Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Ford Taurus fan.. - Page 8

Thread: Ford Taurus fan..

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. #176 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Or do what I did....I used the bottom portion of my factory ZJ shroud...trimmed everything to kinda half-ass match up....then I used some fiberglass to mate the factory shroud (what was left of it anyway) with the taurus shroud. I filled in the HUGE gaps with triple expanding foam and trimmed the foam, in an effort to "create" a surface for the fiberglass to lay on, since the gaps are huge.

In the end, I left the foam in place, trimming it out of the way for airflow on the radiator side. It sticks really well and adds to the structural integrity of putting the to shrouds together.

Using this method, the fan "drops in" since the bottom of the assembly is the factory shroud. Then you just rig up a way to hold it in from the top and wire it up.

Also, I only run mine on high speed, since that's where I need it most of the time. I'm also piggybacking a big relay from a Hayden electric fan controller, as other have mentioned.
    Fortunately, we're not getting nearly as much government control as we're paying for.

2. #177 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    guess i shouldnt have opened my mouth....

the zip ties on my fan just broke and my fan fell on to the motor pulleys....

didnt mess it up tho... caught it in time... got the stuff to do it the right way so i can do it tomarrow...
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

3. #178 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    or use a 5.9 fan...bolts right in. mine too is wired with a 3 way switch. i used a relay and temp sensor to automatically run the low side. and a ford starter solenoid to run the high side via the switch which includes an off position of course.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

4. #179 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteves View Post
    or use a 5.9 fan...bolts right in. mine too is wired with a 3 way switch. i used a relay and temp sensor to automatically run the low side. and a ford starter solenoid to run the high side via the switch which includes an off position of course.
    Yeah, but the 5.9 fan is $$$, and Taurus fans are a dime a dozen.

And beware - the Ford starter solenoid isn't meant for continuous duty and it WILL fail. I have tried using them in applications like this before, and I always had to keep a spare, because they didn't ever last very long.

The $35 or so for the Bosch relay is worth it.
    Fortunately, we're not getting nearly as much government control as we're paying for.

5. #180 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    question: a friend of mine had a taurus fan in his TJ and when he would turn it on high it would suck itself into his radiator and chew it up, has anyone even herd of this b4?
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

6. #181 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    question: a friend of mine had a taurus fan in his TJ and when he would turn it on high it would suck itself into his radiator and chew it up, has anyone even herd of this b4?
    never heard of it, but it sounds like the bushings in the fan motor were toast, or that the fan blade itself had some play on the motor shaft and could move around a bit.

7. #182 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Can somebody tell me what exactly I need to get so I can put this fan on my jeep!!!!
    I know I need the fan wires,relays ect...but what sizes wires,relays ect....
    How do you make it run so it takes care of its self with teromsat
    I hate cluch fans they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. #183 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by faststang1 View Post
    Can somebody tell me what exactly I need to get so I can put this fan on my jeep!!!!
    I know I need the fan wires,relays ect...but what sizes wires,relays ect....
    How do you make it run so it takes care of its self with teromsat
    I hate cluch fans they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Did you even bother to read through this thread?
    All the information is there, don't expect to be spoon fed.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

9. #184 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Yota Tony View Post
    All the information is here, don't expect to be spoon fed.
    slight fix and that quote is sig worthy!
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

10. #185 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    i must have f d somthing up when i did mine the fan was drawing way way to many amps i belive . ( never checked how many amps fan was drawing, couldnt find my amp clamp ) it was a pita was drawing hard on my stock alternator . and left me with a dead altnator the other day .. i want an efan but just couldnt wokr out why it drew so much power . do i need to replace the altnator.

11. #186 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Here's a thinker for everybody - running a Taurus fan with a 35 amp DC Control box. In-town with the AC, shitty dash gauge reads 210, nothing more. In my setup, when the AC is on, the fan is getting the full 35A from the box.

On the highway though, temps hold 1 tick above 210 (AC on). Is the Taurus fan running at 35A (full bore that I can hit it with) being counter-productive? AFAIK, there's no clutch to the Ford fan that cuts it out when more air is being pushed at it than it can pull.

Bottom line: Should I wire a cutoff switch into the cab so I can kill the fan when on the freeway (65+ mph)?

I'm thinking one of these buggers:
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

12. #187 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter TrojanMan's Avatar
    I have a switch on mine but never turn it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    This thread proves that wheeling is better than the internet.
    Weavsworld: i dont know shit about MC, i just make it work

13. #188 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    So maybe my issue is a dirty condenser/rad then - I'll hit it with the shop air and water hose this weekend and see what happens.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

14. #189 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    MY Jeep has always run hot on the highway after I lifted it and added a front bumper, big tires, etc. Unless it starts getting close to 260* I don't worry about it.

This was with the stock fan, a 99 WJ fan and the Taurus fan, so it's not a fan issue for sure.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

15. #190 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    What continuous duty 40-50amp relay can I grab from the junk yard?

Does anyone know if I could grab said relay from a fuel pump or maybe AC? All the relays I've seen are the plug-kind that wouldn't mount easily.

I can get relays for dirt cheap at the yard- I'm trying to avoid the $30 Bosch new. I grabbed a Ford starter relay today- but after reading this thread, I think I'll forgo the starter variety relays and look for a 100% duty one.

Any thoughts?

For wire size check out this chart: Looks like 5-6 gauge would be ideal for MAX power transmission. On the other hand, you could get away with 12 gauge wiring and probably not melt it.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
    Last edited by cooperzj; 09-04-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Wire gauge chart
    My Junk
    ! ______
    / ] ] ]\___\,__
    L--|-|-|---[]|||[]
    ()_)....()_)---)_)

93' 5.2L, 35" Cooper Discovers, Custom Bumpers, CB, SOA rear, 8.8, 4.5" front springs, Warn M8000, 231, some other junk.

