear back on eh...?
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

12. #87 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    If I do, it'll still keep the bed, basically the lift gate would be at the C-pillar.

13. #88 Re: Project : Trixy the Official MallCrawlin Project Vehicle (now with more lift!!) 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    If I do, it'll still keep the bed, basically the lift gate would be at the C-pillar.

ahhhh, makes sense. My friend did it on his recently, if you need pics or help, I can ask him.
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Thread Information