Thread: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Thanks guys....

Bottom line with a NON STROKER motor there's not alot to gain by switching out the 96's intake w/ the 99 and newer ?

Mostly a benifit for the earlier ZJ's then (or a stroked motor)?

If thats the case I'll wait a while cuz those manifold bolts are a pain in the ass
    96 ZJ 4.0 4.5 RE LongArm 8.8 Rear
    Price is soon forgotten, Quality is not

2. #52 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by JPZJ
    Bottom line with a NON STROKER motor there's not alot to gain by switching out the 96's intake w/ the 99 and newer ?
    Mostly a benifit for the earlier ZJ's then (or a stroked motor)?
    hate to say it but yeah thats pretty much it, b/c of the earlier ones updating to the newer fuel system and most people probably won't do all the extra machine work on the manifold that I did also, but if you manage to get one for cheap I'd still get it
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

3. #53 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Varkyl's Avatar
    I just finished this swap on a stock '96 motor. Along with installing a 62mm TB, new injectors and sensors. And am pleased with the results. While it doesn't have neck snapping power it did pick up nicely. Throttle response is crisp and freeway cruising is easier than ever before.
    '96 ZJ slightly modded with more in the works (5.3L HP44 and SF 14b)
    '03 WJ Limited 4.7HO - just starting the journey

4. #54 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    I have a 99 intake, fuel rail, pulley, powerstering pump w/ hoses and throttle body out of an XJ which i am about to try installing in my 91 YJ w/ a recently rebuilt 4.0 (now actually 4.1 L) that has a performance cam.

Has anyone ever tried this intake mod in a YJ?

I have noticed that the new fuel rail only has a single fuel connection whereas my old YJ fuel rail has 2...was this an issue for anyone else? Did i miss something here?

any thoughts?

RAN

5. #55 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by RanCid
    I have a 99 intake, fuel rail, pulley, powerstering pump w/ hoses and throttle body out of an XJ which i am about to try installing in my 91 YJ w/ a recently rebuilt 4.0 (now actually 4.1 L) that has a performance cam.

Has anyone ever tried this intake mod in a YJ?

I have noticed that the new fuel rail only has a single fuel connection whereas my old YJ fuel rail has 2...was this an issue for anyone else? Did i miss something here?

any thoughts?

RAN
    if yours is 91 then it won't be any different than putting this on a 91+ 4.0L head and won't matter TJYJXJZJ. just reuse your old fuel rail (I did this) not the new one. 95 and older have the 2 fuel connections.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    We're all insane here...

6. #56 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Did the swap last weekend. I was able to get the ZJ out today and I can tell a difference. Has more high end horsepower. Going up the inclines I CAN ACTUALLY ACCELERATE!!!!

I did get a check engine light, (TPS sensor and Idle sensor) but I had Vatozone clear them and it hasn't been on since.

For the $70 I paid, very worth it.
    Last edited by Matt; 06-10-2007 at 06:16 PM.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

7. #57 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    sounds good! and it is possible to find them for even cheaper than that if you look hard enough. I'm glad you could tell a difference with your "butt dyno" I too noticed a large difference at higher rpm but I did a few more things to mine too
    We're all insane here...

8. #58 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    DJJordache - Awesome Write Up .... Do you have any Idea how the Banks Header compares to the Borla ? I do not see a current listing for Banks Header for a WJ / XJ - only a YJ aka wrangler .........

http://store.bankspower.com/Categori...0-a5177c59d9ce

I am currently swapping a worn out 94 4.0 HO for a 01 w/26k miles and looking to make improvements b4 it goes back in, and I have been scouring the net looking for flow data for heads , the 94 7120 will get redone, or replaced with another 7120 casting if I can get a better deal online then the #'s I am getting quoted to get it rebuilt.
    Anyhow Thanks for any info you have ............
    Last edited by RadioPatrol; 07-27-2007 at 03:01 AM.
    No Matter Where You Go, There You Are ....
    67 Jeepster Commando
    83 Cherokee FSJ

9. #59 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    DJJordache - Awesome Write Up .... Do you have any Idea how the Banks Header compares to the Borla ? I do not see a current listing for Banks Header for a WJ / XJ - only a YJ aka wrangler .........

I am currently swapping a worn out 94 4.0 HO for a 01 w/26k miles and looking to make improvements b4 it goes back in, and I have been scouring the net looking for flow data for heads , the 94 7120 will get redone, or replaced with another 7120 casting if I can get a better deal online then the #'s I am getting quoted to get it rebuilt.
    Anyhow Thanks for any info you have ............
    Banks lists that you can put that header on up to a 01 grand. if i remember correctly the later grands have precats built into the headers and thats why they don't list for those years.
    The banks/APN one is nice b/c it will bolt up to the stock head pipe and that is convenient for most people, or you can get a custom head pipe to go after the header. The borla, since it is long tube will be better at producing more torque at lower rpms. My brother has a modified borla on his stroker, i say modified since we cut off the small collector and tweaked it to have a 3" output for the most flow.
    We're all insane here...

