Thread: Ford Taurus fan..

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. #76 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp boy
    Since I am one of those lazy americans I am going to suggest the battery method...
    yep, battery method would have been my approach too! I just wanted to be sure to have the correct ground not to burn the fan motor! Overseas shipping by air freight was not cheap...
    `93 ZJ 4.0

...only dead fish go with the flow...

2. #77 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    So far, I'm not seeing what the big deal is with the Taurus fan. I got mine up and running this weekend.

First off, it doesn't fit as well as everyone says. The width is dead on, but it's 3" shorter than the core on my radiator. So I have 3" worth of the top of the radiator that gets no airflow at all, and that's where the hottest fluid is.

I'm running it on low for now, and I know that won't be enough. My temp was running over 210* yesterday, and it was only 82* here. Granted, I had the A/C blasting trying to load the cooling system as much as possible, but I was also just driving around town too. It won't have a chance to keep this thing cool when it's 95* outside, or when doing any kind of wheeling.

I'm looking at using some sheetmetal to extend the shroud, sealing up all of the gaps between the shroud and the radiator, and probably running the thing on high speed instead of low.
    Fortunately, we're not getting nearly as much government control as we're paying for.

3. #78 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Of course the fan will not be enough to cool on low, that's about 1/8 throttle of the Taurus fan... The big deal is that it "almost" fits, is DIRT CHEAP, and moves more air than the overpriced aftermarket stuff. What's not to like?

You need to set it up right though, and that's not by wiring it on low

4. #79 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by J B
    So far, I'm not seeing what the big deal is with the Taurus fan. I got mine up and running this weekend.

First off, it doesn't fit as well as everyone says. The width is dead on, but it's 3" shorter than the core on my radiator. So I have 3" worth of the top of the radiator that gets no airflow at all, and that's where the hottest fluid is.

I'm running it on low for now, and I know that won't be enough. My temp was running over 210* yesterday, and it was only 82* here. Granted, I had the A/C blasting trying to load the cooling system as much as possible, but I was also just driving around town too. It won't have a chance to keep this thing cool when it's 95* outside, or when doing any kind of wheeling.

I'm looking at using some sheetmetal to extend the shroud, sealing up all of the gaps between the shroud and the radiator, and probably running the thing on high speed instead of low.
    i ran around with mine on low all last wk in 90+ w/ac with no issues
    93 ZJ- Homebrew Long Arms, BFG 315 KM2's,ARB Bump/Warn XD9000. few lights, d30 ox locked....8.8 w/ Eaton E locker, JCR rails
    74 CJ5- Cream Puff

5. #80 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    Of course the fan will not be enough to cool on low, that's about 1/8 throttle of the Taurus fan... The big deal is that it "almost" fits, is DIRT CHEAP, and moves more air than the overpriced aftermarket stuff. What's not to like?

You need to set it up right though, and that's not by wiring it on low
    Well, lots of people on here were talking about running it on low and having no issues. The only reason I replaced my clutch fan was because I issues keeping the thing cool on the trail. Otherwise, everything else was fine. And my issue was probably mostly due to a hosed fan shroud.
    Fortunately, we're not getting nearly as much government control as we're paying for.

6. #81 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by goodolboy71
    i ran around with mine on low all last wk in 90+ w/ac with no issues
    4.0L or 5.2?

7. #82 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 

I ran all over Moab at GSW with the fan on low mostly in 4 low or 2 low with the air on with no probs never got over 200*
    hear in Vegas in 110* in stop and go trafic with the air blowing and have never got over 210* with it on high.

8. #83 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    I have a fan in the shed now and will be running it with the Delta Controls control unit.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

9. #84 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue-Ball
    I have a fan in the shed now and will be running it with the Delta Controls control unit.
    what dont you have in your shed right now.
    08 tundra double cab 5.7 4x4

I am jeepless at the moment.

Sold- Stock 03 WJ, 4.7HO. lift coming soon.

