Thread: 4.0 Stroker

1. #1 4.0 Stroker 
    I've been having trouble with the ZJ in the power department. It's fine around town, on the trails, etc, but when I take it on the highway, it struggles to climb hills and generally feels like it lacks power. Sometimes I have to look back to see if I'm pulling a trailer or something.

It's very annoying, because I know tons of 4.0 ZJs are riding around on the highway with 35s, 37s, etc and having no problems. Why me? :cry:

I'm running 4.56s and 33s, so gearing is fine. I thought it was an engine/tranny problem, so I dropped it off at a reputable shop. It's been there for a while, and they haven't been able to find anything wrong with it. I wish it was one of those easy fixes like a plugged cat or something, but that's just not the case.

I've been thinking about building a stroker engine. A nicely built 4.6-4.7L can put out more power than a 5.2L.

Just looking for opinions, rough idea of total cost, etc. I've found a few kits, but they are running over $2000. I'd think it could be done cheaper.

Brentt, I know your running a 4.6L. Could you give me some details on your buildup?

Sent this link to a buddy of mine this morning:

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

There are a couple of good low-buck recipies in there. Depending on what you want, and how much of the work you can/will do yourself, I think there are some pretty affordable options there.
    I break stuff.

I can tell you that my Dad did the work and that he was a Mechanic in the NHRA before he became a family man......

Noah is having one put together at ADB. $$ but worth it.

All said and done I spent about 1200 bucks. But that was with my old man doing almost ALL of the work.

I love mine and I can bake all 4 tires pretty easy.
    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to the countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process. The responsibility of the United States in this conflict is to eliminate weapons of mass destruction, to minimize the danger to our troops and to diminish the suffering of the Iraqi peole." - Nancy Pelosi circa 1998

And your rebuttal Ms. Communist bitch?

I wheel with a guy here that had Hesco build his stroker kit in his TJ. I want to say he paid out the nose for it. Something like 3K+ :shock: , but it's one bad mother. Here's another link for you: http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/bryce/stroker/research.cfm
    The fertilizer of freedom is the blood of warriors - The Nuge.

99WJ: Sold. Gone.
    83 Waggy: gone.
    93 XJ: already beat. Ready for more.

Thanks for the help. I'm seriously considering this... hmm, wonder how long my 42RE will last with that kind of power?

Here's info on the Hesco kit. http://www.hescosc.com/H8799S030.html

Thread Information