Thread: Odd Camber Problem

1. #1 Odd Camber Problem 
    Here's what's happening. On a flat surface if I drive forward aobut 20 feet I have fairly severe negative camber. If I back up that same 20 feet I now have fairly severe positive camber. After thoroughly checking for broken/worn out parts and replacing the ball joints and hubs, I still have the same problem. Any thoughts?

This is an XJ HP D30 using ZJ outer knuckles, stock steering setup, 4" lift, homemade adjustable TB and lowering bracket, 33" TSL's.

Have you inspected your control arm bushings?

That's what it sounds like to me. Unbolt them and inspect. They may look fine bolted in place, but you'll know for sure when you pull them.

Pretty much everything in the front steering and suspension is new. All control arm bushings, all TRE's, trackbar has new heim on body side and new poly bushing on axle side.

Here's my dilema. If something like control arm bushings were bad the axle might rotate. It's not. I know that the axle is staying in place relative to the body. It's only the camber that's changing. If I drive forward it will roll to it's position and stay that way until I put it in reverse and roll backward. I've even rolled under the front end and can see the tires moving but can't see anything else acting weird.

The only thing I can thik of at this point is that there is some issue with using my 96 ZJ outer knuckles that do not have the lower balljoint adjustment bolt on an 88 XJ axle that cam e with outers with the adjustment.

Just saw your other post in the drivetrain section. It does sound possible that it's your balljoints

If you have the factory hub units check them. Sometimes the ball joints aren't bad but instead the bearings in the single unit hub are. Check them as you would for bad balljoints by jacking the front end up, grabbing the wheels at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and push/pulling in opposite directions for play.

Hubs are new plus I checked them using a prybar for leverage and there is no movement of the wheel at all.

You still have the original ball joints? I know its not the easiest job, but if they're in pretty good shape, it might not hurt to swap them back in just to give it a try. If they're really worn out, I might have an old set from a ~90's model XJ if you think they would work. They're sitting at one of my buddy's shops.

I'll need to verify the year / model, but let me know.

JH

Nope ball joints are new.

Thread Information