Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Project "MONEY PIT" - Page 6

Thread: Project "MONEY PIT"

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    So Jim,

Where you able to get your pan installed before you headed up to Alaska?
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cue-Ball
    So Jim,

Where you able to get your pan installed before you headed up to Alaska?

nope... it was raining most of the day and then I got to busy packing. I should be home sooner than I thought, so I'll have a few extra days near the end of next week to get it done... as long as the weather holds out here in Alaska and back home.

Right now its like 68 here in Alaska , I should have brought some shorts

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Yeah, that's why I don't "waste" my money on bling bling oil. Its nice and all, but too expensive for me. I change the T Case, trannd and diff oils at least 2-3 times a year. I had checked into Amsoil, they carry it at the gas station on base. $7 a quart for ATF and gear oil.
    I wouldn't trade my Amsoil for the world.

Hey Dirk, it's rare you can get a cork trans gasket to seal once it's had fluid leak past it. I'd say get a fresh gasket, gently flatten the pan sealing surface with a hammer and you should be good.
    Slate 5.9...some stuff...more to come

Quote Originally Posted by DND
    Hey Dirk, it's rare you can get a cork trans gasket to seal once it's had fluid leak past it. I'd say get a fresh gasket, gently flatten the pan sealing surface with a hammer and you should be good.
    he's using the mopar rubber one.

Staff
    Jim,

You beat me to it I was going to post the same thing, before the site went down.

Anyway, I am using the Mopar rubber gasket. I will be out of town in LA this coming weekend on a side job for my mother-in-law so maybe the weekend after that I can drop the pan and see what I can figure out.

Lube it or Loose it!

Quote Originally Posted by norcaljr
    Quote Originally Posted by DND
    he's using the mopar rubber one.
    Oops, my bad.

Dirk, this is on your new cast Mopar pan right? Did you ever achieve a good seal? Might want to check the pan surface for flatness. Just a thought.
    Slate 5.9...some stuff...more to come

Staff
    Correct it is on the new cast pan. In the next couple of weeks I will drop the pan to see what's up.

Lube it or Loose it!

Staff
    Okay so I noticed that the tranny was leaking more and more while I was down in LA. So after driving 6 hours home Sunday, I decided to drop the pan and see what the hell was going on.

And like I figured everything looked right. I checked to be sure the pan was flat and that the bolt holes were not protruding past the face of the flange, nothing everything looked good to me.

So I break out the "right stuff" and lay on a good bead all the way around and around all the bolt holes, I give it a minute or two to set up and slap it back on. Stripped out 2 more holes in the process so Heli-coiled them and everything looked good. Poured back in the ATF and took her for a spin. All looked good until I drove to work this morning. Looks like it is leaking a tiny bit, not sure but I am hoping that it is just some of the resudual stuff that was on the underside of the vehicle as I did not have any stuff to clean it up that well at the house.

If not, well then it will just leak a little until I get to AW's shop to do my axle swap and long arms, at that time we will pull it all apart and really see what the hell's going on.

Lube it or Loose it!

Okay so I noticed that the tranny was leaking more and more while I was down in LA. So after driving 6 hours home Sunday, I decided to drop the pan and see what the hell was going on.

And like I figured everything looked right. I checked to be sure the pan was flat and that the bolt holes were not protruding past the face of the flange, nothing everything looked good to me.

So I break out the "right stuff" and lay on a good bead all the way around and around all the bolt holes, I give it a minute or two to set up and slap it back on. Stripped out 2 more holes in the process so Heli-coiled them and everything looked good. Poured back in the ATF and took her for a spin. All looked good until I drove to work this morning. Looks like it is leaking a tiny bit, not sure but I am hoping that it is just some of the resudual stuff that was on the underside of the vehicle as I did not have any stuff to clean it up that well at the house.

If not, well then it will just leak a little until I get to AW's shop to do my axle swap and long arms, at that time we will pull it all apart and really see what the hell's going on.

damn... that sucks....

Staff
    Yea tell me about it. I am hoping that is is just some of the left over stuff as it does not look like alot, but with my luck it will be something elsse I am sure.

Have you had a chance to do yours yet?

Lube it or Loose it!

no, it was raining the weekend i left.... and had too much to do.... if I get home thursday, then i'll try to do it friday.

Staff
    Okay guys, I know you all thought I was full of shit with as long as it is taking for me to get this project from the parts collecting stage to the install phase, well tomorrow the Clayton subframe gets welded in, and the HP30 gets dropped off for the gear install.

I will have pics of the subframe work tomorrow night or Monday.

I can not believe this project is finally about to move off center and will soon be a reality.

Lube it or Loose it!

Staff
    Okay guys, got the sub frame all welded in on Sunday. Here are a few pix:

The cross member I got was for a pre-95 so AW had to modify it to work

You can check out all the pix at my fototime site.

Lube it or Loose it!

