Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Suspension gutted.

Thread: Suspension gutted.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Suspension gutted. 
    Just thought I would share a few pics of the ZJ, suspension was gutted and almost ready to start fabbing. What kind of height are you guys running from the ground to the bottom of the unibody frame rail? I want to be at the same height or around there as ROKn runs. My setup is going to be similar with 16" SWAYAWAYS

[/list]

sick

Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    nice. is that a 60 front????
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

Yeah it's a D60 front out of 1996 DODGE. That is the one thing I wish was different. It has that funky central axle disconnect. I got a good deal on them and they came from the same truck. I am going to buy a posi-lok so that i can engage it with a cable. When and if i bust it, i am going to do the manual hub conversion from dynatrac, which gets rid of it all together.

You know you have 3 boggers mounted for Drivers side and 1 mounted for passenger side?

Other than that, your rig is gonna be sick.
    Grand Cherokee Sellout #17
    Traded 2wd->4wd converted ZJ for TJ Rubicon

Jeep Sellout #185,298
    Traded wrecked 04 Newbicon for 2006 Rustang GT

They are just mounted randomly, we just threw them on to help us gauge where we want ride height to be. We'll flop them around when the thing is rolling again.

Oops, forgot to mention there is a 5th one mounted for the passenger side, got to have a full size spare.

I haven't had time to go measure the ride height of the ZJ, but if I remember correctly the last time I measured it, it was only like 9.5" taller than stock. I will try and head back out there next week and take some more pictures, it's just not right outside like it used to be unfortunatly.

Also I would suggest looking into a swaybar setup for the rear, to help keep it stable. Mine would be a lot better if I had one. And for all the anti-swaybar people, all the buggy guys use swaybars so they must do something right. Now theoretically you could set up the perfect suspension which wouldn't need one, but IMO they don't really hurt anything, they just help...

Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    i dont' run a sway bar in the rear. and i used to pimp the whole no sway bar thing. but it totaly depends on your terrain. if i was doing alot of off camber rocks i would tottaly run one. but if you do more trail riding with rare off camber situation and alot of rocks and mud i find the flex is very usfull. putting one tire in the air on a muddy rock is not the best solution, the more tire you got on the ground the better. or at least it is in my case.

tommy,

looks good lets see some progress pics. what size tires are those? 38?
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

Rokn

Thanks I appreciate it. I understand the weather deal. I have to post some pics of the weather we are having here. It snowed yesterday, kinda unusual for SOCAL. I thought my my palm tree was going to die. We have it siiting at 30" from the bottom of the framerail to the ground. I think it may be to high. Ryan hasn't started to fab the arms yet. Although he did fab up a cool crossmember. I'll snap some pics next weekend. We may be able to get enough triangulation out of it for a front 4 link. And will be able to integrate a belly skid. It should be sick. We will probably be throwing a swaybar on, do you think it is better in the front or rear, or both? I intend on using it, so I want it to work well. There is some more trimming to be done aswell.

Kraqa

Yeah, 15/38.5x16 boggers. The rims have a 4" backspace. I like the way they fit. The terrain I see the most is desert, with hard packed dirt, and some rocks. The trails get really twisty, especially in Truckhaven. And some good hill climbs.

Probably get shot for this but, RJ over at JU had a custom suspension with coilovers on a WJ. While his exact suspension would not work for you, it could give you some insight to fix problems before they arise.

Looks great.
    Hunter
    04 4.7 HO limited
    04 4.7 HO Overland
    00 4.7 with no lift or mods (RIP)
    94 5.9 with lift and mods (sold)

Thanks Hunter. I have seen RJ's WJ, while surfing on NAGCA. His setup is a little different, I think he used claytons kit and 14" coilovers. Very nice though.

Some more pics are at: http://team21rockracing.com/pics/ files: PICT0609-0619 I believe... Hope they help a little more. I should pick up the ZJ next week and start tearing it apart, so I could probably get more pics and measurments then.

Hal

Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    I would say you would be better off deciding on ride height based on your specific setup. Figure out what the minimum amount of lift you can run to fit those tires, and set it up. If you get ouy on the trail and it rubs you can always add a little more lift by adjusting the coilovers.

I say 6-8" of lift would be about right to run the 38's.

Cody

That is basically what we did. I was just curious, if we were around the same as others. I plan on taking another 2" off the front fenders and doing some trimming in the rear. We are also cutting down the front TR a little. I am going to try and take some more progress pics next weekend.

Tommy, got any plans for that D30? Got a buddy down in San Diego who snapped his in Glamis.
    <<<Official JU sig>>>
    1995 BLACK ZJ LAREDO: 5.2l V8, NP242 Transfer case, 6 way power seats, power windows, power mirrors, auto dimming rear view mirror, cruise control, tow package, 4 wheel disk brakes, Infinity Gold 6 speaker stereo w/ factory amp, mopar roof rack, factory fog lights.

I want to get rid of it. He can come pick it up this weekend, it is still at the shop where the jeep is. I also have a HPD30 housing? Aren't the knuckles and axles interchangeable. If so I can give you a good deal for the both to get them out of my site.. e-mail me.

tommy.medina@cingular.com

This is kinda pointless without pics but, Ryan got the rear all tacked in. I will get some pics this Saturday to post. Plus we are going to trade in the 16" swayaways for 18". Probably overkill, but what the hell, they are the same price..

Here some updaated pics of the rear 4-link tac'd in. There is a bunch more welding and gusseting to do. The lower arms are going to have another bar welded to them and plated, the truss will be plated as well.

And a an OT pic, here is the pre-runner at the shop right now.

I figure you guys may be suspect to the design of the crossmember. It may turn into a plow. Ryan is still working on the front and there is alot of room for changes still.

The range of motion for the pinion angle is money. We cycled it some what and there seems to be no bind, and is very solid. We also decided to go with heims all around, probably wont ride like stock (LOL), but it isn't my daily driver. Need to start think of a swaybar setup as well.

Here is the a pic of the rear afetr i gutted it, all ready for the torch..

Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    Dude, I give you credit for a cool project, but 18" coilovers? I don't see how you could effectively use that much travel without it being a slinky.

Cody

Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    Your rear upper frame side arm mounts scare me.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by chadjans
    You rear upper frame side arm mounts scare me.
    Thought crossed my mind too.

They still need to be gusseted. There is much to do. As far as the coilovers are concerned you are probably right. I still have the 16". There is no way I would fully be able to use 18". Unless I jump, it. Even at that highly doubt it. I appreciate the criticism with regards to the uppers mount. Once they are done you may think differently. No need to be scared.

I wish I could find some pics of the way ChrisL did his uppers when he modified claytons kit to be a triangulated 4-link. I remember the upper mounts being very similar for some reason. I am not being an a-hole, I am just curious why the uppers scare you. Can you elaborate for me, I would like to fully understand your point of view.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Thread Information