Thread: Ford Taurus fan..

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Paypal will be cool .. But dont start sending your money yet.. I still have to go to the yards and find them. But last time I was there I found 5 and I wasnt even looking..
    Essen Sie den Schinken Sie dummer Llama...

93 ZJ cut to hell and crap welded on...

Any word on the taurus fans?

I did say next weekend didnt I..

My daughters birthday is Holloween so I wasnt able to do anything this weekend .. I am going next weekend..

Carl

Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Fans are put on hold Carl tripped on his fuzzy pink pillows and smugged his makeup.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    Is Carl patched up? If so Chad is interested in a fan also....

Chad

Sorry it took me so long to get the fans but its been a crazy time lately..
    Work has gone nuts and I recently started having to maintain another restaurant.. IN MIAMI>>>> .. So anyway.. I have been doing alot of travel and such lately.. But I am home for a while.. I went to the yard the other day and I found one fan.. Its in my garage..

Who wants it...

I will go back and look agian Probobly this sunday.. SInce I am certainly not going back to Miami any time soon.. Its not a long flight but going there working and coming home is starting to suck..

Anyway.. 1 fan ready to go...

Kraqa was first so he gets first dibs..

Carl

Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    * cough.

i'm here.

let me get my paypal working again
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

Just PM me when you are ready..

For you other guys .. I am going again some time this week.. Ill let you know what I find....

Carl

I remember this thread today while I was installing my fan. Any reason you installed the fan upside down?

I put mine lower on the radiator, so the clips on the bottom of my radiator "lock" into the shroud. I was going to put it up higher, but the water pump pulley was in the way. I guess if I put it upside down though it may have fit.

I was thinking after that with it being lower it will dip in the water/mud more... but fuck it. If the motor burns up, I'll get a new one. I'm pretty happy with my install, came out really clean actually.

I have a bling Flex a lite controller that I'm going wiring in sometime. It's only rated to like 25 or 30 amps... Kolak said it would be fine though... hope it is... I will be pissed as hell if my Jeep burns down.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

Yup... Upside down to clear water pump... Not like it matters which side is up on a fan...

Oh yeah... I am running a temp sensor on my low side it has held up for quite a while...

Carl

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter TrojanMan's Avatar
    http://www.4x4mods.com/Product/Jeep/rockerswitches.html These switches (fan) would look extra bling for this project.

Also.. without the fan on the water pump, wouldn't this make the water pump flow more? (weight and air resistance from fan are no longer present).. also this means less strain on the belt.. more HP! Someone take this to the dyno.

As soon as the stroker is built and in, I'll probably put one in mine.. I think there are a few at my junkyard, except I have tons with the dual fans. If I find any i'll take pics and post up!
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    This thread proves that wheeling is better than the internet.
    Weavsworld: i dont know shit about MC, i just make it work

It gives you a little extra HP..

More importantly it relieves strain on the engine and water pump .. And feels a ton better...

Update for you 4.0 people - I got mine installed today, I had to cut my water pump studs in half, though. I pretty much bolted the water pump pulley back on w/ lock washers, then cut the studs 2 threads back or so.

I used metal strapping found at lowes and self tapping sheet metal screws to hold everything together. I ran out of energy before I got the wiring perfect, but so far it's looking good.

*edit* I also had to cut about 1" of plastic off of the top of the fan molding.

I just replaced the pully studs with some grade 8 bolts. I also upgraded my altentator to 136 as most 4.0 come with a 90. The pully is 7 grove instead of six but i left it alone and it has worked fine for like a year or so.

15. #40 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by bambamzj
    I just replaced the pully studs with some grade 8 bolts. I also upgraded my altentator to 136 as most 4.0 come with a 90. The pully is 7 grove instead of six but i left it alone and it has worked fine for like a year or so.
    You can take the stock alternator and the 5.9 alternator to a parts store and they'll swap the pulleys for free.

16. #41 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    how do you mount this for a 4.0 after you take the old shroud and can off? anyone got a picture?

