Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Rebuilding BadZJ - Page 2

Thread: Rebuilding BadZJ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I thought this ramp was for exhaust work.
    My point is this and I'll leave it at that. Wheeling Crackerneck this weekend, I didn't even realize the joint was blown until it was on the trailer. It's not a crisis. I haven't even greased my joints in ohh prolly 6 months. There are better kits than RK for sure. Claytons for one. Their joints are 11ty times better than the original ones. If you wanna rag on RK, rag on the lack of sub frame, or the fact that it uses the stock rear upper control arm mounts. That stuff sucks. The actually RK equipment is tough as fuck.

BTW, I keep throwing crackersneck out there because he mentioned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody
    Make it, Break it, Roll it.
    Cody
    Not necessarily in that order.
    All of which ends in a Beer celebration or Beer Grieving.

a little update on the build...

pro comp finally sent me the correct length shocks i ordered back in december. i installed them along with the jks shock mount conversions and the jeep rides like its brand new now. the old shocks were beat to death but even tho they are the lower end es3000 shocks they ride so well compaired to the previous shocks. the front shocks i ordered have 1inch more travel than the rock krawler shocks and the rear shocks are about 6 inches over the rock krawlers and they made a huge diffrence in flex. i'll have pics up soon of the shock set up and some 2 wheel drive flex pics.

i have also started to prep the axles for the build by tearing them down, cleaning them and will torch off the braketry sometime within the end of the week. i will start ordering part for the build this weekend also.

also a quick opinion question the gear choices i am split between for the axles are either 4.88s or 5.13s. the things to consider will be that it will be driven everyday and i will be running 37x14 iroks but for now my 36x12.5 tsls. the 4.56s i have in it now are perfect for the 36s but will 5.13s effect the highway speeds/mileage? thanks for the input

Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    5.13 leaves your pinion extremly small. in a already week axle 5.13's would be death in the front of a 5500 LB ZJ. i run 4.5's with 38's and it isn't THAT bad (with the 4.0) i woudl go 4.88
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

so im finally getting much closer to starting the build. (sorry for no pics of the new shocks yet, havent gotten around to it with working all the time so there prolly wont be any pics till i start building). so tonight i just placed the order on

d44 - detroit, 4.88 gears, install kit, warn premium hubs
    d60- detroit, 4.88 gears, install kit
    kevinsoffroad.com - steering box brace
    and finally the partsmikeparets.com 1-ton TRE kit

cost me a shit load of $$$ and i still have to get the disk brake conversion for the d60, rims, have driveshafts made, metal for rock rails, cross member and steering, and im ging to have a custom metal shop make frame sleeves out of either 3/16 or 1/4 inch steel (cant decide).

basically this post means im getting closer and closer to ending my freakin life knowing how much $ im spending on something that will have hardly any resale value at all!!!!! cant wait to finish it and wheel the fuck out of it.

ok so i have an opinion question i need to be answered.... when i do my subframe should i bolt it to the uniframe of the jeep or weld it to the frame? whats the stronger option? if i weld it i would weld around the edge of the subframe to the uniframe and plug weld it to the uniframe.

weld

Staff
    i bolted and welded. Some people bolt and plug weld. either way if you don't knwo how to weld thin metal to thivk metal then just bolt it wil like 8 bolts, and try to use your t-case x-member bolts. If you can weld the plug welded woudl probably be ok if you welded at the ends.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer

so i finally got some of the parts for the jeep and got aroun to working on it a little bit...

this is how the jeep sits in my driveway

the rear dana 44 i pulled from the zj that is for sale

now for all the good stuff.... this is the 4"x4" that is 1/4" thick that i will use for the subframe...

these are the 12' long 2"x2" 3/16" thick tubing i will be using for rock rails

the rear axle cradle

new rear upper arms

4.88 gears and install kits

dana 44 and dana 60 detroit comparison

and finally the 1 ton tres

we have started to prep the axles for the zj bracketry and install of gears i will have pics up soon

Hope your stock bottle jack doesn't fail.
    "If I had it my way, I'd have every girl sent to North Carolina to learn to talk and smile with that southern accent that drives me wild." -- Hank Williams

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BMRisko
    lol, I think that's just there to keep it from teetering backwards, with all the engine weight up front and whatnot, I bet it'd be safe without it.

