Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Ford Taurus fan.. - Page 7

Thread: Ford Taurus fan..

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. #151 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Removing it to see differences isn't a big project.

Reinstalling it if there is no difference or is a detriment is not a big project either.

Just don't rip and throw it away!

My only question which still remains is does it have an impact on fresh air intake to the interior?
    Gene Hubert ~ Doesn't Matter ~ Vallejo, CA
    a Grandpa that tags along with the Big Boys
    97~LTD~5.2~5~32s~231~4.56 ARB~ARMORED!

2. #152 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneHubert

My only question which still remains is does it have an impact on fresh air intake to the interior?
    It would at low speeds, because the HVAC system would be sucking in all that air from under the hood. On the street it wouldn't matter.
    Fortunately, we're not getting nearly as much government control as we're paying for.

3. #153 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by J B
    It would at low speeds, because the HVAC system would be sucking in all that air from under the hood. On the street it wouldn't matter.
    Just as I thought.... And of course, that effects the inside temperature on the trail, doesn't it....

4. #154 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I used to run on the trail with my hood popped open (just the safety latch keeping it down), and that semmed to help a little, but not much.
    I have done the same on previous occasions, helps on on the beach when working hard to get through the soft sand. was a little nervous that it was going to pop all the way open at anything over 15mph.

5. #155 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneHubert
    Just as I thought.... And of course, that effects the inside temperature on the trail, doesn't it....
    Yep, unless it's cold out and you need the heat, then it works in your favor.

Fortunately, we're not getting nearly as much government control as we're paying for.

6. #156 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Varkyl's Avatar
    Unless you have the a/c set to MAX/recirc. Then your not pulling any outside air.
    '96 ZJ slightly modded with more in the works (5.3L HP44 and SF 14b)
    '03 WJ Limited 4.7HO - just starting the journey

7. #157 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    True....

8. #158 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Or just crank down the window and enjoy the outdoors!
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

9. #159 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    When it's 100* outside and the humidity is 70%, there's no enjoying that.

10. #160 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Pussy.

I usually just run the A/C on high with the window open. I do the same in the winter, only with the heat on.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

11. #161 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Shit, weather like that will give you a heat stroke. Wheeling in hot humid weather in a black leather interior is no fun. The last time I wheeled in weather that was really hot, I drank water and gatorade non-stop for 4 hours, and I never once had to pee.

I also think it's interesting that some guy from Idaho is calling me a pussy for the weather that we have here in the summer.

12. #162 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    do u guys think it would be ok to run the hayden control but put a 3 way switch on the fan lead... then hook up the low side directly to one side and on the high side use a 40-60 amp relay and conect it to the other side of the switch?

that way both sides will be temp controlled.

im diggin in to this on tuesday so i need to figure it out asap.

thx in advance!
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

13. #163 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95
    do u guys think it would be ok to run the hayden control but put a 3 way switch on the fan lead... then hook up the low side directly to one side and on the high side use a 40-60 amp relay and conect it to the other side of the switch?

that way both sides will be temp controlled.

im diggin in to this on tuesday so i need to figure it out asap.

thx in advance!
    I have been using a Hayden control for 2 years with the Hayden controling the low fan going through a three way switch with two relys (one for the low (Hayden) and one for high). Three way is set up for Low (Hayden), OFF and High.

I guess you could eliminate the relays if you wanted to run big wire and use a big switch.

My works fine and relays are not that expensive, just go for 40 to 50 amp and cycle the fan to run low and then switch to high to prevent major current pull at start up.

Good luck

14. #164 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    i was thinking something like this.. the low side would use the hayden 30amp relay.

what u think?
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

15. #165 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    what about using the heated seat contols to operate the fan? i imagine id have to play with the switch a bit, but would it be able to handle it?
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

16. #166 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    easiest way to remove the clutch fan is to place a lady finger on the edge of the nut angled in the direction to remove it and give it a whack with a ball peen hammer you may not feel it move at first but when i is knocked loose you can just spin it off no need to hold the pullys in place

17. #167 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Member Lifetime Supporter AQHACowboy's Avatar
    I was wondering if anyone has done this swap on a WJ. I have searched and have not found anything about a WJ.
    Danny

2000 WJ Laredo (Daily Driver)
    4.0 I-6 4x4 186,000+ miles and still going strong.
    2007 Tahoe (Wife's truck)
    Fully loaded

18. #168 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by AQHACowboy
    I was wondering if anyone has done this swap on a WJ. I have searched and have not found anything about a WJ.
    A fan is a fan. I obtained the majority of my information for the swap from a Mustang conversion. Then found that is popular for Drag Racers that want to control the cool downs between heats.

I do know that for my 5.2, low fan works the best on the thermostat and doesn't need high fan until in extreme heat and long pulls on the trail. So I set up the low on a Hayden thermostat to a relay, then put the high to another relay, then put the set up through a three way so I can run on the 'automatic' mode using the thermostat, completely off (water crossings) and manual high.

I did not run the power through the ignition, which wouldn't be hard, but let it cool the system down after I stop. Hasn't been an issue except for the fan going on and off after shutting down.

Hope that helps. It has been up and running over 2 years without a hitch!
    Last edited by GeneHubert; 11-24-2006 at 10:45 AM.

19. #169 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I have been seriously looking in this as one of my mods to the ZJ. The only thing that I am unsure about is, What is holding the Efan shroud on the bottom?? And if anyone has pics that would be great!
    -TheCompound

20. #170 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    depends if u mount it at the top or not...

on mine it slips into the track at the bottom because mines at the bottom.. u will see it right away when u start

but if u mount it at the top u have the top supports u have to make and then u can buy these zip tie thingys to hold the bottom from floppin around. the top mounts hold the wieght

21. #171 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95 View Post
    depends if u mount it at the top or not...

on mine it slips into the track at the bottom because mines at the bottom.. u will see it right away when u start

but if u mount it at the top u have the top supports u have to make and then u can buy these zip tie thingys to hold the bottom from floppin around. the top mounts hold the wieght
    You mean like the through the radiator ties??
    -TheCompound

22. #172 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    yeah..

right now mine is sliped in the track at the bottom and i just have zip ties holding the top... not the best and need to change it but it has worked for like 6 months now...

23. #173 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95 View Post
    yeah..

right now mine is sliped in the track at the bottom and i just have zip ties holding the top... not the best and need to change it but it has worked for like 6 months now...
    Hey thanks, my little bro lives done in Tuscon. If I get the ZJ even done we will all have to get together and have a
    -TheCompound

24. #174 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    np..

haha ... to bad im not of age...

but we can go wheelin or whateva...

25. #175 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCompound View Post
    I have been seriously looking in this as one of my mods to the ZJ. The only thing that I am unsure about is, What is holding the Efan shroud on the bottom?? And if anyone has pics that would be great!
    -TheCompound
    I used the push through connectors. The type you get with a transmission cooler. These worked fine for a year and a half before i sold it (i am sure it is still working). On top i did exactly what Swamp Boy did. Again worked fine, no rubbing and everything was solid.
    Last edited by DCHZJ; 04-05-2007 at 03:18 PM.
    Im not crazy cuz i take the right pills every day

My Old ZJ

My Rover
    '74 Land Rover Series III 109 Ex Norwegian Military. Right now the only things holding it together are a few rust gremlins holding hands

Thread Information