Sold-97 ZJ laredo 4.0, 242 RE BB, 31" BFG MTs, custom rear storage boxs, magnaflow hi flow cat, flow 70 series, 2.5 inch exhaust, jks quicker discos and some other crap
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2221028

10. #85 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by violatedppl
    what dont you have in your shed right now.
    I have to admit that is a good one.

Lube it or Loose it!

11. #86 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    4.0L or 5.2?
    93 ZJ- Homebrew Long Arms, BFG 315 KM2's,ARB Bump/Warn XD9000. few lights, d30 ox locked....8.8 w/ Eaton E locker, JCR rails
    74 CJ5- Cream Puff

12. #87 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by goodolboy71
    Ok...I'm sure my 5.2 puts a little more stress on the cooling system than the 6 cylinder.

13. #88 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I have never had cooling issues with my 5.2 and this fan.. I do however have my fan pulled up to the top of the radiator.. Thats where you need it the most..

Make some small aluminum straps or something to hold it up to the top and it will work much better..
    Essen Sie den Schinken Sie dummer Llama...

93 ZJ cut to hell and crap welded on...

14. #89 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Staff
    So leave the open space at the bottom of the radiator correct? No need to make any custom shroud?

Lube it or Loose it!

15. #90 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Thats it.. .I have an open space at the bottom .. No problem so far...

It has been at least 2 years since I did this to mine... Maybe longer.. I am getting old and I cant remember well..
    Essen Sie den Schinken Sie dummer Llama...

93 ZJ cut to hell and crap welded on...

16. #91 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp boy
    Thats it.. .I have an open space at the bottom .. No problem so far...

It has been at least 2 years since I did this to mine... Maybe longer.. I am getting old and I cant remember well..
    Well, it was easy to just drop it in place and secure it. I was just concerned about whatever I would use to hold it up. I'm certainly going to wire it for high speed, and what I would really like to do is extend the shroud with some sheetmetal to cover the entire radiator core.

17. #92 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Ok...I'm sure my 5.2 puts a little more stress on the cooling system than the 6 cylinder.
    maybe, but low should be enough i am willing to bet with using hi speed with ac on for the extra load.....supposedly the motor used on the 5.9 electric fan is the same 2 speed seimens fan motor that is used for the 3.8 a fella found out a few yrs ago on another site...

maybe try to find a 5.9 fan shroud if you dont feel like hackin one out
    74 CJ5- Cream Puff

18. #93 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Staff
    How did you guys attach the bottom of the fan? I see the metal straps on the top, just not sure what you did on the bottom or did you just let it hang there??

Lube it or Loose it!

19. #94 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I just put my Taurus fan in last weekend. It fits in the tabs on the bottom (mine is mounted to the bottom because it won't clear the water pump pulley to mount farther up) and the sides snap into the lip on the radiator. Once you start positioning it in there you'll see right away how it's going to fit.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

20. #95 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Staff
    Cool I am sure I will see as I have the radiator out and the fan, playing with it all.

Lube it or Loose it!

21. #96 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L
    (mine is mounted to the bottom because it won't clear the water pump pulley to mount farther up)
    If you have a 4.0 sixshooter, you could use the XJ waterpump & pulley which gives additional 1.5" clearance to mount the taurus fan to the top of the radiator. I did so on mine and it worked fine...

Frank
    `93 ZJ 4.0

22. #97 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Staff
    So the fan will not fit with the stock water pump??

Lube it or Loose it!

23. #98 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue-Ball
    So the fan will not fit with the stock water pump??
    mine does...i just trimmed it down a little, and instead of trying to slid it in and get around the pulley, just lossened the top crossbar over the radiator and pulled it forward, then slid it in and checked it out to see if it fit.
    74 CJ5- Cream Puff

24. #99 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Staff
    Well I am digging into it tomorrow will try to get some pix of it to add to this thread.

Lube it or Loose it!

25. #100 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I won´t say it will not fit, but its for sure very close between pulley and fan shroud. On mine the waterpump was due to replacement anyhow so I decided for the XJ pump and pulley to gain those extra 1.5 inch space.

Regards Frank
    `93 ZJ 4.0

Thread Information