Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Suspension gutted. - Page 4

Thread: Suspension gutted.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manning
    Tommy - with all that tire are you planning to open up the rear wheel wells with tubs?

I've got a similar build in progress and i'm still deciding what to do with the gas tank. I'd like to locate the rear axle 6-8" back from stock to center it between the end of the rockers and bumper, but that would put the axle truss right into the tank.
    in-cab fuel cell
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

I hadn't planned on moving the fuel tank at all. Fully collapsed I am having no issues with clearance. The truss and upper ca mounts dont stick up or back to much and all clearances are fine. I think we moved the rear back like 3" or 4" and the front forwatd some as well. As far as the fuel cell is concerned I wanted to be able to carry a full size spare. I wanted it to be stored internally. So Ryan made that pre-runner style tire carrier. The tire is a big mutha and takes up a ton space in the rear. There isn't much room for a fuel cell back there. i need to take some more pics, with all of the rear plastic back in, the carpet cut, nd the full zize spare back there. It looks clean. IMO.

My steering setup is kind of temporary at this time, we plan on going full hydro. I was planning on doing hydro-assist but with the 4-link front and no t-bar as Corey found out you run into some steering issues under articulation.

Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    moving the tank is one thing i bnever did until now and as soon as i did it i slapped my self. i should have done it a LOOOOOOOONG time ago. you have so much more room. but as you WILL find out 38's do not like the stock fenders and i'l bet you will hack them in no time. you will have very little up travel with then 38's unless you run BIG lift of chop. i was @ 6" and had tons of problems that is another thing that persured me to the rout that i'm taking now. plus it makes for a good write up.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by Kraqa
    moving the tank is one thing i bnever did until now and as soon as i did it i slapped my self. i should have done it a LOOOOOOOONG time ago. you have so much more room. but as you WILL find out 38's do not like the stock fenders and i'l bet you will hack them in no time. you will have very little up travel with then 38's unless you run BIG lift of chop. i was @ 6" and had tons of problems that is another thing that persured me to the rout that i'm taking now. plus it makes for a good write up.

Kraqa, the 6" you mentioned, are you reffering to the amount of uptravel you have or the amount of lift you are running? I think you are reffering to the amount of up travel. I think my ZJ is going to be a little tall. But with the CO's there is some adjustability. Ryan mad the arms with forward and reverse threads so the arms can be some what adjusted in place.

I will try and get up to the shoop so I can take some more pics this weekend. Manning at full droop what kind of travel are you getting? Kraqa did you ever measure what kind of travel you go at full droop

I wish I had been able to get up to the shop and take some pics with the 38.5" spare back there. It is tight. Bringing the tank up a foot cut's into that space. Are you going to be tossing the rear lftgate, or cut the back 2 windows out?

Tommy

I should have bought a f250 front D60, but i got a good deal on the one i have and i am so far in the build now. I am using the POSI-LOK for front axle engagment becuase the DODGE D60 has the CAD. I have looked into converting the to D70 knucckles and spindles, to give it manual hubs. Do you guys think it is woth the trouble to do it? I am running 5.38's and a full spool up front, if i were to lock the manual hubs i would be able to disengage them from in the CAB with the POSI-LOK for tight turns ETC, then rengage it without getting out of the CAB. With the conversion i have the option of going 35 spline.

They are true 38.5" boggers. Plus I am planning on a an Atlas 4.3 with High Angle drive shafts.

B-133 15/38.5-16 6 29/32 12.5 38.4 14.5 16x10-12 45

Where are you from? Once the jeep is done, we are going to be making some test runs out to Ocitillo and the OHV park off the 74 Ortega Highway. As well as some runs to truckhaven, if you liked Ocitillo you will really like Truckhaven. The OHV park off the 74, is like 15 min from my house.