17. #42 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    Perma-Cool 19117 18" fan works well for the 4.0 using the stock shroud and some work to the bracket that comes with it. I put the motor towards the radiator, reversed the polarity and used a Flex-a-lite varible speed controller. It's been working well for me so far - and since it doesn't kick on until the engine gets hot, the heater works very quickly. Since I'm a stickler over details, most people don't even notice that it's not stock. The downside is it's more expensive than the Taurus fan (but it doesn't have the current draw of the Taurus fan either).

I still keep my Hayden HD clutch and fan around just in case the electric one craps out - but there hasn't been any problems (yet)!

18. #43 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    High speed relay blew out recently. I'm not 100% sure if it's the relay or one of the connections. The insulation around the connections to the relay is looking black.. I should have used bigger wire. Good news is I can't tell a difference between high speed and low speed with the exception of noise and voltage drop. low cools just as well as high.

19. #44 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    My fan just died a few days ago. First it started to make grinding noises like a bearing was going out. Next day the engine started smoking and it quit working. Tomorrow i'm going to see if the high side will work - hopefully there are two seperate motors. I think I might have to put a temperature controlled switch on it. I don't think it was made to run continuously.

Good news is I've been driving around without a fan just fine. The only time it heats up is when i'm sitting in traffic or what not. That's when it gets dangerous... but highway is 100% fine without a fan.

20. #45 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I'll warn you guys using the Ford starter relay....that thing isn't meant for continuous duty and it won't last long. You might get a few months out of it or something, but they will die. I used them for something several years back (I forget what, might have been a fan). I eventually just changed it out for a good relay since I got tired of replacing them.

If you're using the Ford starter relay, make sure you keep a spare handy.
    Fortunately, we're not getting nearly as much government control as we're paying for.

21. #46 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    For those that did this mod, how did your fan sound while it was still running well? Mine just came, and it seems to work fine but I'm not sure if it sounds right. It doesn't sound like it's "grinding" but it sounsd like there's mude against somthing.

I guess I'll take it apart and take a look.

22. #47 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    been running mine for a little over 1 1/2 yrs now.....i had problems with the realys at first, ran 2 40 amps that kept burning up, and the starter relay that burned up too, i finally went with the big bosche one and its been gret for a yr now with the diode in place....now it seems like the high speed isnt as high as it used to be, use to when it came on it was loud roar moving the air, now it faster than slow speed, but not as fast as it was.

the noise you are hearing, mine sounds fine running, but when it kicks off it makes a little not grinding noise, but kinda like what you are describing, but its done that since day one so i havent bothered with it...i need to put a switch on mine so its not running when i am on the interstate cause its not needed like Trojan said...mine is set on a temp switch but i dont have an interupt so that needs to go on soon i guess
    93 ZJ- Homebrew Long Arms, BFG 315 KM2's,ARB Bump/Warn XD9000. few lights, d30 ox locked....8.8 w/ Eaton E locker, JCR rails
    74 CJ5- Cream Puff

23. #48 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I am looking at doing this, but on low has anyone ever had a prob with cooling, more on the trail than city/highway. if not Im not sure I Would even hook up the high, but mybe
    08 tundra double cab 5.7 4x4

I am jeepless at the moment.

Sold- Stock 03 WJ, 4.7HO. lift coming soon.

Sold-97 ZJ laredo 4.0, 242 RE BB, 31" BFG MTs, custom rear storage boxs, magnaflow hi flow cat, flow 70 series, 2.5 inch exhaust, jks quicker discos and some other crap
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2221028

24. #49 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    so anyone who has run this successfully what relays did you use and how did you wire it up? Can you take some pics of the wiring since i think i might do this this weekend. i've wired lights radios and amps and shit but never had to do relays so some pics or how to would be great
    thanks
    Travis
    94 ZJ beaten broken and half dead
    231/35s/8.8/polished 30/locked f/r

25. #50 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Check out this (Click Here) from Full Size Bronco's Go through this thread it has everything you need.
    Im not crazy cuz i take the right pills every day

My Old ZJ

My Rover
    '74 Land Rover Series III 109 Ex Norwegian Military. Right now the only things holding it together are a few rust gremlins holding hands

Thread Information