Thread: Let's talk about Plasma Cutters

1. #1 Let's talk about Plasma Cutters 
    Ok... so what's a good brand, and what would be the minimal amperage that would be practical? Any other features that would make one better than another?

I can tell you from experience, stay away from the 110V ones. They just don't have enough cutting power to do anything but piss you off! I would look at what the max you think you could ever need, and get one size larger! I am thinking about either a Miller or Thermal Dynamics(they are the ones who invented P-Cutters).

Corey

There's one on HF going for like 500 bucks... claims to cut like 3/8" or 1/2" or something. There's a thread about it on POR in shop talk.

I used one last weekend, TD Cutmaster 38. We were running in on 120v and it cut threw the 3/16" plate I had with no problem at all. Can also wire it for 240v though. I'm thinking maybe the Lincoln 25 as well.

Interesting on the water in the lines thing. My compressor is pretty dry actually. I have a seperator that's used for painting and I've never had anything more than 2-3 drops in it.

Ok...

Between the Lincoln Pro Cut 25 and the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38, what would be the best choice?

The Lincoln is about $950 and weighs 30 lbs. The Thermal Dynamics is about $1050 and weighs 60lbs. Both are rated to cut the same thickness material according the factory literature.

So what's in the TD that makes it twice as heavy? I am getting either one shipped to here, so weight is kinda a concern. Plus lugging 60lbs around the garage is kinda a PITA compared to 30lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Ok...

Between the Lincoln Pro Cut 25 and the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38, what would be the best choice?

The Lincoln is about $950 and weighs 30 lbs. The Thermal Dynamics is about $1050 and weighs 60lbs. Both are rated to cut the same thickness material according the factory literature.

So what's in the TD that makes it twice as heavy? I am getting either one shipped to here, so weight is kinda a concern. Plus lugging 60lbs around the garage is kinda a PITA compared to 30lbs.
    the weight and price difference are probably in the transformers in the unit. heavier is pretty much always better how do the duty cycle's compare?
    98ZJ

I believe they are both 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    I believe they are both 30%.
    wierd.. Go with the Lincoln... red boxes are cool

Thread Information