10. #60 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    kewl Thanks for the INFO
    67 Jeepster Commando
    83 Cherokee FSJ

11. #61 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    What did it cost you to get your head done ? ie the Big Valves ..........
    67 Jeepster Commando
    83 Cherokee FSJ

12. #62 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    honestly i don't remember exactly right now.... I did the port and polish on teh head myself but the head valve work included: LS1 valves, seats, retainers, springs, stem guide reaming and some bowl blending work. I'll have to dig around to find the paper work that I have somewhere for the price....
    We're all insane here...

13. #63 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    DJJordace - do you have a part # on those Chevy LS-1 Valves ......
    67 Jeepster Commando
    83 Cherokee FSJ

14. #64 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    DJJordace - do you have a part # on those Chevy LS-1 Valves ......
    I think so.... I gotta find the paper work, but I'm pretty sure they are just the normal SBC LS1 valves 2.02/1.60, but I'll see if I can find the numbers
    We're all insane here...

15. #65 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    I think so.... I gotta find the paper work, but I'm pretty sure they are just the normal SBC LS1 valves 2.02/1.60, but I'll see if I can find the numbers
    thanks I am looking on Ebay, and specs are different / confusing

I understand the basics, but not everyone is using the same info

11/32 stems , standard length or .100 longer ....... and then of course their is 350 SBC, LS-1 - i know and LS 1 is a hi po 350, but modernized with roller cams and a new block heads ..... Honestly I have not kept up on the new tech.

I am 41 and like the older stuff

Thanks for Your help
    Last edited by RadioPatrol; 08-17-2007 at 01:26 PM.
    67 Jeepster Commando
    83 Cherokee FSJ

16. #66 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    So, does anyone have a dyno for a stroker AND the intake manifold yet?

17. #67 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    I am getting ready to order my new exhaust manifold and figured I would do the intake swap at the same time. I have a 94, all stock engine at the moment. If I swap the intake, and power steering components, can I run the stock injectors? I am guessing that I can, and then in the future upgrade pressure and injectors. Injectors are just too expensive at the moment after doing all the other stuff. Otherwise it looks like a pretty straight forward swap. I may even modify the throttle body while i'm at it since I have a drill press and the equipment.

18. #68 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    ok so your saying that you want to swap the newer 99+ intake and the new 96+ power steering components and keep your existing injectors and existing fuel pressure regulator right? then yes that is totally do able without any problems!

Edit: I hope your not paying extra for the banks header! I have one and it's cracked bad.... I'm pulling it out and rewelding it this weekend hopefully.... get the MUCH cheaper APN header, basically the same thing but cheaper
    Last edited by DJJordache; 01-24-2008 at 10:57 AM.
    We're all insane here...

19. #69 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    i've read through this post 3 times now and i'm super stoked to get mine done... i've got a bone stock 4.0 and am ready for something to build off of!!! i think this is going to be great with my tb spacer and intake!!! just gotta get the cash now.
    RED 95 ZJ, 7.5" Rustys, custom LA, 35's, Ford 9" w/ trac lock, HP30, 4.56f&r, custom f&r bumpers, flowmaster, adjustible front tracbar, rustys steering conversion...(hate it)

Soon to Come: HP D44, sliders

20. #70 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    did you happen to find that paperwork yet? I plan on refreshing my 4.sl0 while i'm on sabbatical and wouldn't mind throwing the head at my machinist for the valve upgrade. It's gonna get a KKK-K26 turbo thrown on it and some mustang injectors with an AEM fuel controller tossed on it to manage everything. all i have to do is find a 99+ intake mani locally that the person doesn't want an arm and a leg for.
    Thanks in advance man.
    Weekend play toy: 96 ZJ 4.0L
    HP44- 4.88's and detroit locker
    Ford 9"- 4.86's and detroit locker
    Clayton's 7" long arm with high clearance axle bracket kits front and rear
    35x12.5 cooper stt's on 15x10 "rock krawler" rims with 4" bs.
    ORGS super nerfs

Daily driver:
    05 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII MR
    400hp and some eye candy

21. #71 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred_topher View Post
    i've read through this post 3 times now and i'm super stoked to get mine done... i've got a bone stock 4.0 and am ready for something to build off of!!! i think this is going to be great with my tb spacer and intake!!! just gotta get the cash now.
    It'll help out to get a fastman 62mm throttle body if you're not happy with the results. A great quick and easy mod.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

22. #72 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    i think i'm going to try to bore out the stock tb to 60mm first and see how that does....anyone got a 99+ intake they want to get rid of????
    RED 95 ZJ, 7.5" Rustys, custom LA, 35's, Ford 9" w/ trac lock, HP30, 4.56f&r, custom f&r bumpers, flowmaster, adjustible front tracbar, rustys steering conversion...(hate it)

23. #73 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    yeah sorry about that! I forgot to get the numbers for ya! I'm in Vegas right now setting up for a show but when I get home I'll get you some info!
    We're all insane here...

24. #74 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    got my apn header today and just ordered the 99 intake and got another throttlebody to bore out yesturday...once the intake gets here then i'm doing the damn thing and we'll see how it all comes out!!!

25. #75 Re: 4.0L 99+ intake manifold swap with REAL DYNO NUMBERS! 
    sounds good

And I could not find any numbers or a brand name on my valves... They are just the normal 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust LS1 valves and keepers.
    We're all insane here...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Thread Information