Tommy-
    With respect to what Jess told you about needing heavier duty driveshafts and t-case, i'm wondering if they're really necessary. If you check out a tire size/gear ratio chart, at 65mph, a stock ZJ w/ 29" tires and 3.73 gears will be turning 2809 RPM. You're going to be running 38's with 5.38 gears, so at 65mph your engine will be turning 3093 RPM....or the equivalent of putting 26.5" tires on a stock ZJ. So if we're simply talking about physics of gearing and ignoring the fact that the 38's and heavier duty axle shafts weigh a lot more, it technically should be EASIER for your engine, trans, t-case, and driveshafts to turn those axleshafts and tires with those low gears. I realize that there's a lot more mass to turn with those tires, but i still think that a huge majority of that added stress is going to be absorbed by the axleshafts rather than the driveshafts.
    When people found out i was putting a 14b under my jeep, everyone said that i'd need to upgrade my t-case and driveshafts, but i''ve only got 35" tires with 5.13 gears (so at 65mph, my engine's turning 3200 RPM!). So on mine, i really don't think i'm going to need to upgrade my driveshafts or t-case because i think those parts are actually feeling that it's easier to turn that pinion on the diff than it was when it was stock.
    Someone please correct me if i'm thinking about this completely wrong, or give me an example as to why it's wrong, but this is what currently makes sense to me logically.

-Ron-

Ron

I was feeling the same way. I think his biggest concern was the hack and tap Tom Woods SYE on my 242. I am having a hard time foking out the cash for the ATLAS and shafts. I feel good about it one day and feel remorseful the next. For the price of the Atlas and shafts I could buy an f250 to tow the jeep. It sucks not having a truck, especially going to lowes or home depot. He was also concerned with the 1310 joints. If I keep the 242 and run the crap out of i would just need buy the 1310 conversion yoke for the rear 60 and some flange adapter for the front of my 242. I guess jess sells a 1350 conversion for the front output of the 242. It is a 23 spline flange, I think the 242 is 32 but haven't confirmed it. If i keep the 242 my front shaft would be all 1350 and my rear would be 1310 and I will be able to reuse my Tom Woods rear shaft. If I do this i would for sure convert my CAD front D60 to manual hubs..

rather than an atlas, what about a 300?

Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    About the same price with 4:1 gears. Because everyone thinks they need a D300. And all tcases are useless with big tires and 2.7X ratio. Ring and pinon gear swaps are only good for the street.

Chad

Staff
    for those who asked. i run about 6" LIFT and i had maybe 5" up travel with the fenders hacked.

as for flex. well with a single JJ at one end and super long arms

EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer

I am getting 8" of up travel front and rear and the same for down travel with the coilovers . This is exactly how Rokn's was ZJ was setup according to a post I found on NAGCA. Although my ZJ is going to be on the tall side. Atleast there is some adjustability to the coilovers.

Staff
    sounds like it shoudl work ok. i think your advantage was the control of the coil overs. i can't wait to see some action.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING

I can't wait to get the thing on the trail. Should be fun, and I do plan to beat the crap out of it on occasions. I am really looking forward to GSW.

I think its time for some new pics....
    94' grand cherokee, 5.5" on 35's...yay! now i need to make more money!!!

maybe this weekend. I have been working a ton and Ryan has aswell so the jeep hasn't been touched in about a month. We should be able to get the coils this weekend. I'll take some more pics then.

As promised, some more pics. As you will notice our first attempt/guess at coil rates was unsucessful. The jeep is sitting way high. Back to Kartek next weekend. The front is 500's over 550's and the rear is 400's over 450's. Probably going to move the rear coils to the front and go way lighter in the rear , 300's over 350's. Unfortunately Rokn had no clue what he was running so we kinda guessed. There is also a pic of the spare tire carrier holding the 38" spare.

Pic of my youngest daughter.

Please don't flame me to bad. Again the coil rates are to heavy. We need to go way lighter and the truck is going to sit much lower.

When we set the thing down, we were like holy shit that is high .
    It was kind of nice to sit the sitting on it's own instead of the lift for the fist time in 5 months.

Damn it. Imagestation sucks... Why are only some of the pics showing?

Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    damn dude, you're gonna need a step ladder to change your oil. nonetheless I am incredibly jealous.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

You were obviously able to see some of the pics. I have no clue what the hell is up. If somebody can help me fix it please let me know. And like I said it won't sit nearly this high...

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    You were obviously able to see some of the pics. I have no clue what the hell is up. If somebody can help me fix it please let me know. And like I said it won't sit nearly this high...
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /picture/sraid160/pc573dfafcd17215d24216af58e3575df/f4e99200.jpg on this server.

Are you sure you're allowed to link imagestation pics like that? Is there a different share address?

I posted the pics the same way as all of the other ones, and all of the other pics are imagestation. But they are all f'd now.

Thread Information