Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
High steer

Thread: High steer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 High steer 
    I saw where Ilikemud was looking into the teraflex high steer kit, most of the replies seemed like people didn't like it much though. So now I'm wondering what you guys recommend or what you are running in your rigs. My xj will be sitting about 7-8 inches and the stock steering crap just wont work without having a major drop pitman arm, which I don't want to run

Any input is great

2. #2 Re: High steer 
    I don't personally use it but I have a couple of buddies that run it, the only problem I have seen of it, other than Tera making it, is that the passenger side end rubs like hell on the tire on anything more than 3.5" backspacing wheel.. Granted both thes guys are ruinning 35x14.50 boggers, not sure if it matters that it is on a YJ... but they have both trimmed the tierod end..quite a bit..
    2000/WJ/5.2/4x4

3. #3 Re: High steer 
    I had the terahigh steering and the only issues i had were the swaybar mount being in the way and the aluminum tierod is way too weak mine bent just from force
    Black 97 ZJ, 4.0, 242, Clayton LA 4.5" lift +2"spacers, TW DS, 8.8 4.10's, HPD30 4.11, WJ steering conversion, 1 ton flip, PSC , KOR TB conversion, Front axle Currie JJ bushing conversion, Baja Claws 33's, Custom front & rear bumpers, Rear tire carrier, rock sliders
    Works in progress->...
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...4/P1010203.jpg

4. #4 Re: High steer 
    doesnt have to be tera. im looking for all options. thanks for the input on tera i will try to avoid it

5. #5 Re: High steer 
    you have just a few options with the D30:
    WJ steering or ORO U-Turn Steering. I and a few others on here have the ORO and have no problems with it but it's not cheap... could do the WJ for about the same price or less and get upgraded brakes with it, but you have to piece it together since there is no "kit".
    I went with the ORO b/c I needed steering ASAP b/c I was installing Claytons 7" and stock HATED that much lift.... It is also recommended to get the OTA TB bracket at the same time that you go high"er" steering
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

6. #6 Re: High steer 
    thanks man, my dad works at the jeep dealership so would you recommend going wj style steering over the ORO, or would the ORO be better in the long run?

edit: the only advantage I see with the wj style would be the drag link its higher on the knuckle correct?
    Last edited by 1fox2go; 04-07-2008 at 01:56 PM.

7. #7 Re: High steer 
    both the ORO and The WJ make the tie rod knuckle to knuckle and the drag link directly to the passenger knuckle, but the main advantage with the WJ style is the upgrade in braking going to a larger rotor and dual piston calipers and with your dad at a dealer you could get the hookup on parts
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    We're all insane here...

8. #8 Re: High steer 
    If you go with WJ stuff you will be replacing your outers, giving you the brakes too, 12.7" and twin piston Akebono's, I really like that swap, the tie rod and Drag link are thin wall but beefy enough, I like it if you have access to the parts cheap..The steering stuff is not the beefiest, and if that is your objective, others are stronger, but from a steering geometry and braking stand point the WJ is a big plus..
    And you can easily upgrade the Trod and ends from there.. I wonder if the drag link end binding at the pitman is still a bitch with it in the ZJ when flexing?
    2000/WJ/5.2/4x4

9. #9 Re: High steer 
    Thanks guys, I will see what kinda prices I can get the WJ stuff for. So for the parts list I will need both knuckles drag link and the tie rod correct?

10. #10 Re: High steer 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 5.9 ANDY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
    Thanks guys, I will see what kinda prices I can get the WJ stuff for. So for the parts list I will need both knuckles drag link and the tie rod correct?
    brake hangers, calipers... and the JKS hub spacers...
    proud Lance Corporal in the Unted States Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post

This website is bad for the health of your vehicles, enjoy your stay

11. #11 Re: High steer 
    hub spacers?

12. #12 Re: High steer 
    yeah you need hub spacers to not have to use the WJ axle outers. you weld the spacer to the knuckle and you can reuse your hubs and axle shafts.
    We're all insane here...

