Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 - Page 3

Thread: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    It does quite down a bit after a few weeks, but you can still hear it clicking. I have a 5.2L and can punch it and it tweaks the whole vehicle now-can even leave posi marks on the driveway Does great off-road and makes your ZJ wayyy more capable- or capable of getting stuck worse
    The only thing I don't like about it is: It wants to push you in a strait line since both wheels are turning at the same speed and makes it a bit more difficult to control on the road. On the Highway @80 it does just fine. But it could be my crapping steering- Need to replace the setup for a Currie and get rid of my crappy CV axles. That may fix my problem up front.

2. #52 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    I am going to order one monday, but where is the best place to order it from? I am going to order 4.56 Yukon gears from PORC, but they don't carry Aussie Lockers.

3. #53 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    You can order the 44A locker directly from from Aussie at www.offroadlockers.com

4. #54 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    So I have been following this thread since it start, talk about the marathon write up / install, I may die before this is complete.

I have had my Aussie locker 4 weeks now and have not had time to read the directions let alone open it.

Anyone ever plan on a write up on the install? My GF wants to install this in a couple weeks.

Chris
    Last edited by BigDaveZJ; 02-28-2006 at 12:10 AM.

5. #55 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Admin
    I think there should be a write up in a couple weeks... I had some issues with pulling my old carrier that Pam and Dave need since theirs is shot. I got the axle in the garage finally, but as I'm sitting here with the motherload of all sinus infections, I probably won't be able to pull / send it for a couple days.

6. #56 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    I broke my damn cross pin retainer bolt today when I was installing my new Yukon shafts. I got it out pretty easily, but I had no choice but to thread the two pieces of the bolt back into the cross pin. It's a ghetto fix, but it works for now. The new shafts are supposed to be pretty damn strong. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

did you break your stock ones jim, and how much those yukon shafts set you back.
    -dave
    "And yet The Idea had more legs than your typical pot-inspired idea. It did not involve a second Twinkie inside the first one." -Rolling Stone

8. #58 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I broke my damn cross pin retainer bolt today when I was installing my new Yukon shafts. I got it out pretty easily, but I had no choice but to thread the two pieces of the bolt back into the cross pin. It's a ghetto fix, but it works for now. The new shafts are supposed to be pretty damn strong. We'll see.
    Since you got it out easy enough....you probably realize it was already broken in there. Same thing happened to my buddy's 35 when we went to install. Luckily one of our other friends had a scrap axle lying around that we could scroung the bolt from.

I can't figure out how they end up breaking though.....there's no real force on them *shrug*
    5.9 ZJ With stuff attached
    It's true that I'm old enough to have been there done that.....it doesn't make me an expert...it just gives me an educated opinion.

9. #59 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    You get that locker put in there Dave?
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

10. #60 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    You get that locker put in there Dave?
    Negative. Worked 11 hour days the last two days building out a new store, and have the wedding reception this Saturday. Busy is an understatement right now! But things should quiet down next week, so as soon as Matt ships us the open carrier we need, we should be able to get it in.

11. #61 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltron
    did you break your stock ones jim, and how much those yukon shafts set you back.
    -dave

My driver side one was etched pretty badly. It was causing some strange noise when coasting, so I decided to replace it with some heavy duty Yukons. With wheel bearings it cost me 200 bucks. I "haggled" a little bit with the guy at Randy's ring and pinion. Normally just the shafts without bearings are something like 225.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

12. #62 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Ok....I couldn't take it any longer I had to order my own

I'm not as hardcore as you guys......but I damn well have to have this in place to try to keep up with Woody @ the badlands

I'm only on 245's...we'll see how she goes.
    It's true that I'm old enough to have been there done that.....it doesn't make me an expert...it just gives me an educated opinion.

13. #63 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Regarding the Aussie Locker 3/8" tire rule, would it make a difference if one axle has two new tires that are within 3/8" of each other and the other axle had 2 old tires that are within 3/8" of each other? This will just be temporary until both axles will have all new tires.

14. #64 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Since the locker is only on the rear end, just the 2 rear tires need to be within 3/8" of each other. If you have a NP249, you may have a problem front to rear.

15. #65 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    IT'S IN!!! IT'S FREAKING IN!!!!!!

First off, huge thanks to Matt (OverkillZJ) for hooking us up with another carrier and Corey (JpRngr) for having the skills and tools to get it swapped over for us. Of course the night didn't go without incident. No major incidents with the locker though, just a freak windstorm that knocked off a huge ass part of a big ass tree in Corey's front yard!!! Somehow the tree managed to fall RIGHT IN BETWEEN Corey's Rubi and Cristi's ZJ. Very minimal damage to either rig. I know Scott has some pics, as do I, and we'll get pics of the tree up soon as well as finish the install right up.

First impressions of driving in a vehicle behind Pam's ZJ are good. A couple little bangs at the beginning, but once we put some miles on her just a mild ratcheting around corners that Pam didn't even hear from inside the ZJ with the radio on. So it looks like all is well!!!!

16. #66 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Yep.....I've got 1000 miles on mine now and you can still hear it ratcheting.....but I don't usually run the radio. It didn't seem to work perfectly at the Badlands for some reason....oh well...it gets me around until I swap in the 8.8 anyway.

17. #67 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Here's a COUPLE pics. Mainly teaser pics since my right pointer and middle finger are taped together and typing is a PITA right now.

Corey and Cristi's Tree:

Cutting the old carrier out:

All done!

18. #68 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Goddam Dave I hate your avatar. I am sure that is the intended effect though.

Shay
    95 V8 ZJ with 7 inch clayton lift, 35 Yoko's, Waggy 44 front w/arb, 8.8 rear with detroit, 231, and a few dents.

2005 Power Wagon

2000 WJ V8

19. #69 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Damn Dave...you cut it open and left it bloody

20. #70 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Admin
    Glad to see that parts of my ZJ still live on (The carrier)

21. #71 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    Glad to see that parts of my ZJ still live on (The carrier)
    Funny, Dave said you'd be happy about that when we were putting it together!

22. #72 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Dave's Nurse Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Staff
    Okay, after a week of having the locker in, here's my opinion of street driving.

I can barely tell it's there. I only hear the ratcheting when the radio is off and the window's are open. And it really isn't that loud. I only really notice it when I have no radio, open windows and I'm taking a fairly sharp turn or if I am backing up.

I have no problems taking corners. I don't get kicking or hopping. It rides very well.

So, the true test will be in less than two weeks when she hit's moab!! And I'll definately post back up afterward to let you know what I think.

And the full install write up is coming. Right now we're spending all our time on Dave's LA install.
    ~Pam -

"Pressure - it can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond - or an average person into a perfect basket case"

23. #73 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    I heard there were problems using these with the 249 case? Is that only on the front axle? Or have all you guys switched TCs to 242s or 231s?

I have a V8 with a 249, and while I plan to swap to a 242, it would seem that a rear Aussie would be a better thing to do first if it will work with the 249.
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

24. #74 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Skyline,
    We haven't had any binding issues with Pam's 249 on the street since we installed the Aussie. The torque split is different on the 96-98 249's than the 93-95 so it's possible one would experience more binding with the earlier 249's.

25. #75 Re: Aussie Locker's NEW Aluminum Dana 44 Locker! UPDATE 12/24/2005 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ
    Skyline,
    We haven't had any binding issues with Pam's 249 on the street since we installed the Aussie. The torque split is different on the 96-98 249's than the 93-95 so it's possible one would experience more binding with the earlier 249's.
    Well, mine is an '96, so it sounds OK. Thanks, Dave.
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Thread Information