Thread: ABS System Delete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: ABS System Delete 
    My problem was getting all the fittings hooked up correctly.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

2. #27 Re: ABS System Delete 
    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Deleting ABS is pretty easy. I did in my ZJ a while back. Took me maybe 2 hrs all said and done and like $10 of parts. I did have the intake and exhaust removed though, so it made it a bit easier.

I removed ABS system from a 4.0 ZJ and it too was easy... my V8 compartment is a little more packed, but removing ABS is on my list. Its been disabled for years.

AW
    Solid HP60 40 Spline 300M shafts
    Built 14B. 40 Spline 300M shafts

Quote Originally Posted by DankNesS
    MallCrawlin is like the mafia... if someone doesnt vouch for you then they just rip into you on every post

3. #28 Re: ABS System Delete 
    I'm arguing for mear amusment now...

i'm going to coil my control arms so gravel doesn't hurt them!!!!
    1993 zj 318ci. RE LA 7.5", np231, spooled 8.8, lockrite HP30, 4.88's, 37" BFG M/T's, etc.

/\..The way it will stay till the day it is gone! :sadkinda:

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    Weavsworld: i think im gonna rice out the Corolla
    Weavsworld: to be a dick
    Weavsworld: and do a writup on it, LOL
    Weavsworld: then i can ban myself...

4. #29 Re: ABS System Delete 
    trolling is not allowed..
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

5. #30 Re: ABS System Delete 
    To be honest with you, it looks like a huge pain in the ass. I think I will finish yanking the sensors and yank the bulb behind the dash. Thanks for the write up though.

6. #31 Re: ABS System Delete 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 5.9 ANDY's Avatar
    good write up, ill try this on my 98 so i can put in my air compressor for my lockers.
    proud Lance Corporal in the Unted States Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post

This website is bad for the health of your vehicles, enjoy your stay

7. #32 Re: ABS System Delete 
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinchiro View Post
    To be honest with you, it looks like a huge pain in the ass. I think I will finish yanking the sensors and yank the bulb behind the dash. Thanks for the write up though.
    I was going to go that route too, but I figure that I might as well completely remove it and do the 1 tonne upgrade.

8. #33 Re: ABS System Delete 
    Quote Originally Posted by macka View Post
    I was going to go that route too, but I figure that I might as well completely remove it and do the 1 tonne upgrade.
    That's what I'm doing.
    Anthony

9. #34 Re: ABS System Delete 
    I thought that just removing the fuse would cancel out the entire system... Im going to be putting an 8.8 in real soon and I don't plan on hooking up the ABS. So after removing the fuse, will the light always be on? I dont reall want to rip my dash apart... Im not good with fragile shit.

10. #35 Re: ABS System Delete 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    The light will stay on unless you remove it, or it burns out.

11. #36 Re: ABS System Delete 
    The fuse will disable it but removing the ABS pump gives you a little more room under the hood.
    Anthony

12. #37 Re: ABS System Delete 
    pull fuse + abs pump relay = no light
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

13. #38 Re: ABS System Delete 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Nice, there ya go.

14. #39 Re: ABS System Delete 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudz View Post

Good to know. My "new" shafts dont have tone rings and the abs light is freakin bright, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    If we blame guns for killing people, does that mean we can blame forks for making Rosie O'Donnell a fat cow??

93 ZJ 5.2 4.5" on 33's
    Yay. My shit runs now.

Jesus is coming...look busy.

15. #40 Re: ABS System Delete 
    i kinda like the light....

I get people that ask what that light is on the dash and i just tell them "It means my Awesome Braking System is working"
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

16. #41 Re: ABS System Delete 
    those coil help prevert overheating in the koonuter valve, because everyone knows that can lead to the carb belt snapping and ruining your piston return springs.

17. #42 Re: ABS System Delete 
    Quote Originally Posted by loserkid View Post
    those coil help prevert overheating in the koonuter valve, because everyone knows that can lead to the carb belt snapping and ruining your piston return springs.

are you talkin dirty?

18. #43 Re: ABS System Delete 
    Quote Originally Posted by loserkid View Post
    Its not that big of a deal...it happened to me once, I just threw in a few cans of compression and everything was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    If we blame guns for killing people, does that mean we can blame forks for making Rosie O'Donnell a fat cow??

93 ZJ 5.2 4.5" on 33's
    Yay. My shit runs now.

Jesus is coming...look busy.

