Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Project "MONEY PIT" - Page 2

Thread: Project "MONEY PIT"

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Just a quick update to say I just ordered my 7" RK srings this morning.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

You too Dirk? I just got off the phone with Adam at Clayton's. I ordered a 4-link kit, 8.8 high clearance mounts, and RK 7" springs. As much as I like the new Rock Crawler kit, I had a 25% off coupon for Clayton's.

How's your timeline progressing?

Dave
    Slate 5.9...some stuff...more to come

Staff
    Oh that's too funny :lol:

I am moving ahead slowly but surely. In all reality I just hope I can finish by Christmas. With a wife and 2 kids Jeep money is sometimes tough to get.

I am going to stick with the Rock Control kit, he is local so I will save on shipping from Clayton and Ty is going to help Jerod with the install incase anything goes strange, so I really can't beat the deal.

I think I am going to have him build it with a 3-link up front, I like to be different than the rest of the crowd.

Lube it or Loose it!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Lookin' good!

Nice clean install, and I DEFINATELY like tha tmore than the painless kit... That's pretty much the same exact thing the diagram I never finished would've done, but much cleaner with the pre made plugs to the switch and all. I think it was worth the money.

Staff
    Thanks, I m VERY pleased with the way it turned out. Truth is I could not be happier with it.

Lube it or Loose it!

Lookin Good!

I like the dual battery setup. Should be more than enough to feed the winch.
    I break stuff.

Staff
    Well I got my gauge pod installed a few weekends ago. Here are a couple of quick pix.

I also just scored a KILLER SWEET deal on a Tera knuckle brand new!!!!!!!!!

Found it on ebay should have it next week. Means I will have to get a different TRE and not use the one with the drag link hole in it but I am sure one of you guys could use it as a spare.

Even before I saw the knuckle on ebay I had a good deal worked out with James over at jeepersandcreepers.com for just $240 shipped so if anyone is looking check James out.

SO what do I have left to get for my Heep? The long arms themselves, upper/lower ball joints, get gears installed in HP30, pick up DOM for steering, and of course the tires. I will also need to have some driveline work done but I will wait until everything is in so i can get some good measurements, I will also wait to get limit straps until then also to allow me to dial in the best length.

So stay tuned but don't hold your breath for a completion any time real soon.

Lube it or Loose it!

Dirk... Talk to Jerod about maybe making your own LA. It's hellof time consuming but if you have the materials and a design, it'll save you a huge chunk of change. Guess what I am doing when I get home from GSSW :twisted:

Admin
    Lookin' good Dirk!

Now, don't do what I did (installed the gauges over 2.5 years ago and still haven't hooked them up :roll:

Staff
    Well the oil temp gauge is hooked up and working, the tranny gauge will get hooked up in a couple of weeks when I get home from vacation.

Already talked with Jerod he is not going to be making arms just installing.

Lube it or Loose it!

Dirk,

where did you put your tranny temp sensor ?

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by norcaljr
    Dirk,

where did you put your tranny temp sensor ?
    And where'd you put your oil temp sensor? I've got my Tranny and Coolant temp sensors installed, still lacking my oil sensor.

I have a tranny bypass filter, that has a port for a temp sensor, that's where I put mine...

Staff
    Okay for the oil temp sender:

I picked up a "T" connector (1/4") and then 3 1/4"-1/8" adaptars (they did not have any 1/8" "T's", I took the pressure sender out, and put the new "T" assembly in using an 1/8" close nipple. I put the pressure sender on the top of the "T" and the temp sender on the opposite side of the "T" from where the "T" connected to the block.

As for the tranny temp, (I know I will hear some crap about this one but here goes) I picked up a Mopar deep tranny pan, I think it holds about 2 qts. more than stock and it pretty beefy and is finned on the bottom to help with cooling (it is only maybe an inch or so deeper) so it does not hang down to low. I mean it won't once I get it on after my trip next week. The cool thing is not only does it have a drain plug but it also has a threaded hole for a temp sender.

I will try to get a couple of pix of both the oil temp "T" and the tranny pan tomorrow and get them posted before I leave on Sat.

I will be taking my laptop with me on vacation so I will be around the board but mostly just in the evening as I will be doing "family" things during the day. We are going down to DisneyLand, the best part is I get to pick up my rock rails while I am down there!!!!

Oh yea I think the whole "T" assembly cost me under $5 if you are able to find an 1/8" "T" it would but under $2-3. And YES those are both AutoMeter gauges, both are 100-250*, and I put the green light cover on so they match the stock gauges perfectly.

Lube it or Loose it!

Admin
    Do have the I6 or the V8? I have the V8, and all I remember about that oil pressure sending unit area is that it's TIGHT! I never even thought about that though...

Staff
    Sorry Matt,

I have the I6 and there is TONS of room in the engine bay, I could fit a body in there if I had to.

