Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Powertrain... Dropping a 5.9 in the ZJ OH YEAH - Page 3

Thread: Powertrain... Dropping a 5.9 in the ZJ OH YEAH

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    lookin good jerod! a cammed 5.9 is going to be SWEET

The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Very nice, this is going to be WICKED when your done.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

what cam did you go with?

Comp Cam 262... sounds killer.

One prob arose.... BRAND NEW thermostat did not open, and I didnt let it over heat but the Rad BURST anyway... Ill have a new Rad tonight and new T stat and should be all done...

I did drive it and I gotta say... its just RIPS.

AW

Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    i'm jeliouse.

now get it ready for GSW
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

im jealous too. ive still got a stock station wagon with a 185,000 mile 5.2

id really like to see a video of this when your done 5.9

There is some video... on a camera phone... waiting for that to get to me yet.

I installed a New Napa Tstat (stainless) and new Radiator. Runs perfect, although Im still taking to a shop to get it fine tuned, ie Timing.

Here are the rest of the pics...

All the goodies painted...

Checking for leaks, keeping a fan on it while its running, It was a HOT sunday.

Some bling bling on the oil pan...

5.9 Badge... which is now on the rear hatch.

Done.

Thanks for reading all my crap.
    AW

Lost link...

sorry.

Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    looking good. i bet i know from whom you got that amsoil.

The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma297
    looking good. i bet i know from whom you got that amsoil.

Yea baby
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

damn... looking good. It all looks way too familiar (with the exception of the cams, etc). I just got done doing the 5.9 swap into my 94. Glad to hear it started up first try. I only have a factory 5.9, nothing special, and I love the amount of torque I have... I cant imagine what it would be like with better cams, etc.
    Congratulations.

Kenny

still got the pImP grill on that thing?

what kinda front axle you running now?? looks like a hp44 or somethin?? might just be a wierd diff cover though

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaZJ
    still got the pImP grill on that thing?

what kinda front axle you running now?? looks like a hp44 or somethin?? might just be a wierd diff cover though
    8.8 rear... and 30 front, w/home brew rock ring... Im still babying that thing. Saving for a Rock Crusher.

Sweet.

Looks awesome!!!!

I have a couple of questions:
    Did you get the 5.9 from a 5.9 Grand or just a Ram truck?

Did you have to do anything special with the balancer? I heard the 5.2 is different than the 5.9 in that respect.

Any other problems you ran into?

Very good job!

Jerod!

Kicks ass!!!!

Gui

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter TrojanMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AprilzWarrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan
    your 5.2 valve locks should have worked. the 4.0 and the 5.9 valve locks are even the same.

Im going from a 5.2 to a 5.9.

BUT there is no way in hell that the 5.2 lock will work. Reason being that Im running the mopar performance springs which are larger than stock, so I needed larger retainers. Hence needing larger locks... I tried the stock ones and they slip right through the retainers.

AW
    That's strange... I'm using 5.9 performance springs too, with the larger retainers... maybe my 4.0 locks are superior
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    This thread proves that wheeling is better than the internet.
    Weavsworld: i dont know shit about MC, i just make it work

your 5.2 valve locks should have worked. the 4.0 and the 5.9 valve locks are even the same.

Im going from a 5.2 to a 5.9.

BUT there is no way in hell that the 5.2 lock will work. Reason being that Im running the mopar performance springs which are larger than stock, so I needed larger retainers. Hence needing larger locks... I tried the stock ones and they slip right through the retainers.

AW
    That's strange... I'm using 5.9 performance springs too, with the larger retainers... maybe my 4.0 locks are superior

Um not... keep reading... Summit sent the wrong retainers (Comp Cams), thats why they slipped through... NOW that I have the MOPAR retainers, all is good.

Livin La Vida 5.9

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsrus
    Looks awesome!!!!

Did you have to do anything special with the balancer? I heard the 5.2 is different than the 5.9 in that respect.

Very good job!

Good question... The Harmonic Balancer came with the 5.9 motor... use it only, the pulleys from the 5.2 were a direct swap. Also, the Flex Plate must be used from the 5.9 since the 5.9s are externally balanced.