16. #191 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    10 gauge is fine. That is what is stock on the Taurus.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

17. #192 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    fpkites helped me install my taurus fan a few weeks back w/the DCControl modulator box. Does anyone know which wire going into the A/C Compressor I need to connect my blue wire to? Apparently my wires have a different color scheme then his did...thanks!

18. #193 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturalhoosier View Post
    fpkites helped me install my taurus fan a few weeks back w/the DCControl modulator box. Does anyone know which wire going into the A/C Compressor I need to connect my blue wire to? Apparently my wires have a different color scheme then his did...thanks!
    What year and motor?

19. #194 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    His is a 98 with the 5.2. Wire colors at the compressor were not colored as obvious as mine.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

20. #195 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    His is a 98 with the 5.2. Wire colors at the compressor were not colored as obvious as mine.
    Thanks! I guess that is good info to know!

21. #196 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    It's the dark blue/yellow wire in case anyone encounters the same issue. I got the rest of it wired up today! >

22. #197 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    vv ccfcfvvxI actually installed the fan last spring but didn't take any pics at the time. I originally had it setup to manually but recently bought a Hayden controller setup and wired it in. Since it was apart at the time I took some pics.

For the physical install I actually bolted the Taurus into the stock V8 shroud using self tapping screws. The bottom of the shroud opening needed to be opened up a bit but not much. Doing it this way allows me to simply drop the fan assembly back into the stock mounting points, no custom fabbing needed. Also its super fast to pull the fan for repairs(belt replacement, etc) or to hose out the rad at the car wash, just pull the two 10mm nuts holding the shroud on.

The hole was drilled with a hole saw to allow the stock plug to pass thru. I kept as much of the original wiring as possible.

Including the fuse and holder. I'm running a 40amp fuse. You can see it in the pic bolted to the battery hold down bolt.

Sorry thats it for pics. I'll do a quick writeup of the wiring.

Getting a relay that can handle that much power is essential. I've seen lots of people have trouble on the trail because they used a 30amp Bosch relay like for offroad lights. Its no big enough for the Taurus fan. The easiest to find is a selonoid like for a starter, but it must but rated for continous duty, similar to the ones used for winches or dual battery setups. They are easiest to find in the RV section of most autopart stores.

The setup is controlled by a 3 way switch on the center console next to the shifter. Off is center, up is on(override), and down is automatic.

The Hayden controller is powered by the 3 way switch when in automatic. It has of the type that has a probe in the fins on the rad. When the preset temp is reached it triggers the solenoid for the fan. It also has an auxiliary wire tied into the AC clutch wire to activate it when the AC pump is engaged.

The other wire from the 3way switch goes directly to the selonoid and activates it regardless of waht the Hayden controller is doing, no power actually goes to the conroller in this position.

When the 3 way switch is in the off position no power goes to the Hayden controller and the unit will not activate.

I'm actually only using the "high" function of the Taurus fan, wiring in the low side was too complicated as you need a lockout to prevent the low and high from coming on at the same time. Also when I had it wired up manually low didn't seem to do much.

So far its been a good mod, only draw back is that it does suck back the power. I worry about draining the battery at idle and I will mostly likely upgrade the alt very soon. Warm up at cold temps ar super fast, 5 min to operating temp at -25C. I still had some overheating issues with it last summer but I think my rad maybe plugged with mud and I usually forgot to engage the fan till it was getting hot(3/4 mark+). However simply stopping and idling for a few minutes brings the temps back down super quick.

A good upgrade though and I like how easy it is to work on the engine. I've had to do an alt and PS pump since it went on and not having the mechanical fan in the way makes it easy to work on.

I've been carrying the mechanical fan for a a few months now as a back up, since the shroud is still there it would be easy to put back on, but its been working pretty good since the Hayden controller went in so I think I can leave it a home now.

I do think I'll need a bigger alt though. I fried my first one not too long after installing it but I didn't have the Hayden controller on yet so I often just turned it on and left it on. My second alt with the controller seems to be doing fine but I haven't had it in really hot temps yet.
    Last edited by cLAYH; 01-24-2009 at 03:47 PM.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

23. #198 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I got a question about my Taurus fan. It's making noise, can I spray lubricant directly into the motor or not?
    97 5.2;NP231,RE 6.5"LA;ACOS;Dynatrac D44/ProRock60 & ARBs;ARB front bumper/remote Warn/Viking line;KOR rear carrier bumper,rack,slidz,diff skit;RonDavis Alum radiator/E fan;Fitch Catakyst;FIPK;front SwayLoc & rear AntiRock;Kings;Hellas;Hi steer/brace/TomLee ram assist;4XD tank skid;35"KM2 beadlocked 5&5.5 lugs;Hushpower II;hood vents

24. #199 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

25. #200 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    For people who have Taurus fan, what alternator you use? or you still use the same factory alternator without problem.
    97 5.2;NP231,RE 6.5"LA;ACOS;Dynatrac D44/ProRock60 & ARBs;ARB front bumper/remote Warn/Viking line;KOR rear carrier bumper,rack,slidz,diff skit;RonDavis Alum radiator/E fan;Fitch Catakyst;FIPK;front SwayLoc & rear AntiRock;Kings;Hellas;Hi steer/brace/TomLee ram assist;4XD tank skid;35"KM2 beadlocked 5&5.5 lugs;Hushpower II;hood vents

Thread Information