Thread: Ford Taurus fan..

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. #201 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Factory (tow package one) alternator here - I don't see a huge voltage dip when it's running, but I do see a bit of a drop.

Bear in mind, mine only runs at 100% when the AC or defrost is on (DC Controls box is running it)
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

2. #202 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    My first alt crapped out me shortly after installing the fan. BUT I didn't have the controller in yet and was prone to leaving it on high for long periods of time. Since the controler went on it seems to be fine.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

3. #203 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    my shitty amp from napa keeps blowing. any ideas for an upgrade?
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

4. #204 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95maxx View Post
    my shitty amp from napa keeps blowing. any ideas for an upgrade?
    Your fuse? What size are you running?
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

5. #205 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Just get the 120 amp for the V8. Search for the swap article, it's simple. The V8 has a 7 rib belt the I6 a 6 rib. So swap the pulleys, change out the plastic ear for the cable (it is 180 degree out) and push the ferule out/in till they match. The frame is the same size just a little more filling with copper for the higher current output. I tried the local junkyard but every one they showed me was a 90 amp and mismarked. Guess I will buy new when I have the time for the rest of the install time.

Ebay has some rebuilt units that are stock frames but rewound for higher current. Not sure if I trust them though.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

6. #206 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ TINS View Post
    Just get the 120 amp for the V8. Search for the swap article, it's simple. The V8 has a 7 rib belt the I6 a 6 rib. So swap the pulleys, change out the plastic ear for the cable (it is 180 degree out) and push the ferule out/in till they match. The frame is the same size just a little more filling with copper for the higher current output. I tried the local junkyard but every one they showed me was a 90 amp and mismarked. Guess I will buy new when I have the time for the rest of the install time.

Ebay has some rebuilt units that are stock frames but rewound for higher current. Not sure if I trust them though.
    Found out he isn't talking about his amp. He's talking about his 30 amp RELAY that he uses to run his fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

7. #207 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    ayyyyyyyyyyy
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

8. #208 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Hmm that was unforseen.

I noticed the stock fuse on the Taurus is not small but is 30 amp. Wander if it is slow blow of something. I plan on use it on my install, just gonna bypass the low speed and let the PCM control it.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

9. #209 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I instaled a Taurus fan on my 99 wj. I wired the high speed right into the factory plug for the stock e-fan and it has been working for 3 months now!

10. #210 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Well I blew my 2nd alternator! Forgot to turn my headlights off when I hit the trail and that with low engine speeds, frequent stops and idling, some high rpm attacks on snow drifts must have been more than the 90amp stocker could handle.

I picked up a new one for a '98 ZJ with the 5.9HO. Its listed as 136amp alt but the sticker on it says 90amp at 2000RPM and 150amps at 6000rpm. I'm assuming that is alt rpms and not engine rpms.

I noticed the pulley is a fair bit smaller, should help keep the amps up at low idle speed.

I also installed a second battery. I'm hoping between those two upgrades I won't have anymore dead alts. However when I did test it at idle with the fan on high it would quickly drop from 13.7 volts to 12.5 and then slowly over time drop to 12v.

Anyone else have alt troubles? This is a stock alt for a Ford Taurus, I'm having trouble believing Ford put a 150amp alt in a Taurus just to run a fan. I wonder if something is wrong with mine and pulling too many amps....
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

11. #211 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Mine drops to very near 12v by the dash gauge when the fan is in warp speed. Seems to happen more when the stereo (small amp) and/or headlights are on, worse when the rear defroster is on. I haven't blown any alternators though.