13. #13 Re: High steer 
    The WJ swap is the cat's pajamas. Big ass brakes, TRUE high steer.... and it's cheap and not that difficult to do. I did a psuedo writeup a while back. I kept all the pictures but the doodz here at MC wouldn't host the pictures on the site for me so the thread sorta fizzled out and none of the pics work anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

14. #14 Re: High steer 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 5.9 ANDY's Avatar
    there is another thing you can do instead of the hub spacers, you can take the end of the axle shaft and grind it down by about 1/8''-1/4" so you dont have to run the spacers.... i plan on doing this, and i dont want to mess with welding the spacer to the cast steel nuckle.
    proud Lance Corporal in the Unted States Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post

This website is bad for the health of your vehicles, enjoy your stay

15. #15 Re: High steer 
    I priced all the parts, new would be roughly 600 bucks at my cost

16. #16 Re: High steer 
    For the WJ steering? Mine was cheaper than that.
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

17. #17 Re: High steer 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    The WJ swap is the cat's pajamas. Big ass brakes, TRUE high steer.... and it's cheap and not that difficult to do. I did a psuedo writeup a while back. I kept all the pictures but the doodz here at MC wouldn't host the pictures on the site for me so the thread sorta fizzled out and none of the pics work anymore.
    do you still have the pics? if so I'll host them and the thread will live on
    We're all insane here...

18. #18 Re: High steer 
    all brand new parts, thats calipers, roters, knuckles etc

that was for 17 inch stuff, what year should I look for so it will fit my 15 inch wheels?

19. #19 Re: High steer 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    do you still have the pics? if so I'll host them and the thread will live on

I do. Shoot me an IM tonight or something and remind me. I'm at work and they're on my PC at home.

20. #20 Re: High steer 
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
    all brand new parts, thats calipers, roters, knuckles etc

that was for 17 inch stuff, what year should I look for so it will fit my 15 inch wheels?
    17" stuff? Unless I am reading this wrong? The only difference would be between getting the Teves or Akebono calipers, and I don't think anyone would opt for the Teves when doing this.. 99-late 01 was teves, 02 and up akebono, better design..
    Either one should fit inside a steel 15" wheel, maybe a tiny bit of clearance work on the akebono calipers.. but a steel wheel with minimum of 4" BS should clear them.. Either will fit inside a 16" 100% sure on that, so no idea what you mean by 17" stuff Someone will confirm this..
    2000/WJ/5.2/4x4

21. #21 Re: High steer 
    I have 02 WJ setup in my 15" steelies with 3.75 BS.I have about 3/16" clearance between the rim and the caliper.
    Sry for the big pic
    Black 97 ZJ, 4.0, 242, Clayton LA 4.5" lift +2"spacers, TW DS, 8.8 4.10's, HPD30 4.11, WJ steering conversion, 1 ton flip, PSC , KOR TB conversion, Front axle Currie JJ bushing conversion, Baja Claws 33's, Custom front & rear bumpers, Rear tire carrier, rock sliders
    Works in progress->...
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...4/P1010203.jpg

22. #22 Re: High steer 
    I had to go by a jeep that was on the racks to get parts for. I see what your saying about the wheels I have 2 sets, 15x10 3.75 BS steelies and 15x10 with I hope 3.75 BS aluminum, got them on a trade so unsure of the backspace

So get calipers knuckles and rotors for 02 and up correct?

23. #23 Re: High steer 
    knuckles are rotors are the same for all, if you are runnign full hi steer you need a north american type pass knuckle and a european type drivers side knuckle
    99 WJ, D60/14B, 5.38s, 203/D300, 39.5"s, H1s

It was a jeep thing, but that shit broke

24. #24 Re: High steer 
    I doubt the aluminum wheels will fit, due to thicker rim area, but report on it...
    2000/WJ/5.2/4x4

25. #25 Re: High steer 
    To fit on the stock ZJ aluminum rims I had to use some Spydertrax 1.25" spacers to prevent rubbing. I ran my street tires on the stock ZJ rims for a while with that setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information