The other option I considered was dropping the oil pan and welding in a bung (okay having someone weld in a bung for me). That way you are able to tell the temp of the oil in the pan. Not sure what is more critical though or if there is a benifit from the pan temp to the block temp. I figure for us normal guys it really does not matter at all.

Lube it or Loose it!

Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue-Ball

I could fit a body in there if I had to.
    remind me not to mess with you.

BTW jeep is coming along nicely.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

Staff
    Thanks Puma,

Yes it is coming along, just taking way to long but I am the only one to blame, I just like to do things right the first time so I over think most of the stuff and usually over pay, BUT I can honestly say I am very happy with the way EVERYTHING is turning out so in the end I am really pleased and after all that is what counts.

Lube it or Loose it!

sorry if i missed it somewhere in the thread, but did you make those battery hold downs? or where are they from?

looking great, man

jason
    0̶6̶ ̶x̶k̶
    9̶9̶ ̶x̶j̶
    9̶8̶ ̶z̶j̶
    8̶2̶ ̶c̶j̶8
    77 f150
    97 lx450
    91 yj
    93 zj

Staff
    Thanks Jason,

I actually got the battery trays off ebay. There is a guy in So. Cal that makes them up.

They were $37.50 each + shipping. If you search for "optima battery" you should be able to find them. I will look through my past emails and post up his address in the next day or two.

I got some pix of the oil temp sender and the new (well new to me) tranny pan.

I am at the house so I was not able to resize them that is why I am just posting the link, I will try to resize them and get them posted once I get to a hotel and fire up the laptop.

Here is the link
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/93C80296ABF259F

Lube it or Loose it!

he doesn't have any of those battery trays for sale on ebay at this time, but i did find his web address through a completed item search..

here is the address if anyone is interested
    http://www.papajim.net/Battery%20Trays.htm

thanks, cue ball

jason
    0̶6̶ ̶x̶k̶
    9̶9̶ ̶x̶j̶
    9̶8̶ ̶z̶j̶
    8̶2̶ ̶c̶j̶8
    77 f150
    97 lx450
    91 yj
    93 zj

Staff
    Yup, that's the guy. He was GREAT to deal with.

Lube it or Loose it!

Staff
    Okay here are some pix of the tranny pan

Lube it or Loose it!

Hey Dirk,

That's a nice looking pan. Does your friend have access to them for the 46RE in my junk? Might be a good idea to add a bit of fluid capacity.

Thx,
    Dave
    Slate 5.9...some stuff...more to come

Staff
    Dave,

Let me check.

Lube it or Loose it!

Staff
    Okay just a quick update for you all.

I finally got rid of the gay gold snowflake wheels and the street tires. I now have a set of 32x11.5x15 BFG all terrains (thanks BlackDiamondBound ) With the weather like it's been I have not been able to get any pictures to update my avatar and all that yet but hopefully this comming weekend. I know they are only AT's and not MT's but hey you have to admit they are better than street tires so give me a break.

So now onto when will this damn project be done? Who the hell knows but I am getting closer and closer. I just worked out a deal to pick up a used Clayton long arm kit here locally for a great deal. So that was really the last major thing I needed to purchase so once that is off the other Jeep and in my hands I can get that stuff down to AW and get the subframe welded in, and this project will really be off the ground and moving in the right direction.

I have deviated a little from the plan and picked up front and rear Addco sway bars, got a good deal on them so what the hell.

The HP30 is in Windsor getting acid stripped right now and should be ready in a few weeks. I have some POR-15 already at the house I am going to spray the axle with, and then it will be off to get the gears installed, then press in the new ball joints I have at the house and bolt on the Tera knuckle. Then the front axle will be complete (I am just going to reuse the axle shafts I have in my LP30, they are u-jointed ones, also going to reuse the drivers side knuckle and the Stillen brakes).

So it looks like the only stuff I will have left to purchase is:

Limit straps (once install is done)
    DOM tubing for 1-ton steering
    Rebuild kit for 242 Transfer case
    Shifter bezel for 242 tcase
    Some driveshaft work (once install is done)
    Crane Diff cover for 8.8 (much easier to grind the cover and diff to fit with the axle out of the vehicle)

Looks like that is about it. When I write it out like this it still seems like alot to get but knowing I scored on the long arm kit makes me feel MUCH better. I am also thinking for the time being I will keep the 32's see how funny it looks and then decide on either 33's or 35's. With the 4.56 gears I really should go 33's but the fact that the 32's fit on my Jeep now with just a 2" lift really makes me think the 33's will be way small on it once I have the 7" springs in. May just have to wait and see on the tires for now.

Oh yea I did pick up the rock rails when I was in LA a few weeks ago, they look great, there is a few things that need to get welded I think, so those will be going down to AW for that and then off to get media blasted and re-powder coated.

So there you have it, Project MONEY PIT is still alive.

Don't forget you can help get this build complete by picking up some AMSOIL from me or a set of my Jeep service manuals on CD

Lube it or Loose it!

Thread Information