Thread: 4-link suspension for the masses (RockKrawler Revisited)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by RufftyTuffty
    Hands up everyone who's ripped a RK bracket off the frame.... :?:

~Mike
    Me! and almost 100% street use...course a tweaked 5.9 on 35" with my wife racing vipers light to light is probably a tad hard on the rear mounts :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Pearce
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearce
    There is no reason at all to have heims at both ends of the LCA. That alone is terrible. How hard would it have been to put a rubber XJ bushing at the axle end. I sure hope a jamb nut doesnt come loose and the arm start rotating......
    I've seen that happen on the trail to a homebrew style like that. It didnt last very long.
    Just my opinion though.
    Can you tell me why it is so bad to use heims on both end's of the CA's? Besides a harsher ride. All of my shit is 1.25 heims for all 8 of my CA's. I have seen a ton of people set up this way on pirate..

I didnt say it was so bad. I gave a reason why in my post as well. Now lets look at this another way. How many people are buying the RK kit for like a buggy ZJ or for mostly wheeling. And how many people are going to buy it and drive on the street with it 90% of the time. It would not have been that hard to do rubber, it would have cost less, and you dont gain anthing extra with a heim on both sides. Not to mention that just seems weak given the current braket set-up of a ZJ axle.
    Like I said, just my opinion. I think there is nothing wrong with your set up. But you made it yourself. Not a company trying to sell to the masses.

i apologize, i may have read it a little out of context. i see where yopu are coming from.

Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    there is a front axle from a ZJ sitting on the floor of a local shop. The entire drivers side bracket assembly--spring pad and all--ripped off the axle. Why would they not use the factory UCA mounts that are cast into the housing? Is that the old design or the new? or both?

Yeah, RK sucks. It seemed like they were trying to make good on things but it doesn't look like they have really improved much.

Cody

Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    they get a A for effort but rhe whole design sucks ass. using the sopck controll arm brakets and still the RK rod ends. there crap i'v herd nothign but shit about them a few guys blowing that shit on the street. and the 4 link rear end with the upper arms the brakets dont' even leave the rear reod ends in the direction of the arms. there already flex'ed at rest. anyways drun kpost i'm hammered.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

Clayton's kit uses the stock LCA brackets as well. However, he offers an axle bracket kit if you are swapping kits. Someone point out a kit to me that includes new LCA axle brackets for someone keeping a stock axle. Who gives a fuck if they use the stock brackets. What bolt on lift kit doesn't??? If the concern is that big, just weld a piece of plate between the stock brackets or some triangular gussets to the axle to reinforce it.
    "If I had it my way, I'd have every girl sent to North Carolina to learn to talk and smile with that southern accent that drives me wild." -- Hank Williams

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Ya, using the stock brackets is the least of my concerns (with the exception of 4 linked uppers, I think that's just ghetto...)

I know this is an old post, but i just saw it.

there is a front axle from a ZJ sitting on the floor of a local shop. The entire drivers side bracket assembly--spring pad and all--ripped off the axle. Why would they not use the factory UCA mounts that are cast into the housing? Is that the old design or the new? or both?

Yeah, RK sucks. It seemed like they were trying to make good on things but it doesn't look like they have really improved much.

Cody
    I'm pretty sure Cody saw this at the local shop i took my axle too.....This is my axle!! yeah, that was a great design....wish I had pics. Broke on the freeway doin 80+ MPH....SCARY.....It's much better now though.....

claytons > *.*

/thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information