Thread: 249 out 242 in

1. #1 249 out 242 in 
    Busy weekend. Swapped out the POS 249 for a 242 out of an XJ. Had to do the Input Shaft swap. Went pretty smooth. Get her bolted back in and the linkage adjusted and all is well. Sure turns a lot easier now on at the mall in 2WD mode

Also installed my Rocky Road Sliders. Not much fun to install..but they look solid.

Can't wait to go try out all the new mods. I bought the 242 shift plate to remind myself what gear I'm in

I tried to use the 4WD switch from my 249 in my older 242...it sort of works. I did the plug swap but must need a newer 242 switch with 4 wires since it only shows Full-time 4WD on the VIC.
    Last edited by mjos; 12-11-2005 at 10:51 PM.
    1993 ZJ, 4.0L, Auto, NP242, Rubicon 4.5" SF, 33" muds, ARB Front Bumper, Rocky Road Sliders.

2. #2 Re: 249 out 242 in 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Good to see you got the swap taken care of! I'll be around for a bit Monday and Tuesday if you want to swing by and check out the ZJ.

3. #3 Re: 249 out 242 in 
    Quote Originally Posted by mjos
    I tried to use the 4WD switch from my 249 in my older 242...it sort of works. I did the plug swap but must need a newer 242 switch with 4 wires since it only shows Full-time 4WD on the VIC.
    thats just a metter of swaping wires on the back of the vic. I have read it is the balck or red set of wires. one set is currently pluged in and the other just sittin there I have heard to jsut swap wires and it will work correctly.....
    but thats just what I have read, I havn't done the swap yet but will sometime soon just need to find the right tcase 4 me
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

4. #4 Re: 249 out 242 in 
    Yeah it's something like that. Take a look one my website. I wrote it up a while back. Don't remember what I did now and I'm too lazy to look
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

Thread Information