Staff
    Just a quick update, I got the exhaust work done over the weekend. We moved the CAT forward (also discovered it is a Car Sounds high flow cat ) and installed the used Flowmaster 40 I picked up a while ago for basically nothing. It all tucks up pretty close to the floor so it will be pretty easy to build a skid plate once the long arms are done, and everything is forward of the rear control arm mounts so there should be no fitment issues.

No I need to concentrate on tracking down and repairing the tranny leak, turns out it was not the pan at all. Looks like it is between the front half and rear half of the tranny on the rear side.

Anyone know if there is a gasket or seal of some kind between the 2 halves of the tranny? Or is that even making sense?

Lube it or Loose it!

Staff
    Okay I broke down and took the Jeep to the local tranny shop the other day and he is not sure why it is leaking (I only did a quick drive by to have him peak at it). In talking with him and Wayne at APS it seems like the leak is between the tranny and the extension housing the holds the over drive unit. The local shop wants like $4-500 to test it out to determine exactly where the leak is and then repair it. Wayne from APS says for $100 if I bring him the tranny (out of the Jeep) he will go throught the entire thing and give it a quick "tune up" and determine and repainr the leak.

So I am planning to drop the tranny at AW's shop the first part of July and get it down to Wayne and get it resolved once and for all.

The catch is, the expense is eating into my long arm/axle swap budget. Oh well that seems to be the story of my lfe on this project.

So all I can say is PLEASE buy some AMSOIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on help a brother out!!!!!

Lube it or Loose it!

Staff
    Quick update.

Timing is not working out well with my tranny, AW, and APS, soo I am going to end up taking it to the local shop one day this week (hopefully) to get it repaired, just feel like a dick head leaving a puddle everywhere I park.

I also noticed on the way home from work yesterday that it appears that my catalytic converter took a dump yesterday, ship is rattling around inside like a big dog, so I will be calling Scott at Minute Muffler on Monday to see if he can get me a new Car Sounds cat and what his schedule looks like.

Luckily the 35" tire deal I had cooking sorta mutually fell through, the guy decided he wanted to keep them and I decided I needed to fix shit before buying new shit. So it is working out. I am just pissed that all this crap has to happen all at the same time, I was getting so close to completing this shit.

Lube it or Loose it!

Luckily the 35" tire deal I had cooking sorta mutually fell through, the guy decided he wanted to keep them and I decided I needed to fix shit before buying new shit. So it is working out. I am just pissed that all this crap has to happen all at the same time, I was getting so close to completing this shit.
    Speaking of that guy... you should see Lawrence's Atlas... it's THUGGIN sick

Staff
    Yea I am going to try and swing by AW's shop next weekend to check it out on my way home from LA again.

I just sold my 242 so I will either go Atlas or maybe Stak4x4, who knows, I need to get my shit fixed first then I will figure out what parts to use to build it.

So come on guys who needs some oil or tranny fluid???

Lube it or Loose it!

Yea I am going to try and swing by AW's shop next weekend to check it out on my way home from LA again.

I just sold my 242 so I will either go Atlas or maybe Stak4x4, who knows, I need to get my shit fixed first then I will figure out what parts to use to build it.

So come on guys who needs some oil or tranny fluid???

STaKs not coming out till august last I heard... However when I have that kind of money, I will for sure be getting one

AW, NorCalJR and I are heading up to the con next weekend... but Jerod (and probably me as well) will be at the shop the following weekend

Staff
    I won't be doing a TC for atleast several months if not years at the rate I am going.

I forgot about your trip to the Con, maybe I will meet up with you guys the following weekend then.

Lube it or Loose it!

Staff
    Just a quick update.

I am still moving forward on this project it is just moving at a snails pace it seems.

The Jeep goes to the local tranny shop on Weds, to finally get the leak taken care of.

I worked out another deal with a different seller for some 35x12.5x15 GoodYear MTR's (set of 5) that a buddy of mine is picking up for me early next week in Sac. Got a sweet deal.

So once I find out what the damage to the checking account the tranny is going to cause will determine what the next piece is I get.

I will keep you all posted (assuming of course anyone is actually reading this thread any longer).

So who wants to buy some Amsoil and help me get my shit finished??

Lube it or Loose it!

Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar

I will keep you all posted (assuming of course anyone is actually reading this thread any longer).

So who wants to buy some Amsoil and help me get my shit finished??
    we're still reading, I don't know of many people that actually finish their projects as soon as they'd like. However I am beating you, my gears are being set up for my HP30 as we speak.

Staff
    Yea Puma,

I am getting closer and closer.

The tires were the last high dollar item.
    Right now it is looking like end of August time frame (I hope)

Lube it or Loose it!

Staff
    ***********MAJOR SET BACK**********

Got the Jeep back from the tranny shop and well it is not good news. When I was installing one of the heli-coils earlier I drilled to deep and drilled into the OD housing JUST far enough to put a small hole in it. Took them a while to find it actually.

So a new tranny is on the menu now.

I am talking with Wayne over at APS about building a custom one for me, I mean if I'm going to spend $3k+ I might as well have something to show for it, why replace with just stock after all.

So now I really need to sell some Amsoil!!!!!!!!!!!

Lube it or Loose it!

Thread Information