I scored the motor from a 2000 Durango with 40K on it. Its almost all the same as any 5.2/5.9 ZJ. Exceptions are Obvious (EGR on some years) Oil pump has a longer pick up tube than the Jeeps and oil pan has a bulge at the front and thin in the center to clear the IFS Dodge front ends. SO swaping oil pump/pan is a must. The accesory brackets are the Exact same mounting, as well as timing cover etc. I used the 5.9 Distributor only cuz it was covered in oil like my 5.2 version, other wise the same exact part.

As for harness' the ZJ sensors did not match the sensors on the Durango. ie Crank Position sensor (I think) had 2 wires, where dodge has 3. But thats how many of the sensors were, including the Oil Pressure Sending unit, and Temp sending unit.

Its a pretty easy swap for a 5.2 to 5.9 but otherwise I imagine it being a BEAR going from anything else.

AW

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsrus
    Looks awesome!!!!

Very good job!

Good question... The Harmonic Balancer came with the 5.9 motor... use it only, the pulleys from the 5.2 were a direct swap. Also, the Flex Plate must be used from the 5.9 since the 5.9s are externally balanced.

I scored the motor from a 2000 Durango with 40K on it. Its almost all the same as any 5.2/5.9 ZJ. Exceptions are Obvious (EGR on some years) Oil pump has a longer pick up tube than the Jeeps and oil pan has a bulge at the front and thin in the center to clear the IFS Dodge front ends. SO swaping oil pump/pan is a must. The accesory brackets are the Exact same mounting, as well as timing cover etc. I used the 5.9 Distributor only cuz it was covered in oil like my 5.2 version, other wise the same exact part.

As for harness' the ZJ sensors did not match the sensors on the Durango. ie Crank Position sensor (I think) had 2 wires, where dodge has 3. But thats how many of the sensors were, including the Oil Pressure Sending unit, and Temp sending unit.

Its a pretty easy swap for a 5.2 to 5.9 but otherwise I imagine it being a BEAR going from anything else.

AW

So how did you connect it to the harness? Splice the wires in? Splice in the correct connectors? What year is your Jeep, and what year engine did you get? I think there was a change in connectors between 96 and 98. I had to swap a few things when I put a 98 5.2 in my 96 ZJ. It was easy to transfer almost everything over.. most of the stuff that didn't work was on the throttle body and whatnot.
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

I scored the motor from a 2000 Durango with 40K on it.
    AW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    So how did you connect it to the harness? Splice the wires in? Splice in the correct connectors? What year is your Jeep, and what year engine did you get? I think there was a change in connectors between 96 and 98. I had to swap a few things when I put a 98 5.2 in my 96 ZJ. It was easy to transfer almost everything over.. most of the stuff that didn't work was on the throttle body and whatnot.

Connect the harness ? I used my Existing Sensors, rather than the ones on the 5.9 already. My ZJ is a 95 OBD 1

I tried to keep it simple for me in the future as well... by doing it this way. So ALL the sensors are stock 95 5.2. No bigge.

the 5.9l sensors are faster

Maybe a dumb question but mine has the EGR port. Did you just block off yours? Will it still pass emissions?

I see you beefed up your tranny as well. How about your T-case? Or do you already have a 231?

Also, I wonder if the tranny behind that Durango 360 would swap right into our jeeps???

Cool, thanks for answering all my questions.
    I have been wanting to do this to mine for about 3 years. My 93 is beat.

Ok... here we go...

I did state all about the EGR stuff... BUT I used my EGR Kegger from my 1995 V8 5.2ltr.

I still have the 5.9 intake without EGR in my shop w/TB.

I have an APS Tranz, bulletproof.

Behind that is a 5 or 6plantary (I forget which now)

The Dodge tranz are Driver Starter... good luck fitting the exhaust with that setup. Jeeps are passenger starter.

Im actually glad this helps someone.

AW

I scored the motor from a 2000 Durango with 40K on it.
    AW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311

Connect the harness ? I used my Existing Sensors, rather than the ones on the 5.9 already. My ZJ is a 95 OBD 1

I tried to keep it simple for me in the future as well... by doing it this way. So ALL the sensors are stock 95 5.2. No bigge.
    Ah... I wasn't aware all the sensors would simply go right into place. Looks like the 5.2 and 5.9 are virtually identical motors then. I ended up doing the same fucking thing on the 5.2 that I swapped in. Fuck.. I might as well have put in a 5.9 if I'd know it would have been this easy.
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thread Information