I don't think my controller runs full amperage to the fan either - I think it's peaked at 35. I can get up to a 50 from DC Control.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

12. #212 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I also just did this swap on my 97 zj along with a new radiator. one month old and always sitting right under the halfway mark. when i kick it to high i dont see it drop any low it stays the same. I hope to use high when i am crawling slow
    97 zj - hack job fenders, 32 bfg all terrain,

13. #213 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Can someone tell me which wire to hook to positive, orange or yellow (which one is high fan speed?), I can't tell the difference.
    Last edited by rtingdds; 06-15-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    97 5.2;NP231,RE 6.5"LA;ACOS;Dynatrac D44/ProRock60 & ARBs;ARB front bumper/remote Warn/Viking line;KOR rear carrier bumper,rack,slidz,diff skit;RonDavis Alum radiator/E fan;Fitch Catakyst;FIPK;front SwayLoc & rear AntiRock;Kings;Hellas;Hi steer/brace/TomLee ram assist;4XD tank skid;35"KM2 beadlocked 5&5.5 lugs;Hushpower II;hood vents

14. #214 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I've always seen different colors when I was pulling them from the yard - might be aftermarket, or Ford was just keeping people on their toes.

Jump the wires straight to the battery, one at a time - you'll know which one is high...the assembly will try to jump out and bite you....trust me
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

15. #215 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Well I'm beginning to think I had a bad fan right from the start. I installed a brand 136amp alt for a 5.9l, and wired in a dual battery setup and was still seeing quite a drop on the voltage gauge when I kicked in. Then on a run yesterday it started to burn up. You know that nice electrical/plastic burning smell. The that lets you know that the magic smoke that makes all electrical stuff work is escaping.

Anyway its defiantly toast. Fortunately I still carried my old mechanical clutch fan with me so I swapped it back in and finished the run with no problems. This weekend I'm going to try and go find another.

16. #216 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    ok i did the fan swap everything is nice and hooked up but the fan wasnt kicking on, and im usin that damn dcc box, anyone else have the same problem?
    No longer a JeepTech01 fan.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

And ELLLLLIOTTTTT................I think..........Yup and ELLLLLIOTTTTT.

17. #217 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I just installed a taurus fan and a DCC box. It is working just as it should. DCC shorted me on the jumpers but other than that I am having no problems.

I would jump the fan straight to power and make sure it is working and double check the wiring to box
    97 ZJ 5" and 35's

18. #218 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    i rewired everything today and i got plenty of power goin in but no power comin out.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

19. #219 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    maybe the rad temp sensor is no good, try putting power to the a/c signal wire(blue wire), that should send power out to the fan regardless of the rad temp
    97 ZJ 5" and 35's

20. #220 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    i tried that trick to and still nothin, the guy told me everything is tested when they ship out but its still not working, wtf this is a PITA big time!!!!

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

21. #221 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    you have a multimiter? Make sure your getting power to the fan motor, check the voltage right at the fan to see.
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

22. #222 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    reground the box
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

23. #223 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    i wired my fan up with a relay/solenoid for 200amps. i got it for like 50 bucks from a car parts place. just check all of the wires for power and make sure all of your connections are good. also straight wire the fan to make sure your fan works.
    93' ZJ 5.2l v8 NP242 44/8.8 TR bumper, warn m8000, clayton long arm, Skid plate, MX6 shocks
    35" bfg M/Ts tire carrier, rock sliderz, rock lights, half doors.
    coming soon to a Jeep near you...a/c

24. #224 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Just an update, I must have got a bad fan from the wrecker right from the start. Got another one after the first burned up and its been good for almost a year now.

If you do upgrade to 5.9L alt get the matching belt. The 5.9L(136amp) alt has a smaller pulley and my stock 5.2L belt was just a bit too long and squealed when under load. Picked up a belt from a 5.9L and its been all good.

25. #225 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Haha, must have spoke too soon. Not really a fan issue but an Alt issue. The new 136 amp alt was too much for the stock wiring. Blew the alt fuses, took me awhile to figure out there are two of them running in parallel. Replacing just one cause it to blow right away when a load was on. DUH!!

I ended up adding an extra 4ga cable directly from the alt to the battery. This was an addition to the stock one that runs all over to the place, then splits into two lines, goes thru the fuse box and finally into the battery. Hopefully this will finally end my fan/battery/alt problems.

Oh yeah, added an extra ground as well, another 4ga from the alt bracket to the neg battery post. I'm not THAT stupid.....

Thread Information