Thread: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    i have a 99 and up intake i'd like to install and im definately more inclined to bore my own TB than pay for one...

the only question i have about boring it out is how you get the butterfly to match the new bore?

thanks

2. #102 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    if you want it larger than 60mm you have to:
    a. buy one already bored
    b. build your own butterfly

if your good with 60mm just bore out the taper under the butteryfly
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

3. #103 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    so you dont have to bore the upper part of the tb?

4. #104 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    if your good with 60mm then, yes the taper (55mm) starts BELOW the butterfly so as long as your careful you don't need to do ANYTHING to the butterfly.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    We're all insane here...

5. #105 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    go here for more info and ideas but I did it with a steady hand and going very slow with a drill press. if you use a drill press don't side load it much as it's not meat to be used as a mill:
    http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTBboring.htm
    We're all insane here...

6. #106 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    so maybe my intelligence is lacking but i can't find what part number belt to run with the new intake

7. #107 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    so maybe my intelligence is lacking but i can't find what part number belt to run with the new intake
    yep lacking haha
    first post
    I also had to get a new serpentine belt part number 4060922 / 6PK2345 Goodyear Gatorback.
    AKA the same as the 96-98 4.0's ZJ's
    We're all insane here...

8. #108 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    I just called the stealership and the "bracket" was $105!! I dont know if that came with everything, as they told me it was on back order and I was busy putting my eyes back in and my jaw off the floor.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

9. #109 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    I just called the stealership and the "bracket" was $105!! I dont know if that came with everything, as they told me it was on back order and I was busy putting my eyes back in and my jaw off the floor.
    Which bracket are you referring to? The one for the power steering pump? If so I think I have one sitting around I can hook you up with.

10. #110 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
    Which bracket are you referring to? The one for the power steering pump? If so I think I have one sitting around I can hook you up with.
    Yes, thats the one. This is the one for a 99+ right? Do you have the pulleys and bolts to? I am having trouble finding one in a yard.

11. #111 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post

i'd call another dealership.. they have different pricing schedules from location to location. if you can call one with some competition

12. #112 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    i'd call another dealership.. they have different pricing schedules from location to location. if you can call one with some competition
    I usually do, but they were way more than I had anticipated. I did finally find one at a yard for $35. Things to note.

The "usual ZJ idler pulley" may not all be usual. The ones from my 95 have back spacing, while the one from the bracket has negative back spacing. Also, I am about to try it, but I think my 95 style pump will fit this bracket.

13. #113 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    wow that pricing is WAY out of line!

I have run into the idler pulley issue before where at orielly auto I bought 2 pulleys and one was one way and the other was correct. Keep trying til you get the correct style with the spacer bushing.
    We're all insane here...

14. #114 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    The bracket came with the parts, bolts and pulley. That's where I could see they were different. Pumps are different. The 3 bolts that hold the pump to the bracket are different. On mine, 95-, there are 3 on the front, and 2 in back, all are threaded. I am guessing, by the bracket, that the 96+ is 3 through holes. front to rear. I moded my intake by drilling it out and bolting from the back, and I have one that will go through since there is none on the back side. I do need to shave some of the housing to get a bolt past, but it should all work.

15. #115 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    my 95 pump bolted up.. mostly, there was 1 hole on the pump iirc that didn't line up. IMO 2 bolts in the front and 2 in the back is plenty for the powersteering pump..

i did notice that the idler pulleys have different backspacing however and now my serp belt keeps wanting to walk off the front of the ps pulley, ive adjusted how far the ps pulley is pressed onto the pump and it seems to be slowing the belt walk down significantly.

anybody got thoughts on the belt walk?

16. #116 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    I used the 96+ pump and have 0 issues with belt walk. There might be a difference in pulley mounting position between the pumps.
    We're all insane here...

17. #117 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    I used the 96+ pump and have 0 issues with belt walk. There might be a difference in pulley mounting position between the pumps.

can you post a pic of how far your pulley is pressed onto the pump shaft. my pulley is flush with the end of the pump shaft. im probably going to pull it back about 1/8 or so and try it again.

18. #118 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    my 95 pump bolted up.. mostly, there was 1 hole on the pump iirc that didn't line up. IMO 2 bolts in the front and 2 in the back is plenty for the powersteering pump..

i did notice that the idler pulleys have different backspacing however and now my serp belt keeps wanting to walk off the front of the ps pulley, ive adjusted how far the ps pulley is pressed onto the pump and it seems to be slowing the belt walk down significantly.

anybody got thoughts on the belt walk?
    I was looking at that. Mine looks to be in a little bit as well. I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue, but I am worried, especially since you seem to have had that problem.

19. #119 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    can you post a pic of how far your pulley is pressed onto the pump shaft. my pulley is flush with the end of the pump shaft. im probably going to pull it back about 1/8 or so and try it again.
    yeah no prob. I'll get one at lunch
    We're all insane here...

20. #120 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    ok that was faster that I thought I could break away
    I couldn't find a good camera at work so I ran out real quick and got a cell pic for ya.
    Attached Images   
    We're all insane here...

21. #121 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Wow mine is flush, I will be pulling it out real quick like!

22. #122 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    yep my pulley was much further in that yours. mine is probably 1/8" out from the end of the shaft since i pulled it out a little and when i test drove it last night the belt didn't walk so it looks like problem solved.. thanks!

23. #123 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Went with the Dodge Neon injectors. They have 4-hole instead of Jeep's single hole. Great feedback on those doing it. Manifold is next. Question, fuel pressure regulator for the 49psi came off what year? If fit your 1993 4.0 w/out issue?

Thanks
    Last edited by jeep7081; 08-12-2010 at 08:58 PM.
    '93 Jeep YJ/4.0l HO/4" RC lift & 2" body lift/Bilstein 5100's/4:10 '89 axles/2.5" Boral exhaust/k&n tube & AMSoil filter/33" Maxxis/Neon Injectors

24. #124 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post
    Question, fuel pressure regulator for the 49psi came off what year? If fit your 1993 4.0 w/out issue?
    The FPR fits just like the stock one

Hesco adjustable fuel pressure regulator for the 91-95 4.0L adjusted to the newer pressure, required of the new style injectors of 49PSI
    I have also HEARD that a fuel pressure regulator from a 93 Eagle Vision TSI w/3.5L v6, factory set for 48 PSI and member EYESIC on here said he is using it on his:so for future reference trying this is much cheaper than the FPR from Hesco, but I have not personally verified that it is spec'd out at 49 psi but would be worth the try if you have the fuel pressure gauges to make sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by EYESIC
    Don't waste money on an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator when you want 49 PSI from a '95 or older setup. I found a FPR from a 93 Eagle Vision TSI w/3.5L v6, fastory set for 48 PSI. In actuallity, it runs at 46 psi idling with vacum connected, and 54 psi idling with it disconnected. NO PINGING, zero zilch nada.
    We're all insane here...

25. #125 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    The FPR fits just like the stock one
    Great reply! Thanks for taking the time.
    '93 Jeep YJ/4.0l HO/4" RC lift & 2" body lift/Bilstein 5100's/4:10 '89 axles/2.5" Boral exhaust/k&n tube & AMSoil filter/33" Maxxis/Neon Injectors

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Thread Information