19. #44 Re: ABS System Delete 
    Supporting Vendor GSSW Planner
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95 View Post

I get people that ask what that light is on the dash and i just tell them "It means my Awesome Braking System is working"
    It actually stands for "Awesome Bryant Shows" Hahahahahaha
    Barbaric Suspension & Fab

KevinsOffRoad.com

20. #45 Re: ABS System Delete 
    I always figured the light was a heads up suggesting you to alter your braking system.

21. #46 Re: ABS System Delete 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95 View Post

LMFAO!!! I swapped a SR5 gauge cluster (adds a tach, lights and other gauges) into my 87 Toy. The cluster was from a 4 runner and it has an awesome light that can be illuminated, it says "back door". It took me 30 min to install the new cluster, and about two hours to figure out what I could use (other than a switch) to illuminate the "back door" light on the cluster. "Back door" now = my swapped in electric fan is on, you love the "back door" light mod, I know you do....

22. #47 Re: ABS System Delete 

anyone know where said relay is on a 98 5.9? i know its not under the hood. is it in the fuse pannel?

23. #48 Re: ABS System Delete 
    ok, heres my experience with this:

i have a 95 4.0 that has discs front and rear from the factory. and i just swapped axles and still have rear discs.
    the problem was i couldnt get a good firm pedal feel with the brakes all hooked up. we bled them many times with no luck. well the abs doesnt/cant work with the new axles anyway. so finally i decided to just bypass it and pull the abs pump.
    i did alot of reading and thought it would be realitvely easy. but it wasnt. the abs pump had 2 inlets off the mc, and 3 outlets (one for front left, front right, and rear) all of which had different size/pitch threads, and all had bubble flares, not standard flares. i went to 2 different parts stores trying to find bubble to std. flare adapters and didnt have any luck. so i tried just getting a 't' with the 2 different size threads on them that matched the ones that came out of the abs pump, no luck. all the brake 't's and fittings at the parts stores are for standard 3/16" us thread standard flare fittings.

so..... in order for me to get all the fittings back to the 3/16 like i needed i had to re run all the brake lines, from the front to the back, and across the motor to the pass side. the driver side was short and easy.
    the reason i had to do it that way was the premade lengths of brake line at the stores had the 3/16 std. flare on both ends, none had the 3/16 (caliper end) to whatever size and thread the abs pump end had.

and i have zero experience flaring brake lines with a flare tool. so i didnt want to cut it off and put a 3/16 fitting on then flare it to std. flare. the idea of doing that with it still in the vehicle didnt appeal to me.

but i got it done, now the jeep has all new brake lines, and if i ever damage one i can easily replace them with the standard flare 3/16" pre length lines. no adapters and crazy extensions to deal with.
    In the middle of installing d44/9" on clayton's long arms: (started 2-21-09)
    http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=766227

24. #49 Re: ABS System Delete 
    I did this on an explorer.....but it should also be applicable to a Grand (I haven't taken a real close look yet). If you take the ABS pump out you'll have an unused pump relay.....or if you want to go the easy way and pull the relay you can just cut two wires and rewire it for another use. I'm not a big fan of a clucker-fawk of wires and shit mounted everywhere so with a few wire cuts and spices I was able to have the relay for my lights in the factory fuse/relay box. It works nice because at least on the ford, there was a nice beefy power wire already feeding the relay. All you need to do is hook your switch wire to the relay, and change where the power output wire goes. I know on the ford there were 2 relays I could have done this too....if you have a Grand with a security system that you don't care about theres a box under the glovebox with a few relays in there that can be re-used. Just a thought for some of you guys!
    lifes tough, get a helmet

25. #50 Re: ABS System Delete 
    OhioZJ,

A big problem with the ABS system is that if air gets into the abs pump or valving it needs to be bleed to get it to work right. So if you take a long time to swap axles and the master cylinder runs dry its a nightmare to bleed.

In my case on my '93 you need and scan tool(not a cheapie either) to put the pump into bleed mode. Before it will do that it does a self diagnostic and checks all the sensors. So I had to hook back up all the sensors and then use the scanner to get the pump to purge itself of the air and then you can bleed the system. I'm guessing this is the problem you ran into on your '95. Without a scanner you couldn't properly bleed the abs system.

When I get the chance I'll be gutting my ABS as well.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thread Information