Thread: JP magazine at GSW 05'?

1. #1 JP magazine at GSW 05'? 
    Would anybody want to invite JP magazine to GSW 05? I wanted to see if there was a general interest.. lol at least I thought it would be cool to see my rig in the pages of a somewhat major magazine.

Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    I don't htink they will cover it every year. We've had 4wd/suv and JP come out.

If we are going to invite someone, it would likely have to be a different rag. However, I bet primedia is getting tired of us.

I say we try the new 'dirtlife' and 'xtreme offroad' rags or whatever they are called. I bet that extreme offroad would like to cover our event given that it has already drawn the attention of the bigger rags twice now.

Cody

The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    I agree, we should try to invite at least one or two every year just to see if anyone will come out.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    The editor in the Oct/Nov issue or 4WD&SUM (another Primedia mag) put the word out that we should do our own article w/pics, send it to them and they will concider publishing it. I guess they are outsourcing reporters too. Maybe we should find out who the best reporter is and assign a couple of photographers in each days groups, then pick the best to send in.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Just an FYI too for anyone not in the Planner's Group, but we are taking care of any magazine contacts, so there's no need for anyone else to contact the mags as we have already or will be doing so ourselves.

I trust that Dave has it under control, but what about Extreme Offroad? It's NOT primedia, and good tech. Seems like the kind of stuff members of this board are into. I can't be there because I'm all the way on the right coast, but I know I wouldn't want the cousin of Truckin' to be at my Grand Slam.

I'd put money on Extreme Offroad wanting to cover the run. They seem pretty eager to cover all aspects of wheeling (Actual wheeling). But I'd suggest at least contacting 4wheeler and Peterson's. The fact is those are THE off-road magazines, and I think it'd be cool for a bunch of Grands to get into one of those mags, but that's my opinion.

Hal

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by PassRunnerZJ
    The editor in the Oct/Nov issue or 4WD&SUM (another Primedia mag) put the word out that we should do our own article w/pics, send it to them and they will concider publishing it. I guess they are outsourcing reporters too. Maybe we should find out who the best reporter is and assign a couple of photographers in each days groups, then pick the best to send in.
    I study English and would be willing to write up some stuff if you have some mags that would be interested in going this route :P

Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    I trust that Dave has it under control, but what about Extreme Offroad? It's NOT primedia, and good tech. Seems like the kind of stuff members of this board are into. I can't be there because I'm all the way on the right coast, but I know I wouldn't want the cousin of Truckin' to be at my Grand Slam.
    being on the right coast is NO excuse :twisted:
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by jsteves
    Quote Originally Posted by PassRunnerZJ
    I study English and would be willing to write up some stuff if you have some mags that would be interested in going this route :P
    Whether any mags cover this year or not there are plenty of reasons to get help writing up and photographing GSW 2005 for our own website. We need a link to show prospective sponsors and prospective participants what GSW is all about so that they can make informed decisions. I regret not having worked harder to memorialize and document our prior GSWs.
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Perhaps Dave or Matt can put a sub-domain off mallcrawlin.com (/gsw05) for us to have a place to put basic pictures of our rigs as they are at this (each) year's event and then we can discribe the current build, listing items from current and prospecitive sponsors. There could also be a future build area below the current build section of our intended next stage plans so that the sponsors can see where we plan to go with our rigs, read: spending more money and buying their goods/services. Then we could have a list of the trails with writeups about the runs and pictures of the vehicles on the trail.

After we finish the event this year, we could build up some pages from past years events. It seems that Dave wrote up a few pages for 02, 03, and maybe 04. I'm thinking if we mention sponsor equipment and trail names in the body as well as other modifications (key words), we would get more exposure from the search engine spiders.

This wouldn't have to be done until after GSW as some need to focus on finishing rigs (Matt) and other projects before the Grand date. Two or three pages in JP Magazine or other magazines just doesn't seem to do our event justice (not that I'm complaining, thanks Cappa). $0.02 thought.

Another mag that comes to mind is 4x4 Builder which fits us, as 99.9% of the rigs at GSW are in some stage of a build and everyone is looking for something to make their rig(s) better. There are a lot of poster children for sponsor's products we just need more exposure.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

Thread Information