But it's not how I'd do it

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BMRisko
    lol, I think that's just there to keep it from teetering backwards, with all the engine weight up front and whatnot, I bet it'd be safe without it.

But it's not how I'd do it
    He could atleast get some real jackstands instead of the POS small ones all the way extended. I have bent 2 of those already...I would hate to see your heep fall on you man.
    "If I had it my way, I'd have every girl sent to North Carolina to learn to talk and smile with that southern accent that drives me wild." -- Hank Williams

if you would like to give me the $ to pay for them i might buy them but probably not since i have no $ left for the build and no $ saved for college now. i mean i dont want it to fall so i guess all i can do is hope it doesnt.

Sweet truss/cradle

the jeep is now hovering in my driveway...

God, I'd have a huge problem crawling underneath something like that.

But then again, I'm a purdy huge pussy.
    Poetry in commotion.

if you would like to give me the $ to pay for them i might buy them but probably not since i have no $ left for the build and no $ saved for college now. i mean i dont want it to fall so i guess all i can do is hope it doesnt
    Jesus!!! You won't have any $$ or a project if you f-in die b/c you didn't spend $50 on some decent jack stands!!! F-in moron!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsrus
    if you would like to give me the $ to pay for them i might buy them but probably not since i have no $ left for the build and no $ saved for college now. i mean i dont want it to fall so i guess all i can do is hope it doesnt
    Jesus!!! You won't have any $$ or a project if you f-in die b/c you didn't spend $50 on some decent jack stands!!! F-in moron!!!
    true story. you better buy some roids cause you migth need to bench press that ting.
    "i hate to shatter your ego but this isn't the first time i've had a gun pointed at me."~Miles

Staff
    i hate to say it but......

if you read the first few pages we have told him over and over abotu what to do and what not to do. he doesnt' listen. so i woudl suggest stop wasting your time and enjoy the buildup. this thread is full of crapp posts about. i would rather start frm the beginning and watch/read a buildup with mistakes then one with 3 tech posts and 30 making fun of the guy.

there you have it.....

kettle.......have you met pot....he's black.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING

Staff
    EDIT......HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!

dude space those jack stands out...........i'm nto even joking that is sooo unsafe. wait till you start having to bolt stuff up and your reefin on a wrench. i'm scared for your life and i dont' even know you. who cares abotu buying new jack stands just put them in the right spot. i'm scared for the day your mom logs in to tell us that your dead. cause you were bolting up UCA and the jeep toppled on you.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING

OMG, UT students really are fricken retards. Dude, look at those pics of your own Jeep. How can you possibly think thats safe? Your parents may be idiots also for even allowing that to take place in their driveway. Get a clue before you get crushed by your heep. I have heard of it happening before and its probably not a fun way to die.

-Shitty jackstands
    -Fully extended shitty jackstands
    -Poor placement with no fail-safe implementations

= FUCKING MORON

Kraqa,
    we won't have a build up if it falls on him....

Oh, well...Maybe he has moved the stands by now.
    I really want to see his buildup!!!!!!

dont worry im not going to die. i was just excited to get everything pulled from under the jeep i took a pic. i spread the jacks out and added a hi lift to support the front and a 5 ton bottle jack to the rear, i know its not that great but itll hold.

i am in the middle of my axle buil right now and if anyone can help me figure out a way to mount my front drivers side coil bucket and control arm bracket that would be awesome because i cant figure out how im going to mount it because the cast of the pumkin is in the way and i know welding to the cast will not be strong enough so any help/pics on this is very useful.

Staff
    EPIC POLYMER RACING

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thread Information